• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A look into the Panthers future - Spoiler alert

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Neither of those guys had the injury red flags that Tua does, though. I wouldn't be completely against the pick but, man, it is an extremely high risk.

You whiff on that one(assuming a top 10 pick) and it sets the franchise back a minimum of 3-5 years if he struggles to stay healthy long term.

I agree with this---a first round QB needs to be a strategic move, not an act of desperation.  In the long run, it would be smarter to build the OL and DL and go with what we have--Allen with a good OL and strong D would be better than an injury prone rookie behind a bad line having to come from behind. For one year--and see what (if anything) we have in Grier.

This draft requires the GM to really do his homework. 
I have hoped Wake's Jamie Newman (His name is ironic--he would be the "new man") would stay a secret---he needs to sit for a year, but he has the skill set.  He needs some time in the film room and some work on his mechanics--(less than Cam did). 

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Neither of those guys had the injury red flags that Tua does, though. I wouldn't be completely against the pick but, man, it is an extremely high risk.

You whiff on that one(assuming a top 10 pick) and it sets the franchise back a minimum of 3-5 years if he struggles to stay healthy long term.

This was the old way of thinking.  It's why I want different leadership in the coaching and front office ranks.

The new NFL moves quickly, lightening fast, and the old guard just aren't willing to adapt.

Look at what Arizona did.  Draft Rosen, identify he ain't it, trade him and draft Kyler.  In the old days that just simply wasn't possible, but with the new rookie wage scale, it makes it pretty easy.

24 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

When is the last time we saw a sign and trade for a QB?

I cannot see that happening under any circumstances.

Im not sure we will have to sign and trade. He is alreadt on the payroll for next year. I think we can just trade him straight up and let the next team work out the deal hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Im not sure we will have to sign and trade. He is alreadt on the payroll for next year. I think we can just trade him straight up and let the next team work out the deal hopefully.

I'm responding to JI's sign and trade premonition.

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I agree with this---a first round QB needs to be a strategic move, not an act of desperation.  In the long run, it would be smarter to build the OL and DL and go with what we have--Allen with a good OL and strong D would be better than an injury prone rookie behind a bad line having to come from behind. For one year--and see what (if anything) we have in Grier.

This draft requires the GM to really do his homework. 
I have hoped Wake's Jamie Newman (His name is ironic--he would be the "new man") would stay a secret---he needs to sit for a year, but he has the skill set.  He needs some time in the film room and some work on his mechanics--(less than Cam did). 

The only way we should be trotting Allen back out next year is if we have exhausted all other options. He's a high caliber backup to low end journeyman. But, if the plan is to sacrifice him as Tank Commander for a season more, I suppose there is that.

Newman would be someone to take a late round flier on but that wouldn't make much sense for us. Grier and Allen are both cheap backups. Unless Grier is a complete disaster, we have no real reason to jettison him as a #3 QB. Newman is a developmental mid-round QB when we need starting QB. It just doesn't fit, especially when our entire team is loaded with needs.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You have forgotten how inept that franchise is. They will pass on Burrow.

I don't want to trade Cam as I don't think we will get much in return, considering his injury history and age. He's more valuable to the Panthers than anyone else.

Having said that, the Bengals are prime for the taking. IF the Panthers believe Burrow is the one, I can see them offering Cam, our 1st and a future year, conditional pick to get to the #1 spot. The problem is, Mike Brown isn't one for creativity, so it would be kind of a stretch. 

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

This was the old way of thinking.  It's why I want different leadership in the coaching and front office ranks.

The new NFL moves quickly, lightening fast, and the old guard just aren't willing to adapt.

Look at what Arizona did.  Draft Rosen, identify he ain't it, trade him and draft Kyler.  In the old days that just simply wasn't possible, but with the new rookie wage scale, it makes it pretty easy.

It is a lot harder to trade a guy with a serious injury history. That's the difference. It's easy to get rid of a young talented player because, "It'll be different this time! I can get my guys to coach him up!" There isn't as much, "Our doctors are better than theirs! He won't have any high ankle sprains anymore!"

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

A team in Miami as well--but--

(Devil's advocate)

We trade Cam and package a trade up. 

Me, you ask?  I think there are three NFL QBs in this draft--Burrow, Tua, and the developmental Newman from Wake--he has the tools, and I could see us sitting gettng a shot or two at him.  Call me crazy---

I think a healthy Tua would be a great fit, but I'm not convinced he will recover fully from his injury. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It is a lot harder to trade a guy with a serious injury history. That's the difference. It's easy to get rid of a young talented player because, "It'll be different this time! I can get my guys to coach him up!" There isn't as much, "Our doctors are better than theirs! He won't have any high ankle sprains anymore!"

Then you cut him, or leave him there as a backup.  What I'm saying, is these contracts aren't nearly as painful as years past, allows you to gamble more than teams used to.

23 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Well, your hypothetical "next team" ain't gonna do that without getting Cam's sig on an extension.

And Newton likely isn't gonna report to that "next team" without one.

Ain't a single team in this league going to send higher round draft picks on a hope-and-a-prayer.

Archived