• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera Presser Transcript - Redskins Game

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera

RE: Today’s tough loss for team
It was. It was unfortunate. We had some opportunities early on and we didn’t capitalize on them the way we should have. Defensively, we struggled, obviously, against the run. We weren’t stout enough at certain times. We weren’t in our gaps when we should have been. Some things we need to look at. We need to make sure we are giving these guys a chance to be a little more successful. That’s disappointing. We had a stretch where we didn’t come out on third down and do what we needed to do to give ourselves a chance. We kept putting ourselves in second and long against an aggressive play caller, guys who are going to blitz a lot. You can’t do that to yourself.

RE: Last goal line series routes
I couldn’t tell you specifically. I do know what we were trying to do was we were trying to give him options on either side on both of those calls.

RE: Frustration with goal line offense today and this season
Very much so. We do some really nice things, get ourselves into position and we just miss the opportunities. This is the fourth game we were down there and we’ve had a chance and that is a hard pill to swallow.

RE: If missed opportunities on the goal line a result of design or execution or both
It’s football. It’s football. Remember there is 11 other guys on the other side of the lineup too.

RE: If red zone concerns this season are the same as last season’s
No, I wouldn’t say that. It’s a whole different set of circumstances. We have a different quarterback right now doing different things.

RE: Use of Christian McCaffrey today
Again, when you don’t have success on first down, you put yourself at second and long. That makes it tough on the play caller. Again, we have to be able to do a little bit better. We have to put us in a better situation on second down.

RE: Kyle Allen’s performance after first two drives
Well again, when you play behind the sticks, it’s tough. They know it. Again, they were very aggressive. They blitzed. They got pressures. They did some good things.

RE: Offensive line protection of Kyle Allen
It’s a combination of things. Again, it is hard to judge. He did some good things. He gave us some opportunities, he made some good throws. He made some tough throws. It’s frustrating. I get it. I’m very frustrated. I know the players are very frustrated because they played hard and gave themselves a chance at the end and we didn’t get it done.

RE: If it is harder on the defense when the offense isn’t on field as much
Yeah, but still, you know, there are certain times you have to be stout. It’s unfortunate. I thought a couple calls we made, we should have been better and we weren’t. That’s disappointing. Again, it’s as much what we are doing as much as what we are trying to do.

RE: If he is anticipating any changes on run defense
We will see. As I said, I have to take a look at the tape. This was different. This week was completely different because of the players we had out there. We didn’t have Dontari [Poe] on the football field. We added [Stacy] McGee and played a new guy. Gerald [McCoy] wasn’t 100% and that’s tough. We have guys I think who are capable of doing some good things. We, as coaches, have to make sure we are giving them every opportunity with the calls that we make.

RE: Greg Olsen injury update
I talked to Greg and he says he feels much better. So we will see how he is once he gets out of the protocol. That’s all I’m going to say because as of right now, he left the game with a concussion and is in the protocol.

RE: Brian Burns injury
Lower back.

RE: At 5-7 is he worried about his future with team?
No, I’m not worried about my future. I’m worried about this football team’s future. We have a game coming up on Sunday.

RE: Losing to a team that has struggled this season
It’s disappointing. You lose a football game, it’s disappointing. They all rank very high, as far as I’m concerned. We all seem to forget that they may struggle, but again, they are paid just like our players are paid. They go out, they play hard, they give it their best just like our guys went out and gave it their best and they fought to the very end. They are all disappointing. Doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, how disappointing it can and can’t be, how exciting it can or can’t be. I just think that everybody needs to understand that these guys are trying. They are doing the best they can. The coaching staff is working their asses off. You look at the mix of players they have had to deal with, the guys have tried to work with, I think our guys are doing things they need to do, giving themselves the best chance to win. Are there some things we need to do differently? Probably. Are there things we need to look at and correct? Probably. Are there things we are doing well and need to continue to do well? Absolutely. At the end of the day, there are two teams out there competing. Those guys competed. They competed their butts off. They tried to win a football game and it came down, unfortunately, to the last play. We have had four of them like that. That’s football. They put the ball on the ground three times and we didn’t recover one of them. That’s hard to take. But that’s part of the game. Again, you live and die by that. You know what they say, it’s a game of inches. So truth of the matter is, the inches weren’t on our side this time.

RE: On-side kick
That’s exactly what they did. They have been working on that kick all year and they got the opportunity to execute it. The guys have been practicing it. They practice it every week. They practice it on Friday. They practice it on Saturday. The kickers work on it constantly. You got to give Chase [Blackburn] and that group of guys a lot of credit for what they did. They gave us that chance. It was executed very well. Mike Palardy hit a very good ball for us. JC Carter hustled down, played his lane just like he was supposed to and the ball bounced about as good as it could bounce. That gave us the opportunity. At the end of the day, as long as these guys are fighting and competing and giving us their best, I’m satisfied with them because they are giving us their best. They are trying hard. That’s the important thing.

RE: Thoughts on Joey Slye bouncing back today
That was very good to see. Joey [Slye] is a young guy who we are relying on to do something important and that is kick the ball through the uprights. He did that well. He handled his job nicely. I’m glad to see him bounce back because he works at it.

RE: Offensive line giving up six sacks
We struggled, obviously, but again, with some new pieces in there. Guys are trying, again, to give us their best. That’s all you can ask. At the end of the day, when these guys walk out of the locker room, I told them to walk out with their heads up because they are trying. It’s not an easy game. Again, it would be nice to win obviously, but again, like I said, that’s the nature of the game.

RE: Christian McCaffrey
He will put it on himself because that’s who he is. He is a pro. He feels responsible for anything he doesn’t do well. He will go on to work at it and will try to get better at it, as will all these guys. This is an opportunity to learn and grow. A bunch of young guys out there competing and doing the best they can. Again, you really appreciate that.

RE: How tough was the interception on a short field?
That was a tough one. We were trying to throw the dart to DJ [Moore] and the timing got thrown off. I guess he got run into. The timing got thrown off which is why the ball was out in front of him.

RE: Not being able to get off the field on the one-yard line
That was disappointing. We got out of our gap. That one you could see. I saw it from the angle I was at. Again, we have to play disciplined football.

RE: Toughest challenge to be successful today
Running the football and stopping the run. That’s probably the toughest.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You remember that game where you were supposed to try to convey an idea while not using certain keywords? I'd like to play that game with Rivera and ban the word "opportunities".

Sorry to hear about Burns. As mentioned before, he seems to get nicked up a lot.

Hes tiny and they keep throwing him at guards and centers.

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Carolina Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera

RE: If missed opportunities on the goal line a result of design or execution or both
It’s football. It’s football. Remember there is 11 other guys on the other side of the lineup too.

OR

The other team practices too...

Archived