• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are you more excited about the Carolina Panthers after yesterday's happenings?

Jeremy Igo

If change is needed then making that change is good. In our case it certainly was needed. Ron will move on to a new team. I expect him to have success but also expect it to be similar to what he has done here. The man is who he is and it will be interesting to see how it goes for both sides.

11 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

There was nothing to be gained from canning Rivera before the end of the year, other than upsetting whatever team camaraderie we had. Now we know exactly who is in charge of the defense from here out. At least Dallas has the good sense to wait until the season is over to can Garrett.

Apathy amongst the fans is nothing compared to apathy amongst the players.

If we are launching on a 5 year rebuild, then a big chunk of those guys won't be back next year.

When they start making making smart football moves (player acquisitions that fix the problems), build a quality coaching staff (from the top down), and get a REAL GM, I will be excited. Replacing Rivera was just one of the many problems with this team. 

Hurney somehow weaseled his way back into the GM job and appears to be staying. Very disappointed in that decision. They need quality players throughout the draft and the RIGHT FA's.

One first round pick that pans out a draft won't fix anything.

I've never been less interested in the team.  Nothing to do with the firing of Rivera.  It was time. 

I just know we suck and our out of contention, and the team has given me no reason to be excited about anything they do during the season OR offseason.  So my excitement will be pretty minimal until next year.  It'll be mildly interesting to see how the team reshapes though.

20 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

There was nothing to be gained from canning Rivera before the end of the year, other than upsetting whatever team camaraderie we had. Now we know exactly who is in charge of the defense from here out. At least Dallas has the good sense to wait until the season is over to can Garrett.

Apathy amongst the fans is nothing compared to apathy amongst the players.

Sent a loud and clear message to the locker room. Perform or you are gone. 

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It seems like the fan apathy just snapped and folks were back being interested in Panthers football again. The Huddle stats from yesterday definitely back that up, one of the busiest days since 2015. 

So, do you feel a tingling in your nether regions once again? Are you excited for the road ahead as compared to another year of Rivera?

No. It feels more like critical mass.  The news is interesting for sure. But I'm not looking forward to a rebuild after two losing seasons.

This reaffirms that there is really no point watching any games the rest of this year...and were about to lose a lot of players.

I feel like Cam, TD, and probably Luke soon are all going to be gone.

We just took a huge step back to hopefully go a few steps forward, but we dont know. We could just be taking steps back.

The roster needs havent changed, and were keeping people that should have been fired.  Norv Turner should have been gone. In my mind the 4 games weve lost at the goal line were more on him. 

I feel like we were a few O lineman and a few Dlinemen away from having a good year. We're about 4 yards away from being 8-4. 

While I feel like letting Rivera go may have been the right decision.  Ultimately I'm left even more unsettle about the future of the team and dont really have much expectation for the next year or two. Obviously I'm interested in seeing who they hire. But I'm not interested in putting anymore money in the team or attending games until I get a good feel for the teams trajectory.

Most definitely..............I never thought Rivera was a good fit from day one. I don't think he his head coach material nor a good leader or communicator.........and I could care less if he is a "good guy" and works with the community and all that fluff.

It doesn't hurt that he was that way but its not important for what you are hired for which is to win games and championships. Besides he rode the back of players and destroyed Cam in the process. Okay, perhaps I'm wrong and clueless but as a person who watched the Steelers go from the joke of the NFL to winning 4 super bowls in 6 years I know what a good HC can do for a team (Chuck Knoll) and that guy up in New England isn't doing too bad either these past years.

So where does it leave the Panthers now?............with one word..............possibility.

A possibility to make a move in that direction. Sure it could blow up in their face, but with no risk is no reward. Tepper knows risk......he made billions with prudent calculated risks. If he applies that as a business model in the NFL it may just work out for him, besides he has the capital to back up his moves.

Its a possibility to move forward that didn't exist with Rivera as HC..............I just wish the team would have had an owner like this 10 years ago and Rivera was fired much sooner.

Archived