• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen's game is improving.

Jeremy Igo

19 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

By the end of the season we will have our answer to the question: Is Kyle Allen good enough to be our starting QB next season.

The good thing about this season is that we will be able to answer this question by end of the season. 

My prediction is that yes we will move away from Cam. Not because Cam cannot play but because Cam wont be 20,000,000 times better than Allen. 

With Tepper being a money guy he will see that the cost/benefit ratio is not in favor of Cam. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but they also probably look at Kyle pretty similarly to the way most of the Panthers fans do. He's a pretty limited upside younger guy who has some very attractive intangibles(poise being the biggest) and some very obvious flaws. I am not sure he is the guy I would sell the farm for to make my franchise QB, especially if you are in a position to be able to draft and groom your own QB through the draft that does have a much higher ceiling(although higher risk, as well). 

It's probably not a formula that would make a team pony up anything near the level of draft pick that the Panthers would likely want. 

I'm just not sure you can really see his ceiling yet. He's only 23 and most QBs don't get it until they are like 25. But hey, what do I know?

16 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm just not sure you can really see his ceiling yet. He's only 23 and most QBs don't get it until they are like 25. But hey, what do I know?

I'd agree it's too soon to know what he can be.

That's actually a far more important question than what he is.

All the praise he's getting not only from players on his own team but also competitors, tells me more then what most say on a message board of him being a Case Keenum or Flacco. 

Its funny that he's being compared to those QBs already...and he's played 1/2 a season basically and you've already judged he has the talent of a average starting QB in the NFL.  Can you imagine how much he could improve being QB1 under center for a whole offseason, training and practicing on the flaws he has now, to correct and get better that way and see what he could improve upon then?  Not saying he'll come out as a Aaron Rodger or Manning prospect in 2020, but if he can continue to put together consistent drives like he has when it counts, can improve his deep ball and know when to check it down or tuck and run to safe yardage, this kid can be much better then your average QB.  

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

The good thing about this season is that we will be able to answer this question by end of the season. 

My prediction is that yes we will move away from Cam. Not because Cam cannot play but because Cam wont be 20,000,000 times better than Allen. 

With Tepper being a money guy he will see that the cost/benefit ratio is not in favor of Cam. 

You do realize that if you don't pay Cam you're going to pay someone else that right? You won't be able to use that money to sign anyone. Kyle Allen or whoever else will be asking for that money, or more. At best you're looking at keeping Kyle for a year on a very cheap contract, though that's if he plays poorly the rest of the season. If he plays very well, then why would he go into the next season with the Panthers without holding out?

The only scenario where the Panthers benefit cap wise by trading or cutting Cam is if they draft quarterback or roll with Grier. One way or another they're going to have to pay a quarterback this year, or next. You can't sign anyone to a large contract this off-season with a looming franchise quarterback contract on the horizon. 

the kid is improving and coachable.  he's a legit starting qb in the league right now.    he may not be good enough yet for some of y'all but he's better than some other teams have right now.  and if you think you know his ceiling you have an agenda.   no one knows that.    

On 11/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, fortyrod said:

That first pick kind of showed the difference. Kyle had a lot of space in front of him and chose to try and jam a throw in. Cam would have faked a couple of throws and then headed in for the TD, possibly sending a DB or two into the concussion protocol along the way. That's never going to be Kyle.

Maybe. Remember last year versus Detroit he could have easily run it in but chose to throw it instead and we lost?

It's fun though to play that pretend to know what would happen game though.

29 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

You do realize that if you don't pay Cam you're going to pay someone else that right? You won't be able to use that money to sign anyone. Kyle Allen or whoever else will be asking for that money, or more. At best you're looking at keeping Kyle for a year on a very cheap contract, though that's if he plays poorly the rest of the season. If he plays very well, then why would he go into the next season with the Panthers without holding out?

The only scenario where the Panthers benefit cap wise by trading or cutting Cam is if they draft quarterback or roll with Grier. One way or another they're going to have to pay a quarterback this year, or next. You can't sign anyone to a large contract this off-season with a looming franchise quarterback contract on the horizon. 

Allen has no leverage. He’s not good enough that his skills are some highly sought after commodity. My understanding of the way exclusive rights works is that we can basically keep him cheap for 2 years after this. Holding out would be shooting himself in the foot.

At that point 3 rather large chunks of cap space will be freed up that it’s a fairly safe bet won’t cost us anything after that:

KK’s contract, currently the biggest on the team next to Cam’s

Paradis’s contract which he’s doing nothing to earn.

Kalil dead money.

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

Allen has no leverage. He’s not good enough that his skills are some highly sought after commodity. My understanding of the way exclusive rights works is that we can basically keep him cheap for 2 years after this. Holding out would be shooting himself in the foot.

At that point 3 rather large chunks of money will be freed up that it’s a fairly safe bet won’t cost us anything after that:

Kalil dead money.

Even if you extend allen it will be something like 2 years 10 million. Not exactly breaking the bank. 

12 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

At that point 3 rather large chunks of cap space will be freed up that it’s a fairly safe bet won’t cost us anything after that:

Kalil dead money.

Not playing would be his leverage, what do you mean? That's how holdouts work.

11 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Even if you extend allen it will be something like 2 years 10 million. Not exactly breaking the bank. 

In what world would Allen except this contract? The only possible way would be if he played terrible in these last games.

If Allen plays well - but not exceptional - he will get a contract that eats some of that 20 million, but I doubt anywhere near most of it.  I expect him to get paid similarly to a backup... but if he somehow improves at a rate I think is unlikely and propels this team into the playoffs, then he might take a larger chunk.  No way he gets 20 mill a year for one season.

Archived