• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tyler Larsen vs Matt Paradis

raleigh-panther

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

In fairness, we were all applauding the decisions around here for the most part.

Not all of us...

I didn't trust Hurney's ability to accurately judge offensive line talent, and I don't trust Ron or Matsko enough to develop, or coach up said offensive line.

2 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

You are right. This may have been the most applauded off-season in recent memory. I even gave Hurney his due. 

But look at us now. This team has holes everywhere (literally in run defense). I really want to blame Hurney for this but the talent seems to be there. I think the coaching staff is the primary cause for the lack of performance. 

Pretty much every offseason, I always try to caution people not to get too excited because we don't really know how good we're going to be... or not be.

I generally get a lot of crap for it, which I can understand because people want to be excited.

Being disappointed isn't much fun though.

People are different. Some folks are okay with riding the rollercoaster. I prefer to keep a more even keel.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Not all of us...

I didn't trust Hurney's ability to accurately judge offensive line talent, and I don't trust Ron or Matsko enough to develop, or coach up said offensive line.

Yeah, that's another reason why I was hesitant to get too excited this past offseason.

No matter how good the moves might look, if you don't trust the people making them, you're going to have some doubt.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much every offseason, I always try to caution people not to get too excited because we don't really know how good we're going to be... or not be.

I generally get a lot of crap for it, which I can understand because people want to be excited.

People are different. Some folks are okay with riding the rollercoaster. I prefer to keep a more even keel.

Agreed.

Just for fun I went back and read through the Daryl Williams re-signed thread.  Funny would be an understatement.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Agreed.

Just for fun I went back and read through the Daryl Williams re-signed thread.  Funny would be an understatement.

Mother of...

I never in a million years thought we'd stick him at left tackle. The fact that a group of professional coaches went into the season thinking that was the best option just baffles me.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mother of...

I never in a million years thought we'd stick him at left tackle. The fact that a group of professional coaches went into the season thinking that was the best option just baffles me.

It really is one of the craziest things I have ever seen in the NFL....just how bad Ron Rivera is at judging offensive talent is otherworldly bad.

And the crazy thing, Hurney may be worse, and certainly doesn't have the spine to step in if he see's his players being mismanaged.  What a poo show this team has turned into.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What was always interesting to me was how during the Gettleman era, we would have an offseason picking up literal scraps out of the garbage and have draft picks from some no-name schools and everyone would disagree with it (myself included). But then come the regular season we would way over-perform our talent, mainly on defense. 

Did Rivera suddenly forget how to get the most out of players since Gettleman left? Was Gettleman that much of a defensive talent guru? It's mind boggling because the last two years have been some of the worst defense that we've seen in terms of consistency and fundamentals. 

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It really is one of the craziest things I have ever seen in the NFL....just how bad Ron Rivera is at judging offensive talent is otherworldly bad.

And the crazy thing, Hurney may be worse, and certainly doesn't have the spine to step in if he see's his players being mismanaged.  What a poo show this team has turned into.

This is a big deal to me.

I think one of the reasons that Gettleman and Rivera could be successful together was that they had differing strengths and weaknesses.

Rivera and Hurney are weak in a lot of the same areas. And unfortunately, talent evaluation is one of them.

1 minute ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

What was always interesting to me was how during the Gettleman era, we would have an offseason picking up literal scraps out of the garbage and have draft picks from some no-name schools and everyone would disagree with it (myself included). But then come the regular season we would way over-perform our talent, mainly on defense. 

Did Rivera suddenly forget how to get the most out of players since Gettleman left? Was Gettleman that much of a defensive talent guru? It's mind boggling because the last two years have been some of the worst defense that we've seen in terms of consistency and fundamentals. 

See above.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is a big deal to me.

I think one of the reasons that Gettleman and Rivera could be successful together was that they had differing strengths and weaknesses.

Rivera and Hurney are weak in a lot of the same areas. And unfortunately, talent evaluation is one of them.

It's so strange but Hurney has always been able to hit on the first rounders, but has been abysmal after that (2018 actually looks pretty solid so far as a whole). 

2 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

It's so strange but Hurney has always been able to hit on the first rounders, but has been abysmal after that (2018 actually looks pretty solid so far as a whole). 

It's easier to do.

Hurney and Rivera just aren't a winning combination. I'd like to hope that David Tepper sees that. Hurney / Fox wasn't a winning combination either, mind you.

My Hope Is that we move on from both, but if we have to keep one, I'm honestly rooting for Rivera.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's easier to do.

Hurney and Rivera just aren't a winning combination. I'd like to hope that David Tepper sees that. Hurney / Fox wasn't a winning combination either, mind you.

My Hope Is that we move on from both, but if we have to keep one, I'm honestly rooting for Rivera.

Last year I would have been with you, but I've seen enough this year from Rivera that I'm officially done with him. 

It can get a lot worse than Rivera, but I'm willing to take that risk now. 

4 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Last year I would have been with you, but I've seen enough this year from Rivera that I'm officially done with him. 

It can get a lot worse than Rivera, but I'm willing to take that risk now. 

Oh, I am too. I'm just saying if I'm forced to keep one of them, at least Rivera was successful with a different GM. Hurney got the same results with two different coaches.

1 minute ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Go back and look at all of Hurney's hits in the 1st round.  

If Burns is an OLB, Hurney will have drafted 4 linebackers in the 1st round, and two RB's.  6 of 11 first round selections have been two of the easiest positions to project to the NFL from college.

The harder positions like OT, QB, CB, DE, WR, DT he has been pretty good on, but only drafted 5 of each those in his time here, and the jury is still out on the WR that was chosen.

Archived