• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0 - The Best and The Worst moves

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You realize everybody knows that's bulshit right? You've posted the same story probably about 20 times and nobody's biting on it.

And yes, we know you don't have any sources. Heck, most of the people here probably don't even have any idea who you are given that you only ever pop in occasionally, and only to talk about Gettleman then disappear again.

What will you have left to talk about if Hurney is gone?

Oh, you're the voice of everyone now. Good to know bud. ;)

5 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

We lost a Superbowl we should have won with 9 Pro Bowlers Hurney drafted or traded for (Olsen), because Gettleman's loyalty to Shula, and refusal to get Cam Newton decent tackles (sorry, Mike Remmers and Oher are not a worthy investment when you have a generational talent like Cam in his prime).

Look at what the Ravens have surrounded Lamar Jackson with on the offensive line.

People will cry about the salary cap, but you can always restructure and work your way around it, and Gettleman should have realized Cam Newton would have a short window of time.  Instead he surrounded him with trash and took a decade off his career from so many hits.

I agree with you.

However, you do realize that Marty had the exact same opportunity with Cam Newton, and got him on a rookie deal to boot?

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hurney 2.0 hasn't been perfect by any stretch but he has been a significant upgrade over his predecessor and our new coach/gm combo will have more in the cupboard to work with. 

You cannot be serious?

More in the cupboard?  Have you taken an objective look at our roster, our cap, and our signed players?

We have nobody on the defensive or offensive lines to build around that are either good, young, or signed long term.

Good lord man, we are about to start a rebuilding phase.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Calling the Smith trade a positive is kind of a stretch.

We paid decent money for him and got very little results. Then we wound up restructuring his contract to guarantee money that wasn't before (dodged a bullet by cutting him there).

And while I wouldn't want him back, word I that Worley actually looks half decent out in Oakland.

Should probably also be mentioned that Brandon Beane was the one who initiated the Benjamin trade, not Marty. It's probably more of a dumb move on his part than it is a smart one on ours.

I had to say nice things about Hurney. I did what I could.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

You cannot be serious?

More in the cupboard?  Have you taken an objective look at our roster, our cap, and our signed players?

We have nobody on the defensive or offensive lines to build around that are either good, young, or signed long term.

It's not a perfect roster by any means but we have a good bit of young talent to work with especially at the skill positions. Our cap isn't in bad shape at all. 

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

You cannot be serious?

He's not.

This is a guy who was on here for a short time, then badly lost an argument and disappeared. He only pops up every once in a while to try and antagonize me by making stupid posts about Hurney. I suppose he thinks he matters to me, but no. I generally don't even bother because nobody pays any attention to him.

Granted, it's kinda pathetic, but hey...

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's not.

This is a guy who was on here for a short time, then badly lost an argument and disappeared. He only pops up every once in a while to try and antagonize me by making stupid posts about Hurney. I suppose he thinks he matters to me, but no. I generally don't even bother because nobody pays any attention to him.

Granted, it's pathetic, but hey...

Could you possibly be anymore conceited? I'm sorry if you can't handle anything negative being said about Gettleman. But that's on you my friend, not me. The personal insults you constantly hurl at people that don't share your views reflect poorly. We can disagree without sinking to that level man. 

Just now, The Natural said:

It's not a perfect roster by any means but we have a good bit of young talent to work with especially at the skill positions. Our cap isn't in bad shape at all. 

You need to name those players.

This roster looks good on paper, but not in games.

We have zero pieces on either line to build around.  Our secondary has zero pieces to build around that are signed long term.  Our LB corps is Luke, and whatever else we can scrap together.  We are in good shape at RB, but still need another piece at WR, if not two more pieces.  We are in a mess at TE with a "possible" there in Ian.  Our most important position, QB, is a HUGE question mark.

I think that your are overvaluing this roster.

11 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I agree with you.

However, you do realize that Marty had the exact same opportunity with Cam Newton, and got him on a rookie deal to boot?

No, not at all

Quarterbacks don't win the SB in their rookie years, or even sophomore years, they need some time to mature and get into their prime.  Cam Newton had just one year Auburb and had to transition into the NFL (as great as he was his rookie year, he improved his decision making tremendously later on).

By the time Hurney came back, Newton was damaged goods.

If Hurney had never been fired, I have no doubt we'd have won a Superbowl.  If he managed to do nothing more than just hit on first round draft picks, that would have been enough to take that 2015 team over the top.

Just now, bobowilson said:

No, not at all

Quarterbacks don't win the SB in their rookie years, or even sophomore years, they need some time to mature and get into their prime.  Cam Newton had just one year Auburb and had to transition into the NFL (as great as he was his rookie year, he improved his decision making tremendously later on).

By the time Hurney came back, Newton was damaged goods.

If Hurney had never been fired, I have no doubt we'd have won a Superbowl.  If he managed to do nothing more than just hit on first round draft picks, that would have been enough to take that 2015 team over the top.

It's not about winning a Super Bowl, it's about building a team to surround your young huge investment.  Marty failed.

The Ravens somehow figured out how to be good in Jackson's 2nd year...and went to the playoffs in his 1st.  The Seahawks figured it out with a young Russell Wilson.  Eagles with Wentz.  Marty couldn't figure out how to build around his new toy, and was fired because of it.

Archived