• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A look into the Panthers future - Spoiler alert

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hello there and thank you for visiting the Huddle.

Last night I performed a ritual that allowed me a glance into the Carolina Panthers short term future. The ritual was performed by drinking spoiled goats milk out of a commemorative Super Bowl 50 beer stein while simultaneously forcing myself to re-watch every moment of the Panthers at 49ers game. This put my body into such a state of disappointment and disgust that I was transported into early 2020.

The following is an account of what I witnessed.

New Coach

The Carolina Panthers hired Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach soon after the Minnesota Vikings were eliminated from the playoffs. Stefanski fit perfectly the mold that Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper was seeking in a new head coach. An offensive mind that is open to new practices in analytics but still seasoned enough to have the old school football mentality. Stefanksi was extremely excited to have an offense with legitimate play makers at skill positions to work with as head coach. The biggest question would be quarterback.

Cam Newton

The Carolina Panthers and Cam Newton were at an impasse. Newton was unwilling to play a season with only one year left on his contract. The Panthers were unwilling to extend Newton over concerns about his foot but also his shoulder. The franchise was not willing to gamble a third consecutive season on Cam's health and lose again. No blame could be placed on either party as they both wanted what was best for themselves. The Panthers sign-and-traded Newton in return for a 2nd round selection in the 2020 draft and a third round selection in the 2021 draft. Newton got a multi year contract and the Panthers got at least something in return.

The NFL Draft

In an amazing turn of events, LSU Quarterback Joe Burrow drops to to #5 as the Dolphins opt for Tua. The Panthers use picks to trade up from 7 and grab Burrow. Burrow becomes the day one starter with Will Grier as his backup. The rebuild is fully on and jump started by grabbing the next franchise QB of the Carolina Panthers.

The rest of the draft focused heavily on the offensive and defensive lines with of course Hurney reaching in the third round for an unathletic safety.

Do not flame me for the things I write for they were not of my own cognition. They were a vision implanted by the football gods themselves. Now, go ye and be merry, for although the darkest days are ahead, a new hope will soon arise.

Love,

JI

Here is what I saw

Coach

Mike McCarthy- the rumors of his name floating around were true.  The fellow Pittsburgh native gets hired on by Tepper.  People arent so happy but will get over it.  Tepper saw the little bit of old school mixed with the Willing to be more analytical.

Cam

Agreed here.  There was a mutal seperation and very emotional one like TD's departure.  Olsen also decides to retire and the last remaining pieces of the old Shula offense are gone.  Cam gets traded for a 2nd and 2021 4th.

Draft

Justin Herbert- no Joe Burrow, does not fall out of the top 3.  And in fact, Miami still take Tua at the top.  The Panthers trade the 2nd and future 4th from Cam and move up for..............Herbert.  people freak out on the Huddle, "What the he11 in Hurney doing!"  Herbert is who Tepper likes all along.  The Big Body, Strong arm kid not only is the perfect guy to replace Cam.  But reminds Tepper of a young successful Big Ben who he had in Pittsburgh. 

After that they hit the trenches, trading away this years 4th round pick to move up for a DT who was projected in the 1sts but fell out.  Raekwon Davis. 

And a OL in rd 3.

The one other thing I saw.  Some how, some way Hurney pulled off a trade sending Kyle Allen for a mid round pick.

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Here is what I saw

Coach

Mike McCarthy- the rumors of his name floating around were true.  The fellow Pittsburgh native gets hired on by Tepper.  People arent so happy but will get over it.  Tepper saw the little bit of old school mixed with the Willing to be more analytical.

Cam

Agreed here.  There was a mutal seperation and very emotional one like TD's departure.  Olsen also decides to retire and the last remaining pieces of the old Shula offense are gone.  Cam gets traded for a 2nd and 2021 4th.

Draft

Justin Herbert- no Joe Burrow, does not fall out of the top 3.  And in fact, Miami still take Tua at the top.  The Panthers trade the 2nd and future 4th from Cam and move up for..............Herbert.  people freak out on the Huddle, "What the he11 in Hurney doing!"  Herbert is who Tepper likes all along.  The Big Body, Strong arm kid not only is the perfect guy to replace Cam.  But reminds Tepper of a young successful Big Ben who he had in Pittsburgh. 

After that they hit the trenches, drafting a stud DT who fell out of the 1st with the 2nd round pick.  And a OL in rd 3.

wow.

it gets worse and worse

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Don’t know anything about goats milk but I was drinking some 109 proof Private Select out of my Panthers mug I got on Amazon and I saw the following;

Cam wearing a Bears jersey running for 150 against our defense 

Ron Rivera wearing a cowboy hat 

Kyle Allen starting game 1 in 2020

Damn the cowboys and Jerry Jones are really that dumb when it comes to football?

11 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Half the fans on this board are begging for Tua or Hurts... both black QBs.

Yup that narrative has been exposed as ignorant race baiting.  I know i've maintained for years that Russell Wilson is the best QB in the league since 2015 and given the comparisons to Tua i'm praying hard for the Alabama kid.

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Don’t know anything about goats milk but I was drinking some 109 proof Private Select out of my Panthers mug I got on Amazon and I saw the following;

Cam wearing a Bears jersey running for 150 against our defense 

Ron Rivera wearing a cowboy hat 

Kyle Allen starting game 1 in 2020

I could see all of these---#2 especially

I think we should play Grier a few games now--

2 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Yup that narrative has been exposed as ignorant race baiting.  I know i've maintained for years that Russell Wilson is the best QB in the league since 2015 and given the comparisons to Tua i'm praying hard for the Alabama kid.

I don't know how good that comparison is. Wilson spent three years behind bad OL's and with mediocre WR's in college, which largely shaped his ability to make plays when everything breaks down.

Tua has played with literal who's who of elite recruits and NFL talent, so he has not had to do the same things. 

I would be highly skeptical of Tua given injury history. If we cannot adequately protect a guy like Cam Newton, how are we going to protect a guy like Tua? I see an RGIII like pro career. Oft injured.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

When is the last time we saw a sign and trade for a QB?

I cannot see that happening under any circumstances.

Exactly. This is the NFL.How much dead money are you prepared to eat for those picks. 30M? 40M?  Because the guaranteed money better be that much for him to consider signing it. The whole idea falls flat right there. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I don't know how good that comparison is. Wilson spent three years behind bad OL's and with mediocre WR's in college, which largely shaped his ability to make plays when everything breaks down.

Tua has played with literal who's who of elite recruits and NFL talent, so he has not had to do the same things. 

I would be highly skeptical of Tua given injury history. If we cannot adequately protect a guy like Cam Newton, how are we going to protect a guy like Tua? I see an RGIII like pro career. Oft injured.

It was more in reference to the extreme accuracy and ball placement.  After watching Wilson and Brees tear us up for years, I just don't see how you can pass on finally having that in Carolina.

Just now, Toomers said:

Exactly. This is the NFL.How much dead money are you prepared to eat for those picks. 30M? 40M?  Because the guaranteed money better be that much for him to consider signing it. The whole idea falls flat right there. 

Agreed.  Cannot see that under any circumstances.

Wait, we do still have Marty in the building.

Nevermind.

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

Igo, I think you may have forgotten that there is an NFL franchise in Cincinnati who is all but guaranteed the first pick and really needs a franchise QB. Unless you are suggesting they are the team the Panthers trade Newton, Burrow will be gone by the first pick. Even if they trade for Newton and retain the 1st overall, the fact that they do not need a QB at that point, means they would be very likely to trade down to a team in real need of a franchise QB. 

Either way, Burrow isn't making it past the second overall pick.

A team in Miami as well--but--

(Devil's advocate)

We trade Cam and package a trade up. 

Me, you ask?  I think there are three NFL QBs in this draft--Burrow, Tua, and the developmental Newman from Wake--he has the tools, and I could see us sitting gettng a shot or two at him.  Call me crazy---

Just now, MVPccaffrey said:

It was more in reference to the extreme accuracy and ball placement.  After watching Wilson and Brees tear us up for years, I just don't see how you can pass on finally having that in Carolina.

Neither of those guys had the injury red flags that Tua does, though. I wouldn't be completely against the pick but, man, it is an extremely high risk.

You whiff on that one(assuming a top 10 pick) and it sets the franchise back a minimum of 3-5 years if he struggles to stay healthy long term.

Archived