• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: David Tepper explains why he fired Ron Rivera

Jeremy Igo

Marty Hurney hasn't put together a winning roster in over a decade And we're keeping him around. 

He drafts pro bowlers in the first round and traded for Greg Olsen. Credit where it's due.

Dude drafts absolute bums in the 2nd and 3rd, has a history of horrible trades up in the draft, and cannot put together a competent offensive or defensive line to save his life. 

All of this and then there's the whole contract negotiation aspect in which he is complete dildos at as well. 

Just now, Cracka McNasty said:

Marty Hurney hasn't put together a winning roster in over a decade And we're keeping him around. 

He drafts pro bowlers in the first round and traded for Greg Olsen. Credit where it's due.

Dude drafts absolute bums in the 2nd and 3rd, has a history of horrible trades up in the draft, and cannot put together a competent offensive or defensive line to save his life. 

All of this and then there's the whole contract negotiation aspect in which he is complete dildos at as well.

Watch the video from about 4:30 forward.

As mentioned, it sounds to me like even if Marty keeps the official GM title (which Tepper nowhere specifically states) his duties may well be more limited than before.

You know the way that tepper seems to be adding positions around Hurney makes this all seem so much better to me than what I had hoped. I initially thought Hurney should go to, but why let that experience just walk. Tepper keeps saying keep old school heads surrounded by young innovative minds. If Tepper is just using analytics, then he is right about Hurney. He has proven he can find the gems in the first and second rounds. Bring in some guys that will help with the later rounds. Not only that but they will also most likely be helping find free agents and necessary trade talks.  This all seems good to me.

If we bring in Colbert and Hurney and put their heads together. We might build a monster.

Just think about it.

Posted this in my own thread also. Here's a transcript of exactly what Tepper said about Hurney and the new organizational structure.

VOTH: So also today you announced you were going to add an assistant GM/VP of football operations. What can someone like that help add?

TEPPER: You know, Marty Hurney is one of the best recognizers of college talent in the nation, period. Okay? I don’t want to lose that. And he’s also not a bad manager.

There’s also new processes that I want to bring in. I think that, you know, the modern football organization needs a couple people there.

And if I was looking at the future, I would have, you know, if I’m looking at the manager in the future and looking up at who’s gonna be there in the future and, you know, Marty…is more senior. If I brought somebody else in, it could be a potential GM.

And if that person was more involved in, you know, on the scientific side or the analytics side or, and just, you know, interfacing with the business side…just like on the business side, I brought in not only a president but a COO. This is a COO. Okay, because the organization, a football organization, needs more than just one man to be successful.

Clausen was always a 100% Hurney move with a lame duck Fox who was clearly only there because of cheap ass JR. WTF is going on...imagine just how incorrect world history is when fans of a team can't keep some basic poo we know already in an internet era and it hasn't even been that long....

Hurney is definitely not going anywhere, which really doesn't surprise me.  I've said it probably 15 times now, but I'll say it again - all the dude did was completely stack this team with highly talented players on bargain contracts, and the injuries/coaching squandered the season away.

If Tepper wants this team to be successful long term he needs to focus heavily on getting TC out of Spartanburg so the team can actually be healthy in the early season.

3 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Hurney is definitely not going anywhere, which really doesn't surprise me.  I've said it probably 15 times now, but I'll say it again - all the dude did was completely stack this team with highly talented players on bargain contracts, and the injuries/coaching squandered the season away.

If Tepper wants this team to be successful long term he needs to focus heavily on getting TC out of Spartanburg so the team can actually be healthy in the early season.

that's not what hurney did anywhere but your imagination.   he's not good and his role is getting limited and reduced because of it.  he can't be trusted on draft day.   

2 minutes ago, raz said:

that's not what hurney did anywhere but your imagination.   he's not good and his role is getting limited and reduced because of it.  he can't be trusted on draft day.   

Rather than continue to have the same debate with people here, I'll let the guy worth over $10 billion make my case for me.  I think he's a little more credible at analyzing ANYTHING vs. any of us.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Hurney with a healthy mix of dissenting opinions with more or equal power could work. He isn't a bad talent evaluator, we just need someone to shut him down when he starts to go "Full Hurney." See: Gaulden, Brown, Little, etc. You never go Full Hurney.

I'd agree.

The things I've read so far definitely don't lend to him continuing to have full power.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree.

The things I've read so far definitely don't lend to him continuing to have full power.

And I think someone who is a lot more savvy with the contracts. I think that is Hurney's biggest struggle, assessing future risk and evaluating contract worth.

Archived