• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Ron Rivera Presser streaming live at 8:15

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The whole "going home at five and not taking it with me" thing was something I can't remember hearing from any other coach. I'm not necessarily critical of it, it's just kind of unusual.

Hell, I think Capers slept in his office sometimes.

I don’t believe they should eat and breathe it for 24 /7 but staying over to get an advantage seems like the thing to do if you want to win and keep your job 

16 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Don’t forget. If the players don’t want to win, they won’t. If they are pissed, there goes teppers attempt at gathering analytics. Remember, like Ron hinted there’s only a few coaches left and a handful of players left from when he started. It just so happens those players are all captains. The players hold more sway than you think. They don’t have any hold on the new coaches. 

This isn’t dollar signs on a computer screen and smoozing clients. This is real people, a lot of whom aren’t going to be here next year anyways. Why do you think they would care what happens? 

You aren’t very bright

4 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Things start at the top. And right now the top isn’t looking that good at all. I don’t want to be the browns with their analytics or the redskins with their owner literally in every decision. 

I guarantee you Tepper was the one that wanted the defensive switch, see how that turned out.

I guarantee you Tepper was the one that told Ron to run certain plays at certain times. 

I guarantee you Tepper was the one that pulled the plug on cam. 

That does not trend well. I mean he said it himself Hurney is the best college talent evaluator? That does not bode well, Hurney can’t evaluate talent for poo outside of the first round. Which is really not that hard, you or I could do it. 

Hahahahahaha dear god kid really?

- Owner buys a new team and retains staff, staff produces 2 bad years

- Franchise QB gets hurt in preseason and is rushed back once again for benefit of masking coaching issues

- Head Coach takes over defense play calling and defense gets gashed every week 

- Owner fires said coach now everyone acts like he was amazing?

You have zero idea on any of your claims and if it took the owner telling the coaching staff Cam needs to heal the staff should have been fired that day no questions everyone saw the issue but the people that were supposed to. 

Hurney being a part of scouting is nothing to me, once we see who makes the calls then I’ll start worrying about those hypotheticals you mention 

44 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

After the 8-10 year comment, I am thinking he came to terms with his firing weeks ago, or even after last season.  I don't think he gave up, because I don't think that is in him, but at some point he might have looked at his point in the timeline and accepted that this is probably exactly what he thought from day one.

That sense of inevitability makes people more reflective on the big picture rather than the last 24 hours. 

It can also be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that was the case here. 

I agree, I got the sense that something changed before last season, and it happened to coincide with the change in ownership.  I think Ton was happy with what he did in the past and felt like his time was up here.

To further illustrate that mindset, someone asked towards the end if he had wished he could've finished out that last 4 weeks and he said, "sure, only if I knew we were going to win."  Well, that sounds like a caveat for someone who felt his time was up.

6 minutes ago, Cuttinedge said:

I don’t believe they should eat and breathe it for 24 /7 but staying over to get an advantage seems like the thing to do if you want to win and keep your job 

It's part of a high stress, high demand and high paying job. Highly paid executives at large corporations are also not really ever allowed to be "off." You are largely a 24/7 guy. It just goes with the territory.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It's part of a high stress, high demand and high paying job. Highly paid executives at large corporations are also not really ever allowed to be "off." You are largely a 24/7 guy. It just goes with the territory.

Exactly and Ron said from the start he wasn’t doing that. 

If u winning it isn’t a problem if u losing and getting curb stomped on the regular (and  out coached ) you may wanna put some OT in.  

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Rivera valued his family too much for that.

Even with the results being what they are, I have a hard time criticizing him for those priorities.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

And this right here is why this franchise is stuck in mediocrity for the past 25 years. 

fug their feelings. Produce or go home.

Am I wrong in stating, "If you didn't want to lose him, then maybe you should have played more disciplined"?

Ron is a player's coach. His guys love him. But did they love him because they knew win or lose, their jobs were secure?

Does this mean that some younger guys will see the field more? Does this mean that some of the lazy players will get ripped a new one for not doing their jobs? 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera valued his family too much for that.

Even with the results being what they are, I have a hard time criticizing him for those priorities.

The NFL is not known for it's work/life balance. In fairness, the insanity does have periods of time that are more relaxed. 

And I also don't think him not spending 24/7 dedicated to football was what led to his ultimate failure here. The resistance to change was the predominant factor.

The more I think about some of the things Ron said, I think the more clear it becomes how we got to this point.  All of our speculation about him being stubborn and not wanting to make adjustments?  I think he pretty clearly laid that out as fact.  He even said, regarding analytic-based decision-making, "figures lie, and liars figure."  Lol.  He then shared how Madden told him to trust his instincts and his experience above all else.  He then listed variables that analytics don't and can't account for in opposition to them.  So, it was pretty clear he was very rooted in his own approach and not necessarily embracing new ones.  

Also, him mentioning the highs and lows everywhere but NE...  as others have said, it's not accurate.  He mentioned PIT and BAL, well, they've each had maybe what?  1 down season in the last decade?  They are consistent winners.  And Baltimore essentially reset in 1 year and still made the playoffs bc they had contingency plans already in place aka prepared with adjustments before they even needed to make any.  Same with PIT.  They're down to essentially their 4th QB from camp and still winning.  Because they were prepared with adjustments before they had to be made.  Ron then blamed our injuries.  No doubt, Cam is a superstar when healthy.  Hell, he's better than most of the starting QBs in the league even at 75%...  but, that's not an excuse.  The Chiefs won without Mahomes.  The Steelers are winning no matter who they put in. The Saints won without Brees.  If you're prepared and have adjustments in mind before you need them, it makes a world of difference.  That is what cost Ron his job...  it's a microcosm of his time here and his one big flaw - too slow or stubborn to adjust or make changes, be it scheme, personnel or staff...  and belief that if you just keep doing it the original way you planned to do it, eventually you'll break through.  No.  Sometimes you have to change your way of thinking and doing to have that breakthrough. 

Regardless, best of luck Ron.  You're one of the really good guys in the league and the world, a great example to others, and a great leader.  

1 hour ago, MVPccaffrey said:

If Tepper thinks we're going to be the Patriots or Steelers anytime soon, he's more delusional than I though.  And I suppose those Steelers aren't good enough either, since he wanted to fire Tomlin as you constsntly point out @Mr. Scot

Unless he's willing to throw his $$$ around in an unprecedented manner, I see avlot of meddling and coach firing tantrums going forward.  Ugh.

he literally addressed this saying rome isnt built in a day

typical talking out off ass fan

Archived