• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: David Tepper explains why he fired Ron Rivera

Jeremy Igo

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

How tied will Cam Newton's health be to the hiring of a new coach? David Tepper said he doesn't know where Newton's health is now and says neither does Newton. But he believes the Panthers have three capable quarterbacks in Newton, Kyle Allen and Will Grier, adding because of Newton's low cap number ($21.1 million) in 2020 "we're not tied down by a $36 million mistake.''

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton wrote on his Instagram Story that Ron Rivera's firing "hurt deep" and that he "will be forever grateful because of the impact (Rivera) had on my life." He also thanked Rivera for "giving me an opportunity" and "for believing in me." "I can go on on and on but most importantly; thank you for allowing me to be me," Newton wrote.

David Tepper isn't totally against hiring a college coach, but he understands the transition is tough and doesn't appear headed in that direction. He seems to be leaning toward a young, offensive-minded coach who is willing to use analytics in a way Ron Rivera didn't totally buy into.

Panthers owner David Tepper, in explaining his attempt to build long-term success won't happen overnight, said this during the television portion of his interviews: “If people believe or fans believe that I'm going to hire the Messiah in here and bring you to the promise land in one year, I got a few guys they should meet. They can meet the Tooth Fairy, they can meet Santa Claus, I got a bridge in Brooklyn. I hope it happens that way.''

David Tepper said he began thinking of replacing Rivera a few weeks ago: "Obviously for myself, and all the fans, the Atlanta at home loss was very difficult. New Orleans, fantastic effort. Washington wasn't what it was. I'm not going to get into it. Everybody has eyes. They know it was not our best day. We're at the point in time when we're out of basically contention for a playoff spot and that more than anything was a timing thing for me.''

10 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

David Tepper isn't totally against hiring a college coach, but he understands the transition is tough and doesn't appear headed in that direction. He seems to be leaning toward a young, offensive-minded coach who is willing to use analytics in a way Ron Rivera didn't totally buy into.

Here’s the real reason he fired Ron. Tepper is a guy who uses analytics to find an edge and it appears Ron was not. 

the only way it even makes sense for Scott Turner to take over as interim OC is they want to XP level him up to take over officially next year. hope he's good. i mean he's not going to install a new offense or anything but hope he's good situationally

8 minutes ago, Riv said:

Here’s the real reason he fired Ron. Tepper is a guy who uses analytics to find an edge and it appears Ron was not. 

Ron didn’t want to adapt or learn or change until it was far too late just like his whole Riverboat gimmick 

Archived