• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers at Saints - Risers and Fallers

Jeremy Igo

Yes, the Carolina Panthers lost to the New Orleans Saints. But let us now take a look at individual performances. Those whose stock is rising and those whose stock is falling. With the playoff picture looking grim for the Panthers, it is now time to start evaluating for the future.

The Risers

Wide receiver DJ Moore has started looking like a top tier wide receiver of late. Moore finished with 126 receiving yards on six receptions with a career-high two touchdowns. It was Moore’s third 100-yard performance in the past four games. DJ is starting to look like the wide receiver we all hoped he would be.

Quarterback Kyle Allen threw three touchdowns and finished with a 112.7 QB rating against the Saints' sixth ranked defense. The fact that Allen was able to bounce back from such a dismal performance the week prior speaks volumes about is resolve. I am not sure if Allen is the starting QB next year, but he definitely will have the opportunity to compete for the job.

I hesitate to put Christian McCaffrey on the risers list, as his ceiling is already as high as anyone in the league. However, McCaffrey deserves recognition for again being a key cog in the Carolina Panthers offensive machine.

The Fallers

While DJ Moore has been rising for weeks, Curtis Samuel has been falling. Samuel grabbed one reception on four targets for nine yards. One has to wonder if the Carolina Panthers have Samuel in mind when they continue to sign receivers to the roster. Samuel has great break away speed but lacks the ability to physically fight for the ball and still tends to catch with his body. His ceiling may be as a x-factor player on jet sweeps and end arounds. That is where he seems to have the most value at this point.

Kicker Joey Slye does not appear to be on a path of NFL longevity. Look for the Carolina Panthers to try out unsigned kickers this week. I don't think Slye will make it until the end of the season.

Who are your Risers and Fallers from the game?

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Who are your Risers and Fallers from the game?

Yikes, how did you forget Gaulden among the fallers. Biggest loser of all, IMO. Just an ugly day for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut this week.

Others who didn't look great: 

Bradberry, Little, Reid

On the positive side, Irvin and Burns, and Tre. Tre can be infuriating at times, but his INT was HUGE. He is a spark plug the team needs.

Shaq Thompson was out of position on many, didn't wrap up on hits (always been a problem), and got beat so many times in coverage I lost count.  More reason to let him walk than to keep him on an over inflated contact.  Fall

O/Line needs to be totally blown up.  We don't even need to say anything other how Kyle played as good as he did was a miracle.  Other than Morton and Daley (R) I don't know if I would keep any one else for next year Fall

I know everyone is giving Slye poo for missing 5 points which would have given Carolina the lead at the end (which seeing how NO was driving I don’t think a TD or FG would have mattered)

but let’s not forget Gaulden causing essentially 7 points on what should have been our second drive. If we didn’t have that we could have won too

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yikes, how did you forget Gaulden among the fallers. Biggest loser of all, IMO. Just an ugly day for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut this week.

Others who didn't look great: 

Bradberry, Little, Reid

On the positive side, Irvin and Burns, and Tre. Tre can be infuriating at times, but his INT was HUGE. He is a spark plug the team needs.

I forgot about Gaulden as a faller.  Tre got to play with more control.  I hope we can keep Irvin and Burns his year.  Didn't we just sign both to one contracts though?

Fallers: The Kalil 5. The OL not only is banged up but they have performed atrociously. Seemingly getting worse, for that matter. I am not sure what is expected to be salvaged from the two deep heading into next season. Kyle and Norv appear to at least be adjusting to the complete lack of time that the QB will have to throw in a clean pocket 

Just now, PhillyB said:

lame. he's a little lead-footed in pass pro at times but has great instincts and plays the run well. his fourth down penetration for the stop was as clutch as they come.

One 4th down stop doesn't make up for the Saints abusing him all day in pass coverage.  I won't say he's a bum.  But he's not really a positive.  Just a dude.

5 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

lame. he's a little lead-footed in pass pro at times but has great instincts and plays the run well. his fourth down penetration for the stop was as clutch as they come.

He has been very good rushing the passer, in run support and cleaning up tackles in the secondary. That said, his pass coverage weaknesses are hard to account for. New Orleans intentionally targeted him for much of the game and with great success. He is a huge liability in coverage and it's difficult to give him a lot of help. 

Reid has to stop playing safety for the Panthers.  I'd be fine with trying him at linebacker, because he's good against the run, but we have to go get a real safety who can cover the deep 3rd.  

Or, if you're fine with Brees and Matt Ryan continuing to have their way with us, keep trotting him out at safety.

Hate to say it, but Kuechly and Shaq combined for a total of 13 tackles yesterday. This is a weekly saga of both of them getting caught out of position and looking lost in the defensive realignment brainchild of Ron Rivera.

Anyone notice, while bashing Eric Reid, that he led the team with 15 tackles (11 solo) yesterday? Gee, could that be the result of Luke and Shaq getting mauled by O-linemen easily getting to the second level, leaving no one but Boston or Reid to end the play.

Latavius Murray: 9 YPC average; Kamara: 5 YPC average.

Archived