• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0 - The Best and The Worst moves

Jeremy Igo

I've spent far too much of my time on this board bitching about Hurney, not going to do it in this thread other than to say it's apparent to anyone with a functioning brain that Hurney isn't cut out to be a GM for an NFL team.  He has had more than enough years here to build a consistent winner, and has failed to do so.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

For what it's worth, a lot of the tide on the Panthers beat now seems to be ebbing toward the idea of a house cleaning.

Joe Person actually acknowledged it as a likelihood in his latest athletic article.

It's all but a certainty at this point, any other move would mean that he is completely over his head in an ownership role, or he simply doesn't care about winning.

Said I wasn't going to do it.  But a couple of moves that aren't being talked about here that are SOOOOOO classic Hurney were the extensions to TD and Olsen, and kicking the can down the road on Trai's and KK's deals.

The first were "keeping the family together" and the 2nd was just not understanding the cap, and having the idea that this team was a player or two away from a championship.

Classic moves.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Did Kraft do anything inside his own company?

Dont matter. Wouldn't it be safer to act anyway you want in a place you "OWN" anyways where you can control the narrative?

Also Kraft is linked to Human Sex trafficking, that alone should be enough no matter what "era" we are in.

3 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

Yeah, I remember that one.

If I recall correctly, Strickland doesn't work for the Panthers anymore. Were I him, might be tempted to see if I could find a way of disavowing that article.

1 minute ago, BigSyke said:

Dont matter. Wouldn't it be safer to act anyway you want in a place you "OWN" anyways where you can control the narrative?

Also Kraft is linked to Human Sex trafficking, that alone should be enough no matter what "era" we are in.

From what I've read, the local police did a lot to botch that investigation.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Said I wasn't going to do it.  But a couple of moves that aren't being talked about here that are SOOOOOO classic Hurney were the extensions to TD and Olsen, and kicking the can down the road on Trai's and KK's deals.

The first were "keeping the family together" and the 2nd was just not understanding the cap, and having the idea that this team was a player or two away from a championship.

Classic moves.

I forget who said it, but I do remember hearing from a former team insider that Marty always believes the team is just a player or two away from a Super Bowl.

Their take was that the success of the 2003 season convinced him of that and he'd basically been trying to replicate it ever since then.

If you look back at some of our offseasons, that does kind of make sense.

4 minutes ago, BigSyke said:

If you go to a house of ill repute, that's one thing, the only thing that you are offering there is your money.

When you are being sleezy to people who's paychecks you sign, that's a whole different story.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If you go to a house of ill repute, that's one thing, the only thing that you are offering there is your money.

When you are being sleezy to people who's paychecks you sign, that's a whole different story.

One of the two is definitely far more likely to get you in trouble.

The people in the sleazy massage parlor have something to lose themselves. Not so easy for them to go to the police and say "I want to report that somebody is mistreating me down at the place where I give illegal handjobs".

The employees on your job, though? They might fear having their name dragged through the mud, but it's highly unlikely they have to worry about being arrested.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The combination of Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera still has yet to produce so much as a single winning season. This year is their fourth shot at it, and it's looking pretty strongly like it's gonna be a failure too.

Forget back to back winning seasons. With this duo in charge, we can't even manage one.

(and no, don't try the dumbsh-t move of crediting Marty with 2017 when he was hired after all the offseason work was done; something which I have little doubt was deliberate on Jerry Richardson's part)

This is just not a winning combination.

It's time to move on from both of them.

This all day.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a successful NFL team with such a huge chasm of disconnect between what the GM thinks the team needs versus a head coach who is still stuck in the 80's style of professional football. Either these 2 simply haven't taken the time to come to some common ground as to what kind of team they want based on the personnel or what kind of personnel do they want for a certain brand of football. That's step 1 and they haven't gotten there yet. 

Andy Reid, for example, is about as old school as they come in the NFL and look how he adapted to Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, McCoy... The Chiefs built a team around the talent. The Panthers still seem to be trying to fit round pegs into square holes. 

Archived