• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you build the front office

SmokinwithWilly

I don't start a lot of topics in the Panthers forum, but here goes. With all the discussion and speculation about where the team and front office is going, how it's being put together, who is going to do it all, etc. I thought it might be worthwhile to throw the question here. How would you build the FO ideally? What do you think the team needs to establish a long term successful franchise.

My front office would look something like this.

General Manager (The Fist) - Title fits the job. Manage the overall operations but not actually do a lot of the leg work. Needs to be exceptionally organized, have a clear vision of team direction/building, and be able to get the best out of everyone. Needs to be able to find the right coach/directors to fit the team's "vision". The final calls are made here, but not without input from the following people (the fingers). 

Director of College Scouting - Name pretty much says it all. I could really see Hurney here. Drafting is one of the most key aspects to the success or failure of a team. Draft well and you can really set yourself for the future.

Director of Veteran Personnel - This would include evaluation of current players on the team as well as possible upcoming free agents. Also under this I would put some type of medical evaluation team to provide an independent view on recovery and limitations from post injury. The team can ill afford more Paradis and Williams type contracts. 

Director of Team Finances - Someone who specializes in this field to get the most out of our cap dollar as well as do contract negotiations. It's all about the bottom line. 

Director of Team Building - Someone who specializes in finding the right pieces for the vision. Would need to be able to evaluate history and rate the likelihood of long term success/failure of a player. This one is tough. We've all seen what can happen when an Otah or KB eats themselves right out of a job. This would be a difficult job, but I think that there are tells and that some of these things can be seen/prevented. Also would help new players navigate the transition to the NFL/new team. Less time required to focus on real life trivials, more time to focus on football.

Director of Analytics - Someone who crunches the numbers. One of the things Tepper really wants to implement.

Each of these "directors" would be an expert in their limited field. It's a lot to ask of any GM to be a master of 1 or 2, much less 4 or 5. I think the greatest chance of success lies in spreading out the responsibility to acquire information, and then being able to come together as a collaboration and make decisions. You're only as good as your information. Maximize strengths, minimize weaknesses. 

That's how I would do it. What about you?

President of the Panthers : overall in charge is the voice of Tepper and sees that Teppers vision is carried out on both the football and business side

VP of football operations : In charge of all the on the field aspects. Everything from field to equipment. answers to the President. 

VP of commercial operations:

Handles merchandise tickets sales and advertising. 

General Manager: handles player contracts , free agents and drafting. 

Assist GM: helps the GM and over the Scouts.

Director of scouts: oversees college and professional scouting.

Vp of Cap and analytical: oversees the department of number crunchers.

Then the rest as usual trainers etc etc 

7 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

i'm genuinely wondering how you're holding up with Gettleman being 2-10 in New York

About the same way as I was with Hurney runnkng this team to 2-14 then no one outside of the local radio wanting him near their organization. 

Archived