• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen's game is improving.

Jeremy Igo

57 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

In what world would Allen except this contract? The only possible way would be if he played terrible in these last games.

In the world that his other option is 457,000 for the next two years under the exclusive free agent rule.

2 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

In the world that his other option is 457,000 for the next two years under the exclusive free agent rule.

If he is going in to next year either penciled in as starter or definitively the starter, he will likely get a decent contract.  It is possible it would be as low as 10m over 2 years. In some ways that would make sense, but I think it is more likely something like 18m over 3 years.  Maybe I am wrong, I suck at contracts haha.

The Steelers had an efra lineman that they paid a decent chunk (but still cheap overall) to in order to avoid a holdout.  But he also had one more qualifying season than Allen has... and 2 seasons of quality play is worth much more than one.

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

If he is going in to next year either penciled in as starter or definitively the starter, he will likely get a decent contract.  It is possible it would be as low as 10m over 2 years. In some ways that would make sense, but I think it is more likely something like 18m over 3 years.  Maybe I am wrong, I suck at contracts haha.

No this sounds realistic. Look at what Indy did with Jacoby. They had a similar situation when Luck retired that they had a back up turned starter that made WAY too little money. So they knew they needed to give him a bump. This did 2 things, it made the player happy (obviously) but then also allowed them to add a year to the deal. 

I see Carolina doing the same thing. Basically a 3 year contract with an option after the 1st for the team to get out. With the expectation being that if Allen performs again, then he would get another significant contract extension. 

25 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

If Allen plays well - but not exceptional - he will get a contract that eats some of that 20 million, but I doubt anywhere near most of it.  I expect him to get paid similarly to a backup... but if he somehow improves at a rate I think is unlikely and propels this team into the playoffs, then he might take a larger chunk.  No way he gets 20 mill a year for one season.

I just don't see it, unless Cam is the starter, and we pay Kyle Allen as a backup. I don't know how you could convince Kyle that he should get paid as a backup when you've traded (or cut) your franchise quarterback for him. The Panthers would have zero leverage. The ERFA tag will only really come into play if Cam is healthy, and Kyle plays very poorly the rest of the season.

Unless Kyle ascends and lead us to a win or two in the playoffs I stand by what I believe is the best outcome.

let a healthy cam play his last year of his contract, key word healthy. 

he balls out, extend him if not will Grier or Kyle finishes the season, preferably Will

this team is set up nicely for some major moves for 2021 than 2020 

22 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Unless Kyle ascends and lead us to a win or two in the playoffs I stand by what I believe is the best outcome.

let a healthy cam play his last year of his contract, key word healthy. 

he balls out, extend him if not will Grier or Kyle finishes the season, preferably Will

this team is set up nicely for some major moves for 2021 than 2020 

Cam is not gonna play out his contract. It makes no sense for him whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Maybe. Remember last year versus Detroit he could have easily run it in but chose to throw it instead and we lost?

It's fun though to play that pretend to know what would happen game though.

I guess my point is that Cam actually has the option to run in those scenarios. No DB would think twice about vaporizing Kyle if he tried to take them on.

Archived