• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper - No decision has been made on Cam

Jeremy Igo

Have we ever had a player as polarizing as Cam? A coach, maybe but not to his degree. But a player? Nope.

As a lifelong Auburn fan, I love Cam the player. He's one of a kind and has been fun to watch.

But part of me will be glad when he's either retired or elsewhere so this fanbase can stop dividing itself. It's sad.

Tepper said that ideally Newton, 30, will recover fully from the injury and one day lead the Panthers to a Super Bowl victory.

Tepper said Newton has done a lot of good for the team and Charlotte, calling him one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

24 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Sounds like a Cam fan to me.

Interesting,

Carolina's record against NFC South opponents since 2015 is 7-14, compared to 14-4 in the three previous seasons.

Tepper's frustration over losing was evident, as he continually said long-term mediocrity would not be accepted. He also said fans, many of whom left the stadium early Sunday, were smart enough to recognize long-term mediocrity.

Tepper also made it clear that he likes Newton's replacement, Kyle Allen, suggesting the second-year, undrafted quarterback has played above expectations despite throwing four interceptions against Atlanta and nine in the past four games.

The Panthers are 5-3 under Allen this season and 6-3 overall with Allen, dating to a victory in last season's finale at New Orleans, where the Panthers play Sunday. Allen started his career with a 5-0 record, making him the seventh quarterback in NFL history to get off to such a start.

"Every time we have a loss, my mood is s---ty,'' said Tepper, adding that he never accepted losing on the business side, where he accumulated a $12 billion net worth as a hedge fund manager.

Although he didn't mention Rivera or Hurney, he appeared to be putting them on notice.

As Tepper indicated the day he was hired, his first priority is winning.

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

(i)  Cam controls whether he plays here next season or not. 

(ii)  He either plays out his current contract as written (if he's able to) or he gets released to play somewhere else (if he's able to).

(iii)  Only Cam will know the answer to that. 

(iv)  The team has basically decided to stand pat by not extending him since 2017. 

(i)  Yes.  If he's smart (and physically capable) he will show up and ball out.

(ii)  No.  If Cam is capable of playing the team will not release him and allow him to do so elsewhere.

(iii)  Tepper knows.

(iv)  His new 5-year deal started in 2016.  He wasn't entitled to any kind of extension since then.

He also called Cam one of the greatest of all time and hopes that he leads the panthers to the Super Bowl....

Why are you so in a rush to show Cam the door? You know what that will mean for this franchise. We’ve long been a Cam away from being the Browns. Hell even the sorry Browns aren’t the Browns because they got sorry Baker who moves the needle. Moving on from Cam and watching him flourish with another team will be the last straw for me and I’ve dealt with all the lows over the past 25 years. 

2 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Tepper said that ideally Newton, 30, will recover fully from the injury and one day lead the Panthers to a Super Bowl victory.

Tepper said Newton has done a lot of good for the team and Charlotte, calling him one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

These are the quotes people are selecting to leave out to support their narrative. 

6 hours ago, SBiii said:

Why won't Cam do that?

Put another way, what other option does he have?

ask to see what he can get on the open market or thru trade.   asking cam to play in a lame duck contract year doesn't seem like the smart move for anyone.  and extending him when nobody knows if his shoulder can make it a year doesn't either.   that's where we're at.    shoulders suck.  its not one of those joints where if you've damaged it in the past, and you tweak it, its back to normal in a couple days.   you have to rest it and then build it back up slowly, or deal with the pain.  

7 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Nope if u listen to the huddle elite they say dont believe that Cam is out the door already and he's hoping mad.

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

He also called Cam one of the greatest of all time and hopes that he leads the panthers to the Super Bowl....

Why are you so in a rush to show Cam the door? You know what that will mean for this franchise. We’ve long been a Cam away from being the Browns. Hell even the sorry Browns aren’t the Browns because they got sorry Baker who moves the needle. Moving on from Cam and watching him flourish with another team will be the last straw for me and I’ve dealt with all the lows over the past 25 years. 

Same. I'm sick and tired of us ushering out players to soon only for them to put us on the scheduled and have a career drubbing against us(barner last week). Happened with smitty and a few others. Last thing I wanna see is the panthers on newton's schedule and he comes back here to throw 3 and run for 100 on us just to rub it in our face.

Archived