• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0 - The Best and The Worst moves

Jeremy Igo

Just now, stbugs said:

Lol. Take Hurney’s balls out of your mouth and at least be objective. 2015 was our best OL and it was because Norwell, Kalil and Turner were studs.

Also, if you watched the SB, our issue was not giving the tackles any help at all.

If Norwell was such a stud, why is he such a bust in Jacksonville.  He's still young and not injured.  Trai Turner was never as good as we thought, Cam Newton made everyone look better.

Kalil was a stud obviously, but was a Hurney late 2nd round pick.

Remmers was garbage, and Oher needed help from a tight end or extra lineman on half his snaps.

Good things.

KB trade. Buffalo got fleeced, but that 3rd round pick is off our roster so it's a wash. 

Drafting Burns and Daley. Burns looks like a solid 1st rounder and Daley looks like. late round gem.

Bad.

I have one big one. A little revisionist history from me, but the biggest mistake he made was not forcing Ron to bench Cam last year when it was obvious after the Watt hit Cam was injured, not just hurt. That said, if he had benched Cam 2 games after Pitt, we would have already seen Allen isnt a long term solution, which would have drastically affected our offseason and draft. We wouldnt have time for a project like Grier. 

Fast forward to preseason and Cam gets the foot injury. Again, Ron wouldnt shut him down when it's obvious by Cams actions in warm ups, hes injured not just hurt. Marty again should have forced it to protect the franchise QB. 2 games in, Cam is gone for the season and a winning season is a feather on the wind. 

Marty is a bad combo with Ron and the fact he didnt safeguard the teams most valuable asset is not just bad, its mind bogglingly foolish. A GM just cant do those things and expect be successful.

Just now, stbugs said:

So you are really saying that Norwell wasn’t good here? Go away. Trolling is so stupid. Do you actually enjoy trying to bait people into stupid arguments? Heck, you can’t even get simple stuff right like CMC being the 7th pick.

I get sucked into these things sometimes and I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with me.  

3 hours ago, bobowilson said:

Literally every general manager has drafted someone as bad as Gaulden in the third round.

What is Daeshaon Hall up to these days?

The Butker decision was Riveras, which is why we kept 2 kickers on the roster.

Kyle Allen is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL, and who else was available?

Hurney's biggest mistake was singing Paradis.

Tannehill. A former QB1. For a start   He’s doing pretty great in the Totans offense, which is gasp, similar to the Panthers

Hurney relied on two OL coming off of gruesome leg injuries.  Nor is Paradis a fit for this offense 

it is really time for the former sports writer and butt buddy of JR to go away...quickly   No one other than the Panthers would have ever hired this guy 

12 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It's not about winning a Super Bowl, it's about building a team to surround your young huge investment.  Marty failed.

The Ravens somehow figured out how to be good in Jackson's 2nd year...and went to the playoffs in his 1st.  The Seahawks figured it out with a young Russell Wilson.  Eagles with Wentz.  Marty couldn't figure out how to build around his new toy, and was fired because of it.

A sadly common theme in Pantherland...

"Hey, other teams figured out how to do this. Why can't we?"

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

What’s sad is the weird pleasure some of these guys get. They can’t seriously think these things so it’s somebody on here trying to stir the pot with an internet stranger. It’s best to ignore but damn this place is just looney toons now. 

Pretty much. And again, pretty pathetic.

When you have to ask yourself "is this guy trolling or is he really this dim", the answer probably doesn't matter.

All the Gettleman cultists who swore on their children he was the best general manager we'd ever had, just can't admit how bad their judgment is.

Even now as he's 2-10 in New York, a laughingstock of the entire league, loathed by all Giants fan, and routinely ranked as the worst general manager in football for all the insane decisions he's made the past 2 years. It's a regular meme on the main NFL subreddit that Gettleman is the worst manager in all of sports.

We tried to tell them for years that Cam Newton and Hurney Pro Bowlers were masking Gettleman's abysmal record, but they couldn't understand.  For all of Hurney's flaws, he constructed two separate teams that went to the Super Bowl, drafted and traded for so many Hall of Famers, and countless Pro Bowlers.

Gettleman has done nothing in this league.  Nothing in New York, and greatest achievement in Carolina was KK Short (who only had a couple of good seasons and is now overpaid).  Where are all the Hall of Famers Gettleman acquired?

9 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

All the Gettleman cultists who swore on their children he was the best general manager we'd ever had, just can't admit how bad their judgment is.

Even now as he's 2-10 in New York, a laughingstock of the entire league, loathed by all Giants fan, and routinely ranked as the worst general manager in football for all the insane decisions he's made the past 2 years. It's a regular meme on the main NFL subreddit that Gettleman is the worst manager in all of sports.

We tried to tell them for years that Cam Newton and Hurney Pro Bowlers were masking Gettleman's abysmal record, but they couldn't understand.  For all of Hurney's flaws, he constructed two separate teams that went to the Super Bowl, drafted and traded for so many Hall of Famers, and countless Pro Bowlers.

Gettleman has done nothing in this league.  Nothing in New York, and greatest achievement in Carolina was KK Short (who only had a couple of good seasons and is now overpaid).  Where are all the Hall of Famers Gettleman acquired?

Here's why you're failing, dude.

(besides the fact that you're wrong, I mean; and that referring to people with terms like "Gettleman cultists" is incredibly stupid)

Even if you could prove that Dave Gettleman is the worst GM in league history, it doesn't matter to the Panthers right now.

Marty has effectively been in charge for two and a half seasons at this point. Good or bad, this is his roster, and its failures are his failures. Any discussion of Dave Gettleman, George Seifert, Jack Bushofsky or anybody else who used to be in charge is irrelevant to what we do going forward.

What you're doing is basically the same as if you were trying to save Ron Rivera's job by pointing out that John Fox was bad. Whether he was or wasn't, so what?

Marty has to rise or fall on his own merit. And bad news, he's falling.

15 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

Gettleman had to fix the gigantic shitshow Hurney left for the cap. That 2015 SB roster had key players that Hurney drafted, but he didnt build that team. If you go back and look at Gettleman's drafts, other than 2016 he has 3 to 4 players that are still on NFL rosters. He didnt draft HoFers, but he did draft players who have stayed in the NFL. 

Luke is probably HoF bound, Cam isnt a lock by any stretch. Peppers was a consensus 1st pick but the Texans grabbed Carr instead. Olsen is close to HoF, but I dont know if hes in. By my count, that's 3 to 4 HoF possibilities. 

I've said all along Gman did good things and bad. He is an average GM that specializes in contract management. People dont like his personality and I get it. But to act like Hurney is some kind of GM god is ignorant. He was doing radio when JR brought him back because he didnt receive one phone call for another GM job after he was fired. That tells me what kind of GM he was far more than his winning record.

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Gettleman had to fix the gigantic shitshow Hurney left for the cap. That 2015 SB roster had key players that Hurney drafted, but he didnt build that team. If you go back and look at Gettleman's drafts, other than 2016 he has 3 to 4 players that are still on NFL rosters. He didnt draft HoFers, but he did draft players who have stayed in the NFL. 

Luke is probably HoF bound, Cam isnt a lock by any stretch. Peppers was a consensus 1st pick but the Texans grabbed Carr instead. Olsen is close to HoF, but I dont know if hes in. By my count, that's 3 to 4 HoF possibilities. 

I've said all along Gman did good things and bad. He is an average GM that specializes in contract management. People dont like his personality and I get it. But to act like Hurney is some kind of GM god is ignorant. He was doing radio when JR brought him back because he didnt receive one phone call for another GM job after he was fired. That tells me what kind of GM he was far more than his winning record.

That shitshow included 11 Pro-Bowlers.

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Everyone who is old enough to have been a Panthers fan two decades ago knows Hurney also drafted Steve Smith.  He was in charge of that draft, and it was documented in multiple places that was his selection.  Jordan Gross is also on the bubble.

But most of you are too young to know better.

Ask Giants fans how they feel about Gettleman's 'contract management'.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

When Hurney was named "interim GM" and placed in charge of "finding a new GM" we all knew it was a ruse. No legitimate search ever happened. Jerry Richardson's long time friend was back in the saddle.

Fast forward two and a half years, what has been HurnDogs' best and worst moves as GM?

My opinion:

Failed to address backup QB adequately. When Cam's shoulder gave out in 2018 it was clear to anyone paying attention that his 2019 season would be in doubt. A serious backup plan was needed, but never made. Kyle Allen and Will Grier aren't QBs of a team that you expect to win this season. Fail. Fail. Fail.

I know I am probably missing some. What are some more best and worsts?

I think Kyle Allen is a fine backup QB.  The backup QB is only supposed to give you a shot to win games.  And we have had shots.  With the exception of the the SF and Atlanta games, we have been close in all losses with Kyle.  If we want to win a lot of games with our backup qb starting, then we have to be very good in other areas, as the Eagles were after Wentz went out.  

You know what they call a backup QB who goes out and leads a team to victory consistently?  A QB who will soon be starting for someone else.   

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think Kyle Allen is a fine backup QB.  The backup QB is only supposed to give you a shot to win games.  And we have had shots.  With the exception of the the SF and Atlanta games, we have been close in all losses with Kyle.  If we want to win a lot of games with our backup qb starting, then we have to be very good in other areas, as the Eagles were after Wentz went out.  

You know what they call a backup QB who goes out and leads a team to victory consistently?  A QB who will soon be starting for someone else.   

The failure to address the backup position was much more glaring last season than this.

We rolled into the 2018 season with a banged up Cam Newton, a known bad offensive line, and 2 backup QB's who had never taken snaps in an NFL football game.

That is simply mismanagement at the highest order.

To compound that, we had Kalil, TD, and Peppers on a retirement tour and we had little to no shot at the playoffs as soon as Cam went down.  Ron was too scared to go to his backups, when it was clear as day that Cam couldn't play, as they were young, inexperienced, and probably couldn't get through a single practice.

It was a dumb move, but hey, we are a dumb team.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And three winning seasons out of eleven (now updated to three out of fourteen).

Between pro bowlers and winning seasons, which would you rather have?

Started to type that exact thing out, but I think I may know the answer.

I forget how many posters here are fans of players first, team second.

Archived