• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smartest article I have read on this whole sitation.

Jeremy Igo

This is the smartest article I have read on the happenings of this week and what may be to come.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cam-newton-decision-for-panthers-owner-david-tepper-is-a-little-more-complicated-than-firing-of-ron-rivera-072153582.html

Excerpts...

As one source put it: Tepper became a hedge-fund wizard because he was adept at staying ahead of his field by addressing need, opportunity and the winds of change before it became obvious to everyone else.

As one league source familiar with Tepper said on Tuesday, “I would bet he’s the smartest owner in the NFL at diagnosing how stress and recovery works in the financial [sector]. To him, a team is still a basic business enterprise — you sort of have leaders at every level of an organization, and you can make educated changes in that leadership to move things forward. As long as you’re deliberate and smart about the decisions, I’d argue if you’re a bright guy you’re going to make more good moves than bad ones.”

Found this fascinating as well, regarding last offseason. It both gives a little insight into the processes and makes it sound like this is a coveted job.

General manager candidates were literally freshening their resumes and reaching out to league advocates in anticipation that Tepper would make a move early in 2019.

It's naive to think hurney's role isn't going to be massively redefined and reduced and that Tepper would prefer his scouting people to embrace certain analytical means of scouting that hurney doesn't. 

Those things have been clear throughout the last couple days.

That article gives some good insight into how he approaches the decision making process and that he's using some of the same tactics that have made him so successful in the financial world. He's looking at a bigger and more long term picture and realizes that mistakes might be made along the way. And he'll correct them and he expects that from those who work for him. 

One thing is clear, he expects growth and evolution to take place. Adapt or die/be replaced.

Hurney may bring some good things to the table, but I don't know that his way of doing things jives with Tepper's. I'm getting the feeling it doesn't and that it's only a matter of time before we see a change there.

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's naive to think hurney's role isn't going to be massively redefined and reduced and that Tepper would prefer his scouting people to embrace certain analytical means of scouting that hurney doesn't. 

Those things have been clear throughout the last couple days.

That article gives some good insight into how he approaches the decision making process and that he's using some of the same tactics that have made him so successful in the financial world. He's looking at a bigger and more long term picture and realizes that mistakes might be made along the way. And he'll correct them and he expects that from those who work for him. 

One thing is clear, he expects growth and evolution to take place. Adapt or die/be replaced.

Hurney may bring some good things to the table, but I don't know that his way of doing things jives with Tepper's. I'm getting the feeling it doesn't and that it's only a matter of time before we see a change there.

From Andrew Mason, former Panthers staff writer, quoting Hurney as he spoke about the drafting of Greg Little...

Right now I'm leaning toward Marty being retained, although in a diminished capacity, through this next draft. After that it's wide open, especially given that Kevin Colbert's contract will have expired at that point.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Andrew Mason, former Panthers staff writer, quoting Hurney as he spoke about the drafting of Greg Little...

Right now I'm leaning toward Marty being retained, although in a diminished capacity, through this next draft. After that it's wide open, especially given that Kevin Colbert's contract will have expired at that point.

Analytics IS mediocrity. I am not looking forward to the future of this team. 

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Analytics is a big big deal for David Tepper, but you have to look at everything he said. He wants a mix of "old school discipline" in there as well.

Should mention, there's one message that comes out fairly clearly to me reading those comments.

Tepper thinks our current team is soft.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Analytics is a big big deal for David Tepper, but you have to look at everything he said. He wants a mix of "old school discipline" in there as well.

Should mention, there's one message that comes out fairly clearly to me reading those comments.

And they are. It shows on the field.

20 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Baseball used to be solely about your slash line, RBI’s, Average, Dingers. Now nobody even looks at those and WAR is god. That right there is advanced metrics and analytics. The Moneyball A’s (though greatly exaggerated for Hollywood) found gems by using Walks+OBP when no one else was looking at it. 

If Tepper feels like getting a few nerds in the building to review that sort of stuff to find players that may be undervalued, or uses it with innovative coaches because there is some statistical advantage to going for it on 4th instead of punting, I’m all for it. Those small tweaks can be game changers. 

I don’t see the harm it could do. If the team is a doormat for a decade using his analytics then sure we can all get the pitchforks out. But the Panthers have been a ~.500 mediocre team forever. Doesn’t hurt to try a new way IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Who doesn’t  think this team is soft ?    

Archived