• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Ron Rivera Presser streaming live at 8:15

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The press conference summed up Rivera’s strength and his limitations.  He is a character guy.  As Ickmule said, he is the kind of man your dad would want you to look up to.  I think that has served him well in life.

The downside is can’t adapt.  What makes the Belichicks of the world the Belichicks of the world is you see a different game plan every week, sometimes every half.  Rivera just doesn’t do that well. 

He also fell back on Cam’s injuries.  It is a valid point, but it only goes so far.  As someone said, the Steelers were gutted of key pieces this year, and if I am not mistaken have played games with their third QB.  Yet they are 7-5 and in the playoff hunt.  On paper, they look no better than the Panthers and maybe more vulnerable.

He will land on his feet.  I’ve seen his name speculated with the Giants, which would seem to be a good fit with their historical tendency toward defensive-minded head coaches (prior to Shurmer).  Jacksonville could also be a landing spot.  Dallas may make a change (who knows with Jerrah).  Cleveland, Detroit, and the Chargers could also be hiring, even though Kitchens is finishing year one in the mistake by the lake. 

A few things stick out.  He said when JR asked him how long he wanted to be a head coach, he said 8-10 years.  And his rationale was pretty consistent with why he was standing up there today.  His view of the role of analytics vs. Tepper’s was a problem.  And it was pretty clear that he felt like a good fit on the Richardson organization, but not as much in Tepper’s.

Good luck, Ron.  And do yourself a favor and stay away from Cleveland and Dallas.  Far away.

Perfect summation.

His refusal to change was his downfall and it will be moving forward. Nothing stays static and you have to be open to new ideas as a leader, even if you regard them with scepticism.

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

After the 8-10 year comment, I am thinking he came to terms with his firing weeks ago, or even after last season.  I don't think he gave up, because I don't think that is in him, but at some point he might have looked at his point in the timeline and accepted that this is probably exactly what he thought from day one.

That sense of inevitability makes people more reflective on the big picture rather than the last 24 hours. 

It can also be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that was the case here. 

Plausible.

16 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

If Tepper thinks we're going to be the Patriots or Steelers anytime soon, he's more delusional than I though.  And I suppose those Steelers aren't good enough either, since he wanted to fire Tomlin as you constsntly point out @Mr. Scot

Unless he's willing to throw his $$$ around in an unprecedented manner, I see avlot of meddling and coach firing tantrums going forward.  Ugh.

Ya, I’m really worried he’s going to turn into Dan Snider(sp?). 

Just now, jbland said:

I love it. What was he saying to them?

He said something about not having to answer Joe Person's questions about his job security anymore. Also thanked Jourdan Rodrigue for her article she wrote yesterday about his firing.

I don't remember what it was that Fowler asked but I remember feeling like Rivera's response was just a tad hostile. You could probably go back and watch it.

5 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

And it was just time to move on.    Ron isn't bad, it's middle of the road in coaching.    He won't push a team over the top.    He's John Fox.   He'll give stability to a team and keep them mostly respectable.   

This is where I see him, too.  Every year, there are teams that are a total mess and need a stabilizing force.  Fox found one in Denver post-McDaniels.  Ron will find his.

The Giants, Chargers, and Jaguars all fit that bill to varying degrees, and all could be landing spots for him.  Cleveland and Dallas are destined to always be messes under their current ownership.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think part of Ron's problem is that stability can turn into mediocrity if you don't keep pushing.

It often does.  The whole Riverboat thing was his version of pushing himself.  It didn't last, as it was out of his comfort zone.

Whatever and whoever led to the decision to transition to the Hybrid 3-4 probably also cemented stability vs. change in his mind. 

Dear god the people slobbing on Rivera’s knob must not have been watching the on the field product in years you know the thing he was fuging paid millions to help develop and build into a winner.

Good man, stable, blah blah who the fug cares? End of the day coaches are paid to win and Rivera proved he can’t do it consistently he’ll even back to back even with generational talents on the field. His defenses have only been good 3 out of 9 years and he had multiple and I mean in the hundreds of messed up time management, game management, awful play calls on 3rd down, letting teams come back every game, etc.

This is a business and fans and the owner want a winner, Rivera is not a winner, plain and simple. And the fact he had the nerve to ignore the poo that got him fired and instead parade how great he was with 3 division titles and stability etc is pathetic. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gotta say for myself, no way in hell would I do a press conference about my own firing.

if I were even asked about it, my most polite response would probably be "screw you, your mother, the horse you rode in on and anybody you ever cared about".

and this is why he is an amazing person, im going to miss him the next coach has HUGE foot steps to walk in. 

Archived