• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Ron Rivera Presser streaming live at 8:15

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Toker Smurf said:

Exactly my thought. He said a few days ago that he didn't accept mediocrity, either. Well, he basically just said that's the only option (or lose all the time I guess). Not the right mindset, I think.

Any idea how hard it would be to lose your job at approx 3:30 Pm and have to speak to the press  less than 24 hours later? I’m sure if he had a few more days this would have been a little different. 

If Tepper thinks we're going to be the Patriots or Steelers anytime soon, he's more delusional than I though.  And I suppose those Steelers aren't good enough either, since he wanted to fire Tomlin as you constsntly point out @Mr. Scot

Unless he's willing to throw his $$$ around in an unprecedented manner, I see avlot of meddling and coach firing tantrums going forward.  Ugh.

7 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Any idea how hard it would be to lose your job at approx 3:30 Pm and have to speak to the press  less than 24 hours later? I’m sure if he had a few more days this would have been a little different. 

Who exactly forced him to hold a press conference this morning?

The press conference summed up Rivera’s strength and his limitations.  He is a character guy.  As Ickmule said, he is the kind of man your dad would want you to look up to.  I think that has served him well in life.

The downside is can’t adapt.  What makes the Belichicks of the world the Belichicks of the world is you see a different game plan every week, sometimes every half.  Rivera just doesn’t do that well. 

He also fell back on Cam’s injuries.  It is a valid point, but it only goes so far.  As someone said, the Steelers were gutted of key pieces this year, and if I am not mistaken have played games with their third QB.  Yet they are 7-5 and in the playoff hunt.  On paper, they look no better than the Panthers and maybe more vulnerable.

He will land on his feet.  I’ve seen his name speculated with the Giants, which would seem to be a good fit with their historical tendency toward defensive-minded head coaches (prior to Shurmer).  Jacksonville could also be a landing spot.  Dallas may make a change (who knows with Jerrah).  Cleveland, Detroit, and the Chargers could also be hiring, even though Kitchens is finishing year one in the mistake by the lake. 

A few things stick out.  He said when JR asked him how long he wanted to be a head coach, he said 8-10 years.  And his rationale was pretty consistent with why he was standing up there today.  His view of the role of analytics vs. Tepper’s was a problem.  And it was pretty clear that he felt like a good fit on the Richardson organization, but not as much in Tepper’s.

Good luck, Ron.  And do yourself a favor and stay away from Cleveland and Dallas.  Far away.

29 minutes ago, Mitchl13 said:

The main thing to take away from this is that Rivera said that our issues did not happen until our quarterback got hurt. Is he wrong??

He's been mediocre the whole time he's been here.    Cam carried this team to the super bowl despite Ron's terrible, TERRIBLE game day coaching.    ZERO back to back winning seasons.   Don't give me the 7-9-1 division title season as anything that matters either.

Ron never learned how to use timeouts correctly and never understood challenges.     

Ron hardly ever had half-time adjustments.

Ron's teams routinely let teams come back toward the end of the game, many times we lost.     We lost a LOT of games by a few points.     He continously put this team in a "must make this field goal" to win situation because of letting teams back in the game.    I was sick of the "get back in the game" zone defense years ago he runs.

Ron would not let young guys play despite obviously being the better play.    He continously plugged in vets that were not performing.

Special teams under Ron have always been pretty bad.

Ron put Colin Jones on the field, WAY too much.

Ron continously neglected the safety position for most of his time here.

Shula was here for WAY too long.

And it was just time to move on.    Ron isn't bad, it's middle of the road in coaching.    He won't push a team over the top.    He's John Fox.   He'll give stability to a team and keep them mostly respectable.    But he's a dinosaur in this league with his thought processes.    Tepper didn't buy this team to be terrible.   I don't think he bought it to even make money, he already has more than he'll ever need.    He isn't JR that understood profit sharing and making money off other teams' fans each Sunday no matter what Panthers team we put out year after year.     Tepper doesn't lose and he's here for legacy and a hobby and probably ego.   

23 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

And this right here is why this franchise is stuck in mediocrity for the past 25 years. 

fug their feelings. Produce or go home.

It’s not about feelings, it’s about respect.

Its also obvious why Tepper made the move now, to see how this staff matches up without Ron, to get a jump on college coaches and to get more analytics. Analytics don’t win football games. It’s just a simple fact. 

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The press conference summed up Rivera’s strength and his limitations.  He is a character guy.  As Ickmule said, he is the kind of man your dad would want you to look up to.  I think that has served him well in life.

The downside is can’t adapt.  What makes the Belichicks of the world the Belichicks of the world is you see a different game plan every week, sometimes every half.  Rivera just doesn’t do that well. 

He also fell back on Cam’s injuries.  It is a valid point, but it only goes so far.  As someone said, the Steelers were gutted of key pieces this year, and if I am not mistaken have played games with their third QB.  Yet they are 7-5 and in the playoff hunt.  On paper, they look no better than the Panthers and maybe more vulnerable.

He will land on his feet.  I’ve seen his name speculated with the Giants, which would seem to be a good fit with their historical tendency toward defensive-minded head coaches (prior to Shurmer).  Jacksonville could also be a landing spot.  Dallas may make a change (who knows with Jerrah).  Cleveland, Detroit, and the Chargers could also be hiring, even though Kitchens is finishing year one in the mistake by the lake. 

A few things stick out.  He said when JR asked him how long he wanted to be a head coach, he said 8-10 years.  And his rationale was pretty consistent with why he was standing up there today.  His view of the role of analytics vs. Tepper’s was a problem.  And it was pretty clear that he felt like a good fit on the Richardson organization, but not as much in Tepper’s.

Good luck, Ron.  And do yourself a favor and stay away from Cleveland and Dallas.  Far away.

I think that early meeting with John Madden wound up being kind of a double edged sword.

On the one hand, it gave him the confidence to be who he was. The flipside though is that he got really stubborn about adapting.

It's conceivable that Madden's advice may ultimately have done him more harm than good.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gotta say for myself, no way in hell would I do a press conference about my own firing.

if I were even asked about it, my most polite response would probably be "screw you, your mother, the horse you rode in on and anybody you ever cared about".

After the 8-10 year comment, I am thinking he came to terms with his firing weeks ago, or even after last season.  I don't think he gave up, because I don't think that is in him, but at some point he might have looked at his point in the timeline and accepted that this is probably exactly what he thought from day one.

That sense of inevitability makes people more reflective on the big picture rather than the last 24 hours. 

It can also be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that was the case here. 

Archived