• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper - No decision has been made on Cam

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I've only been concerned about the shoulder. It didn't exactly perform well the first two games this season. 

I get the sense that the fear is it won't hold up a full season even if he plays again.  They have been waiting for him to complete a full season since 2017.  That's why there hasn't been an extension granted already.

Tepper may just be saying the PC thing with the "we hope Cam gets healthy and stays a long time" line...but it's also the smart line. IF he gets healthy, you keep him and he's a steal.  If he truly can't get healthy again, if he won't play out his contract, etc., then our hands may be tied and it sucks...but he's probably cut.

End all be all though, if you cut a healthy Cam Newton you think you can get 3 more years out of and use the money to re-sign Shaq and a couple depth guys for instance, you deserve bad things to happen to you.  

he didn't say we're extending him.  he wants cam to play out the previous contract.   cam is not doing that.  i don't get why that's hard to understand.   this isn't up to tepper unless he explodes the wallet before the start of the season.   not happening - and that's what the contract was designed for.  some of y'all are celebrating. it would be a good time to keep your kyle allen hate and hope he proves terrible because that means we get a higher pick for a replacement.    you know, unless grier is it.  and props for thinking cam would want to stay in charlotte

2 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

All options includes Cam coming back. You think he would say that if we won yesterday and Allen threw 3 TDs? No we got destroyed by a horrible team, partially because the replacement QB poo the bed.

Newton's future never had anything to do with whether Allen is good or not. Allen wasn't brought in to be his replacement.

The decision is about Newton's age, health and contract. Kyle Allen could be the worst quarterback in the league and it wouldn't affect any of those things.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If this does turn out to be the end of the road this will be one of the all-time examples of a franchise completely squandering a generational talent.

I could make a comment about defensive coaches and franchise quarterbacks but to be honest, I think it's just Ron Rivera.

Rivera was never the right guy to develop a quarterback like Newton.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If my statement makes you upset then that's on you. It is perfectly reasonable. 

If Cam was still considered the franchise QB in Carolina, they would be rallying around him as in years past.

Now it's "no decision has been made."

You think if a decision has been made to move on he would say so? You think that would sell remaining tickets this year? Hell no.

You're can't credibly and genuinely make a decision on an injured/rehabilitating franchise QB until you get a credible prognosis. 

There's too many questions surrounding Cam's injury to say anything with surety, so Tepper is simply being honest.

Gee whiz!

If Cam is still questionable come April, then we may be forced to actually make a move that gives the clarity that you're suggesting now from Tepper's common-sense statement, but that isn't really offering any clarity at all. His statement is simply par for the course.

Archived