• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Most Important Topic This Week!!!

Jeremy Igo

I'm just a fan of the whole shebang. Favorite part of the turkey is the leg and my wife and I pretty much perfected cooking the whole thing a few years ago pretty much using just olive oil and salt rubbed over and under the skin and only salt in the cavity. No need to baste it or add anything extra in it. We tried a lot of different methods including deep frying, smoking, using a brine, all kinds of aromatics, you name it, we tried it and the simplest turned out to be the favorite for everyone (we usually end up with 15-20 people for the meal) . Throw it in a roasting pan, make a tin foil tent around it that you keep on until the last 5-10 minutes then take it off to get the skin just a little crispy.

We always have two batches of stuffing, one with giblets and one without (I like with, my wife likes without). 

We always have to have mashed potatoes and gravy (made from the turkey drippings of course), green bean casserole (probably the most underrated part of the meal), sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top....but my MVP is the deviled eggs. I don't know what my wife does to them, but she perfected those as well.

Gahhhh......I can't wait.

9 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'm making my own dinner this year. What am I missing?

Cornish Hens, Mac n Cheese, Mashed spuds & sweet potato casserole, Green bean casserole, Stuffin, Cranberry sauce (from can), maybe some friend chicken

We switched to Cornish hens a few years ago.  Great choice

31 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'm making my own dinner this year. What am I missing?

Cornish Hens, Mac n Cheese, Mashed spuds & sweet potato casserole, Green bean casserole, Stuffin, Cranberry sauce (from can), maybe some friend chicken

gravy, you missing the gravy

51 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm just a fan of the whole shebang. Favorite part of the turkey is the leg and my wife and I pretty much perfected cooking the whole thing a few years ago pretty much using just olive oil and salt rubbed over and under the skin and only salt in the cavity. No need to baste it or add anything extra in it. We tried a lot of different methods including deep frying, smoking, using a brine, all kinds of aromatics, you name it, we tried it and the simplest turned out to be the favorite for everyone (we usually end up with 15-20 people for the meal) . Throw it in a roasting pan, make a tin foil tent around it that you keep on until the last 5-10 minutes then take it off to get the skin just a little crispy.

We always have two batches of stuffing, one with giblets and one without (I like with, my wife likes without). 

We always have to have mashed potatoes and gravy (made from the turkey drippings of course), green bean casserole (probably the most underrated part of the meal), sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top....but my MVP is the deviled eggs. I don't know what my wife does to them, but she perfected those as well.

Gahhhh......I can't wait.

It’s the best holiday, hands down. 

Ya, I always do two gravies. Double stocked(super light neck and aromatic stock cooked on the stove and the pan juices combined). One plain and the masterpiece with all the giblets. 

For me, it is Cranberry Salsa.  

Cranberry Salsa is the CMC of Thanksgiving.  Just having it on the plate makes everything surrounding it better.  Kind of like a good horseradish next to the Prime Rib at Christmas (although Yorkshire Pudding steals the spotlight there!).  To continue the analogy, cranberry sauce from the can is kind of like whoever we plug in at LT.

In the recipe, I usually use more jalapeno, a little less cilantro and honey instead of white sugar.  And definitely fresh cranberries, not frozen.  

Have to make it day before and sit in the fridge overnight.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/141135/cranberry-salsa/

Archived