• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers likely targeting a college coach, my best guess

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So it isn't difficult to surmise after yesterday's press conference that David Tepper wants to get a good long look at college coaches and he wants to be among the first to do so. Firing Ron yesterday allows him to freely and openly make calls to college coaches. Word would have quickly gotten back to Ron if Tepper started making phone calls. The right thing to do was to let him go and openly search for a new head coach.

An alternative reason to needing to start the search early is Tepper knows another vacancy with a higher profile and better roster than Carolina is coming opening soon, namely the Dallas Cowboys. If he can identify his guy and make an offer before Dallas starts interviewing, the candidate may decide to take the Carolina job instead of a chance at interviewing, and possibly not getting, the Dallas job.

14 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

As a bystander I'd never want Dabo Swinny anywhere near my NFL team regardless.

No. His success is largely built on having an almost unlimited budget to hire assistants(same with Saban). When you move to a league where it is ultra competitive and you have to remain on a relatively even playing field in terms of resources, what he has done at Clemson doesn't work. 

It is why so many college to NFL head coaching moves are so unsuccessful. Hell, you saw how quickly guys like Saban and Petrino pulled the plug. Unless you have real NFL playing and/or coaching experience, jumping to being an NFL head coach is a steep learning curve.

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

An alternative reason to needing to start the search early is Tepper knows another vacancy with a higher profile and better roster than Carolina is coming opening soon, namely the Dallas Cowboys. If he can identify his guy and make an offer before Dallas starts interviewing, the candidate may decide to take the Carolina job instead of a chance at interviewing, and possibly not getting, the Dallas job.

It depends on what a coach is looking for IMO. If he wants to come in and build a team to his vision, we're by far the best for. If he's trying to pull a Jon Gruden and come in and try to get a good team over the hump then the Cowboys are by far the better fit. One thing is for sure, Jerry Jones is a VERY meddling owner. I mean, he's the GM himself. I think Tepper is going to be more hands on than JR, but I seriously doubt he's going to be as meddling as Jones.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It depends on what a coach is looking for IMO. If he wants to come in and build a team to his vision, we're by far the best for. If he's trying to pull a Jon Gruden and come in and try to get a good team over the hump then the Cowboys are by far the better fit. One thing is for sure, Jerry Jones is a VERY meddling owner. I mean, he's the GM himself. I think Tepper is going to be more hands on than JR, but I seriously doubt he's going to be as meddling as Jones.

We hope. 

11 minutes ago, trueblade said:

One of the prime reasons he gave was that he said other teams have already started doing their searches, albeit behind the backs of their existing coaches.

Tepper didn't want to fall behind on that front, but he also didn't want to do anything behind Rivera's back.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

No. His success is largely built on having an almost unlimited budget to hire assistants(same with Saban). When you move to a league where it is ultra competitive and you have to remain on a relatively even playing field in terms of resources, what he has done at Clemson doesn't work. 

It is why so many college to NFL coach moves are so unsuccessful. Hell, you saw how quickly guys like Saban and Petrino pulled the plug. Unless you have real NFL playing and/or coaching experience, jumping to being an NFL head coach is a steep learning curve.

IMO, the biggest hurdle for college coaches is no longer having an immense talent advantage. Every NFL team has some elite talent. No NFL team can be elite or honestly even good across the board. The draft order and hard salary cap simply don't allow for it. You have to be able to coach to your team's strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. take the field every Saturday and are better almost across the board than most of their opponents because they stack four and five star recruits like cordwood while a lot of other teams may only have a handful of those types of guys if any. It'd be like having an NFL team where one team got 7 first round picks every year while everyone else got the standard allotment. Yeah it's gonna be a LOT easier to win given that inherent talent acquisition advantage.

Jim Harbaugh is a name to throw in the hat. He's lost to Ohio State, what, 5 times now? And got absolutely destroyed this past Saturday. I can't imagine their donors wanting to keep someone that can't beat the only team that matters to Michigan fans. I think Harbaugh would be a great fit imo. He's the coach I'm most eager to potentially hire. 

Regardless if it's Matt Rhule, Harbaugh, or Roman, they're bringing in their own guys and won't keep Scott Turner in the building unless it's as a position coach IMO. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

IMO, the biggest hurdle for college coaches is no longer having an immense talent advantage. Every NFL team has some elite talent. No NFL team can be elite or honestly even good across the board. The draft order and hard salary cap simply don't allow for it. You have to be able to coach to your team's strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. take the field every Saturday and are better almost across the board than most of their opponents because they stack four and five star recruits like cordwood while a lot of other teams may only have a handful of those types of guys if any. It'd be like having an NFL team where one team got 7 first round picks every year while everyone else got the standard allotment. Yeah it's gonna be a LOT easier to win given that inherent talent acquisition advantage.

Yes and that is directly tied to the resource advantages that football(and basketball) factory schools have. There is no salary cap in college football, there is no collective bargaining. 

The job is also a lot less about managing personalities, IMO. College head coaches are more akin to owners/GM's than they are NFL head coaches. They largely have ultimate power over all non financial elements of the football program. 

It is just a different world. One is run like a business and the other like a small kingdom. If you haven't been a professional football player or coach, you are going to have to adjust. I think we all know that is the reason why you don't see many non-NFL experienced head coaches anymore.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

I read a vague rule. Found something that clarified.

It did say that college coaches typically are not interviewed until after they coach their bowl game. 

I cant find anything specifically stating no contact.  Just no interviews. Can they put out fealers to agents?

You'll see a lot of in-demand college coaches jump from their current team to another college team (a step up or more in prestige) before their bowl game and leave their old team to the remaining staff.  Some will sign with another team but remain with their existing team through their current team's bowl season (Scott Frost of Nebraska did this a couple of years ago when he was currently with Central Florida).

As far as I know, there is no specific set of rules for coach employment in the NCAA.  Each coach and institution negotiates a personal-services contract between themselves.  The only set of rules the coach and institution have to follow are the rules of the sport and the rules governing recruitment and treatment of student athletes.

The biggest impediment to many popular coaches jumping from one school to another (or to the NFL) are contractual buy-outs.  If the coach is getting paid at the top of the NCAA food chain (say, $7 to $8M per year) and he's on a multi-year contract, those buy-outs can get pretty big real quick.

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Dabo is a goddamn fuging moron and the biggest piece of poo in college football this side of nick saban

he has the best resources in the country, in part because he sucks so much evangelical cock. clemson's football program is drowning in jesus money and he is the primary reason why. they baptize clemson recruits and players at midfield in giant ice baths. its fuging weird

on top of that the economic boom that the greenville spartanburg area is experience as they have entered modernity has flowed almost exclusively into like crossfit gyms and the clemson football department. Clemson likely has top four football facilities in the country, up there with LSU, Oregon, and Alabama. (Also Arkansas' which Ryan Mallett famously claimed were nicer than the cincinnati bengals'). Players at Clemson get complimentary chef prepared meals with perfect macros. once they're done training in the best facilities money can buy, they ride their complimentary scooters over to their player exclusive relaxation facility, complete with on call masseuses, acupuncturists, video game arcades, and anything else you could conceivably think of some 19 year old wanting. poo, there's even a lazy river exclusive to the football players (and whatever girl they can sneak in though that's strictly forbidden and against the shining light of the lord wink wink)

Clemson essentially bribes their players, and yet dabo still has the audacity to claim he'll retire in disgust when players start collecting pay checks.

What about coaching? That thing that Dabo does none of? Clemson has the highest paid coordinators in the country. Jeff Scott made over a million dollars last year after bonuses. Brent Venabels made around 2.5 million to be defensive coordinator, making him one of the highest paid coaches in the country AS A COORDINATOR. 

So yeah, that's not going to translate into the pros at all.

What about recruiting? That thing that took Dabo a fuging decade to get good at because the evangelicals kept him there? Well at this point it's become self sustaining. Players understand that they'll go to clemson, compete for a national championship, play a cupcake schedule, have on call blowjobs from asian masseuses (in a very christian way of course) and get drafted in the first. Dabo just shows up, screams about jesus for thirty minutes, then the recruit figures out where they'll get on the field fastest between OSU, Clemson, Alabama, and LSU. 

None of this translates to the NFL. Players would fuging laugh at him there. He wouldn't be able to recruit players to sign with the Panthers. He wouldn't be able to scare them into complying since all the players have already made it and they would make more than him anyway. He can't talk to adults because he's an autistic jesus freak. And lets just say his politics are a little regressive. He threatened his football players with going to the white house with the understanding that if they said no they would never play. Notice that not a single player going to get drafted showed up to that pitiful fast food party? How it was just undersized white kids grabbing as many double cheese burgers as they could? Yeah those were the bums that are terrified of him and hope to one day take part in the victory formation. The dude is a nazi. And if you read that and you feel personally attacked good; fug you.

He would be the largest, most embarrassing failure in NFL history and he is everything that is wrong with college football.

In closing fug Dabo, fug Clemson, fug their fans, and fug every single poster on this board who waddles into every thread going "well why dont we just go get dabo" because you don't know fug about poo.

Image result for dabo swinney retarded

Without speaking to the religious and political stuff mentioned in here, this still speaks to a lot of the reasons I wouldn't want Dabo. It seems like he gets by mostly on the strength of recruiting, the resources poured into a large school that loves its football team, and being able to tell players what to do. I just don't see those things translating to the NFL, just like Nick Saban.

Archived