• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: David Tepper explains why he fired Ron Rivera

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

Show your work

I’m not looking up a 10 year old article at this point but gist of it was the old Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis who was ND HC at the time is good friends with John Fox(probably not after this and you will see why), Fox asked Weis how good was Clausen and he told Fox something to the effect that “he was a sure thing can’t miss blah blah blah.” So Fox pushes to draft Clausen thinking he was gonna be it and totally wasn’t.

I’m paraphrasing from a article I read almost 10 years ago so be kind.

@Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Doc Holiday said:

I’m not looking up a 10 year old article at this point but gist of it was the old Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis who was ND HC at the time is good friends with John Fox(probably not after this and you will see why), Fox asked Weis how good was Clausen and he told Fox something to the effect that “he was a sure thing can’t miss blah blah blah.” So Fox pushes to draft Clausen thinking he was gonna be it and totally wasn’t.

I’m paraphrasing from a article I read almost 10 years ago so be kind.

@Mr. Scot

That probably happened before the contract dispute though.

Word was that once Fox knew he wasn't getting an extension, he mentally checked out. Didn't care about coaching, the draft, free agency or anything. There was also a story that when draft day rolled around, he disagreed with Hurney going after Clausen.

Either way, kinda hard to dispute that Fox mailed that season in.

2 hours ago, Mage said:

Honestly the way that’s phrased makes it seem like Hurney could be moved to the scouting department while we hire or groom a new HC.  Wouldn’t be a terrible move 

Bingo.  Thats exactly how it sounded because he immediately followed it up by saying “IF” we bring in a new GM I would like to keep Marty...

Just now, ellis said:

I am absolutely apoplectic that Marty is still an executive with this football team. Fired mid-2012. Right back in the same chair preseason 2017. When has that ever happened in the NFL? And if so, when has it ever worked?

Are you okay with the possibility that his scope will be limited to the draft, though?

Tepper's comments definitely make it sound like it's possible.

Mixed feelings

I do applaud the move and think he is right to set the franchise up for how he wants it to run.  I want him to choose his leadership team, but then he needs to go back to his chair and let them do their jobs without meddling. He will need to follow his own advice and be patient.  Last thing we need is another Daniel Snyder.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Are you okay with the possibility that his scope will be limited to the draft, though?

Tepper's comments definitely make it sound like it's possible.

But he sucks at drafting after the first round.  And in the first it has to be top half of the round.  That means more mediocrity.

2 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

Jimmy clause was a Fox move, not Hurney

It was a Hurney move.. But again Hindsight 20/20 .. Clausen wasn't a bad prospect coming out of college and most football ppl thought he was a steal in the 2nd round..

MB clowns with no jobs in actual football will scream from their couch "how they knew he would suck"... But reality is most "actually" paid football ppl were wrong about Clausen as well..

Archived