• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know it's depressing, but lets talk about draft eligible QBs

Verge

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Talking about simplistic thinking...which defies actual professional information and prognoses...

This opinion certainly shouldn't be discounted. 

The Huddle certainly is not a doctor's office, nor the stuff made of Las Vegas sports books.

I will leave the medical opinions to the experts, and I stand by what I said until Tua's prognosis does a 180 turn towards the negative; you can't take him off your list, and his name must be highlighted---as in a priority of needed due diligence due to our current situation at QB.

It's a fair question though.

Would it be wise to move on from a quarterback with injury concerns by replacing him with another quarterback who has injury concerns?

If those concerns manifest, you've potentially set yourself back for years.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's a fair question though.

Would it be wise to move on from a quarterback with injury concerns by replacing him with another quarterback who has injury concerns?

If those concerns manifest, you've potentially set yourself back for years.

Not to mention, if you are trying to make that gamble early(first round) why wouldn't you just make the gamble on a former league MVP? 

Tua to us just doesn't make a lot of sense.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not to mention, if you are trying to make that gamble early(first round) why wouldn't you just make the gamble on a former league MVP? 

Tua isn't the only option though.

Flipside of your scenario: Gamble a year on Cam and he gets hurt again, you potentially just missed a chance to get a franchise quarterback to replace him.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Tua isn't the only option though.

Flipside of your scenario: Gamble a year on Cam and he gets hurt again, you potentially just missed a chance to get a franchise quarterback to replace him.

Yeah but the scenario we are talking about IS Tua. Hence my reasoning against taking him. 

As for the other scenario, that applies every year. Every year you don't take a QB, you potentially miss on a franchise QB. That math never changes.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but the scenario we are talking about IS Tua. Hence my reasoning against taking him. 

As for the other scenario, that applies every year. Every year you don't take a QB, you potentially miss on a franchise QB. That math never changes.

The math doesn't always involve gambling on an injured starter though.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:14 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney had him as a top 3 QB in the draft. 

And the very reason why I question his drafting prowess...actually the lack thereof.  Hurney is good at pro talent evaluation of players, but sucks at projecting college talent at the next level.  That's the reason he does so well in free agency, but leaves me banging my head against the wall every April.

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

What would the gamble on Cam look like?  That is the question.

If Cam won't play under his current deal, that means that you have to sign him to a new deal that pays him what he wants to be paid....likely top 10 QB money, if not top 5.

Now, lets look at the $$$, as that's whats important as we ender a rebuilding phase.

Cam's deal would likely average about 29-30M per year over the first 2, at least.

Tua, if drafted at say....15, would be about 2.6-4M over his first few years.

Cam would possibly sign a Jimmy G type contract, but that is essentially around 30M per year over the 1st 2 seasons, then is able to be cut with little cap impact.

So the gamble, is bet on Cam to get and stay completely healthy, and for the new front office to put a decent team around him so that we can make it to the playoffs at least once, if not twice over those two seasons.  Or bet on Tua getting healthy, and being a good NFL QB, while allowing his LOW salary to allow you to build a good team around him like we should have done with Cam as a rookie.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

What would the gamble on Cam look like?  That is the question.

If Cam won't play under his current deal, that means that you have to sign him to a new deal that pays him what he wants to be paid....likely top 10 QB money, if not top 5.

Now, lets look at the $$$, as that's whats important as we ender a rebuilding phase.

Cam's deal would likely average about 29-30M per year over the first 2, at least.

Tua, if drafted at say....15, would be about 2.6-4M over his first few years.

Cam would possibly sign a Jimmy G type contract, but that is essentially around 30M per year over the 1st 2 seasons, then is able to be cut with little cap impact.

So the gamble, is bet on Cam to get and stay completely healthy, and for the new front office to put a decent team around him so that we can make it to the playoffs at least once, if not twice over those two seasons.  Or bet on Tua getting healthy, and being a good NFL QB, while allowing his LOW salary to allow you to build a good team around him like we should have done with Cam as a rookie.

I'm not talking about Cam on a new deal, I'm talking about Cam on his current deal. If he doesn't want to play under that contract, then the decision is basically already made for the Panthers.

49 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I think you are really just inventing scenarios that I was not talking about at all. My point was that taking Tua over Cam makes zero sense. 

I don't disagree with you on that.

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I'm not talking about Cam on a new deal, I'm talking about Cam on his current deal. If he doesn't want to play under that contract, then the decision is basically already made for the Panthers.

That's what people have been hearing that leads them to believe he won't be back though.

Archived