• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In hindsight, should Rivera/Hurney have been retained for the 2019 season.

Jeremy Igo

I dont think the two have to be connected at this point. I think Hurney has done better than Ron and I dont have a problem with them both being here this year. My biggest criticism with Ron is playing Cam hurt so long knowing he was not healthy, especially last year. That alone could warrant being fired. Just firing people isn't the best way to get better, but I know it's easy for fans to say.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I was a big advocate for regime change top to bottom in January. Get rid of all coaches and start a policy of no nepotism within the organization. 

Fast forward to today, where would we be without Rivera/Hurney but instead a new coach that isn't on the hotseat?

Would we have a better backup QB situation?

Would Cam's injury have been treated better? 

Would the team have more energy and excitement?

What say you? Would we be better or worse off than we are now?

That would all depend on the replacements so it is impossible to say however i would retain Hurney in any situation. He has drafted impeccably since hes been back, we have been very unfortunate with injurys especially to Daley and Little.

9 hours ago, ncfan said:

No

Nothing would be different.

We all were complaining up through preseason that our staff dropped the ball on the backup QB spot and we'd be srcewed if Cam went down.  But our staff are making us look dumb right now with Kyle Allen looking solid.

We complained last season about our defense being so bad and bottom of the league at rushing the passer.  So the staff brought in Burns, Irvin, McCoy and switched up the scheme.  Rolling out this new 3-4 defense, with all the beef in the middle (McCoy, Poe,and KK) and speed on the edge.  And it didnt look bad to start.  Unfortunately injuries happen, and one of the those big guys in the middle went down for the year.  Its hard to do a complete scheme change in 1 off season, so we were a little thin at interior DL.  We've since reverted back to more of the 4-3 after KK went out.  So no more big Poe standing over the middle.  And tweener OLB playing 4-3 DE (remember Addison dropepd weight for this scheme)

The OL, the staff draft a OT high.  But its not the staff's fault Little has a concussion.  And its actually looks good that later round Daley has looked good.  Maybe we couldve drafted OT rd 1 instead.  But we wouldn't have gotten Burns (who looked like a future star in the 3-4 prior to his hand injury).  And the the only OT around for us to draft in rd 1 wouldve been Dillard, who has been trash thus far getting his QB killed when he's started and much worse than Little/Daley.

Handling Cam's injury, onky thing different with a new staff would be Cam going to IR early.  Cam is on record he hid the injury from the staff the 1st 2 games, so what would keep him from doing it with a new staff.

So, no, nothing would be different.  With a new staff.  

Honestly, if Rivera can pull off 10 wins with Allen at QB and Daley at LT, even if he misses the playoffs.  He should get another year to see how he builds around Allen. 

9 wins or less, show him the door.

Tell me how can u hide an injury when u can not even really run. When Cam tried to scramble u could tell he wasnt in full speed and very hesitant. Thats not Cam. Was he not practicing?

Ron should have been gone in 2014. We had a perfect storm 2015 and storm or tornado hasn't been back to Carolina since. I don't like him as a coach. Just isn't the brightest bulb in the pack. I would have taken that shot too. Who says that publicly about their own QB who got rocked!

In hindsight, Ron should have been gone after he lost not 1, not 2, BUT THREE games to a divisional rival in one season back in 2017. We would already have been two years into the new regimen and competing again right now. And who knows, maybe in an alternative universe with a new coach and GM, Cam doesn't get hurt in 2018 because they would have been ready for that Steelers game. :thinking: But there is NO QUESTION Rivera and Hurney should have been canned after the meltdown we had last year.

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've challenged people before to go back and watch the video of that speech.

Tell me if that guy sounds anything like the guy we ultimately got.

That is one of his skills and why I'm constantly spamming the same Ron clown face edit. I've been fooled by him too many times. He also gets the accolade for things that aren't directly because of him. Not just here, but back in the Chargers days as well.

-We need a faster offense

-Washington was calling the plays

-We're not a team built to come from behind

-We have no pressure up front

-The answer is on the roster

His suggestion works temporarily, then another issue arises. He'll come up with a new excuse with why there's a problem, rinse and repeat. He has the answer for everything, but once it's implemented things don't work the way he says they will.

To me he is incapable of looking at the big picture, if you change one thing how will that effect the rest of the team. Watching the Bills defense versus the Panthers and it becomes clear as day. They don't have the kind of sack numbers and interceptions to compete. However, only four completions over 20 yards and zero touchdowns over 20 yards has been made against that defense. 

They have a great running defense and managed to do 2 goal line stands recently at the 1 yard line. They also have a 26% rate of blitzing whilst still managing not to constantly give up huge plays.

In hindsight, I wish we had fired Ron and made McDermott head coach when his time here was up. Although that would also mean our roster would look completely different today so it may not have worked out. Can't have been as bad as Ron's tenure here.

Archived