• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Ron Rivera Presser streaming live at 8:15

Jeremy Igo

It's hilarious Rivera wanted to reiterate the back to back to back division titles when one of those was due to winning the division with a LOSING record because the division was so terrible that year. Well I think most of us would like to reiterate that he had only THREE winning records out of nine seasons. 

All while not caring about the protection of his franchise QB while he ran for his life taking head shots every Sunday. All while letting the foot off the gas after getting up by a couple scores. All while having some pretty bad defenses for being supposedly a defensive genius. All while keeping terrible coaches on his staff because they were friends and never looking outside his inner circle for help. All while never taking any responsibility for anything and throwing players under the bus after supposedly being a players coach.

So he can talk his big game, but most of us know how much of a clown he is.

4 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Ron’s pride was his downfall. He has learned nothing from this. He just blamed injuries for his firing.

Exactly. He hasn't learned a thing and nothing during his time here showed he could learn or adapt. He talked really high of himself instead of taking responsibility for no back to back winning seasons.

It strikes me funny that two of the most memorable things about Rivera are his introductory presser (where he characterized his coaching as something it never actually turned out to be) and his final presser (where the general tone made it seem more like a retirement than a termination).

It's been surreal at times...

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I did get one little hint there that Rivera might think Tepper's standards are too high.

When he talked about Tepper not tolerating sustained mediocrity, he pointed to the Patriots as the only team in the league that isn't up and down (not true; the Steelers have been continuously winning and others have been fairly consistent).

That part sounded a little like excuse making.

Rivera is nothing but full of excuses. You would think coming from a military background, he would at least take a little responsibility.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It strikes me funny that two of the most memorable things about Rivera are his introductory presser (where he characterized his coaching as something it never actually turned out to be) and his final presser (where the general tone made it seem more like a retirement than a termination).

It's been surreal at times...

I too remember what he said when he got here and I loved it, but it never happened. Rivera is just full of sh!t.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nearly fifty years of football watching and I don't think I've ever seen a fired head coach celebrated and embraced like this. Hell, in plenty of cases, teams act like the guy doesn't exist.

Rivera? If you look at what the team is putting out, you'd think he was retiring after a Super Bowl victory.

That says a lot about just how good a person Ron Rivera really is.

Absolutely

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nearly fifty years of football watching and I don't think I've ever seen a fired head coach celebrated and embraced like this. Hell, in plenty of cases, teams act like the guy doesn't exist.

Rivera? If you look at what the team is putting out, you'd think he was retiring after a Super Bowl victory.

It also sends a good message to coaching candidates about how they'll be treated. And also that our owner isn't insecure. But I guess we knew that.

Yeah.....we won the division 3x in a row, but we've still never had 2 winning seasons in a row. What does that tell you? That one of those years we still didn't have a winning record and still managed to win the division. If you can win the division and still not have a winning record, that's much more a testimony to how bad the division was than how good you are.

3 winning seasons in 9 years. That's pretty bad and that makes me not feel so bad. Again, good guy, not a good coach. I have had problems for years about his inability to accept responsibility and he's still passing it on. 

I'm ready to move on and I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the Panthers. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His daughter works for Panthers social. I wonder how awkward this must be for them

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Yeah.....we won the division 3x in a row, but we've still never had 2 winning seasons in a row. What does that tell you? That one of those years we still didn't have a winning record and still managed to win the division. If you can win the division and still not have a winning record, that's much more s testimony to how bad the division was than how good you are.

That’s like saying oh the patriots aren’t good. They get 6 wins a season guaranteed. 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Says a lot about the ownership and the organization. I doubt he's the first really good guy to get fired. Seeing a team and ownership react like this and give him a platform to talk shows a lot of character, maturity, and a total lack of insecurity.

The relationship was good, but the directions were incompatible. It had to end.

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

That’s like saying oh the patriots aren’t good. They get 6 wins a season guaranteed. 

No it's not. They prove it year after year by winning most of their games and plowing through the playoffs. They prove they are good by beating the teams they face regardless of how good or bad that team is in regular season and in the playoffs. 

They prove they are good year after year by not just meeting bad teams in their division but good teams outside of it 8n both conferences.

All we proved by winning the division with an 8-8 record is we were the turd that floated to the top.

4 hours ago, ickmule said:

He’s sure shows signs of it. This new breed, billionaire, NFL owner isn’t fairing well.  

IDK. Tepper is older and much more successful than Snyder is. Plus, he also was a part owner of a franchise that has maintained sustainable success over a long time. That being said, if he starts wooing FA players like Dan Snyder does (Think Josh Norman's welcome), we might have a problem:Eyes_Emoji_42x42:.

Archived