• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen's game is improving.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Cam is/was a unique weapon which forced opposing defenses to gameplan almost solely around containing him. Kyle won't be that guy either. It's not a slight in any way to Kyle, it's just the realization of the kind of player that Cam is/was. So, even if we move past Cam after this season, we can't get caught in the trap of overly comparing Kyle to Cam. They aren't ever going to be the same kind of players.

Yup, and I'm really happy we ended up with Kyle and if there is the slightest possibility that Supercam makes it back at some point that would be a major win.

Just now, fortyrod said:

This is all wishful thinking until I actually see him overthrowing fast receivers in stride >40 yards downfield. Some of his medium throws are on the wobbly side as well. 

Is it though? Unless I am remembering wrong, he has overthrown Samuel at least twice by a hair on deep shots this season. I mean, by the slimmest of margins.

Cam had a cannon the first 3/4 of his career. That is an exceptional talent, not one to be expected by everybody. That is the issue with this fan base right now, we have people wanting to see Cam-lite and that simply isn't who Kyle Allen is (really, nobody is ever going to approach that standard). Kyle Allen is a timing/rhythm QB who needs the entire system to be functioning properly to be at his best. If his OL doesn't protect, he can buy you a little time (like he has shown) but he's not Cam. If his RBs aren't getting it done, he's not going to be Cam and BE the running attack. If his receivers aren't catching balls, he's not going to pump fake and take off for first downs for a full drive and will us into the endzone. People need to get that out of their heads. Cam was the exception, not the rule. Same with Rodgers and his deep ball gift.

2 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Is it though? Unless I am remembering wrong, he has overthrown Samuel at least twice by a hair on deep shots this season. I mean, by the slimmest of margins.

Cam had a cannon the first 3/4 of his career. That is an exceptional talent, not one to be expected by everybody. That is the issue with this fan base right now, we have people wanting to see Cam-lite and that simply isn't who Kyle Allen is (really, nobody is ever going to approach that standard). Kyle Allen is a timing/rhythm QB who needs the entire system to be functioning properly to be at his best. If his OL doesn't protect, he can buy you a little time (like he has shown) but he's not Cam. If his RBs aren't getting it done, he's not going to be Cam and BE the running attack. If his receivers aren't catching balls, he's not going to pump fake and take off for first downs for a full drive and will us into the endzone. People need to get that out of their heads. Cam was the exception, not the rule. Same with Rodgers and his deep ball gift.

fuging EXACTLY. People need to get past this mindset completely. 

2 hours ago, philit99 said:

Oh he will be a starter. I think he has a great upside. Some people think he is similar to Case Kennan or Kirk Cousins. I actually agree, I think he is similar to both, he could end up being a journeyman, but he will be a starter in this league.

Case Keenum is playing for an awful team.

he played great for the Vikings— I loved watching them play football with Case. I still think they made a really bad call going to Kirk and paying him the money they did but that’s on them.

we see what happens when anyone goes from competent coaching to incompetent coaching.

Kyle is playing for the right coach in the right system for him.  We just need a better offensive line and he would score 30 points a game.

Cam I believe would have been much better in a Chip Kelly/Sean McVae/Kingsbury type of offense or even Greg Roman who does great with Lamar Jackson.

going forward I believe it’s going to be what Tepper has for his vision— stay with this staff or bring one in.

2 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Whether Kyle has an arm or not, to be fair, that Cam cannon had it's downsides as well! Lots of overthrows and if you were a Panthers receiver on a short crossing route you had to be ready to have your arms ripped off. 

He showed me something in this game and I think he actually has potential to be a solid starter.  Some of those throws he made at the end were special and especially so considering the conditions.  He needs to work on the fumbles, but what rookie is perfect and yes, Allen is essentially a rookie.  

1 hour ago, fortyrod said:

Whether Kyle has an arm or not, to be fair, that Cam cannon had it's downsides as well! Lots of overthrows and if you were a Panthers receiver on a short crossing route you had to be ready to have your arms ripped off. 

Fair point.

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The only way I would want to see Grier is in the case of an injury or Allen literally falling off a cliff in terms of game play. Allen has CLEARLY established himself as the starter, although he may have some obvious warts. None of those warts warrant benching him in favor of an actual rookie who did not make a glowing impression in his first offseason. 

Neither did Kyle...in fact Kyle looked worse with better players around him. 

4 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Neither did Kyle...in fact Kyle looked worse with better players around him. 

From what I read and remembered they both got reps with combination of first and second teams.  Neither looked particularly good in preseason.  But we had already seen Allen in a regular season game and he did enough in preseason to keep his job as the backup.  Given he is a young, developing QB that is improving aspects of his game weekly... and is not the sole reason we are lost to the basically the first and second seeds... why exactly would we bench him?  It wouldn't be fair to judge Grier coming in mid season behind such a shitty line anyway.  Let him compete next offseason.

Archived