• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen was "Pretty incredible"

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

And he's not wrong.  I think the people who think Allen isn't going to at least be in the mix to start next year are going to be disappointed.  Most likely with another veteran who has starting experience (Mariotta, etc) b/c we're not going to be in a spot to take one of the top QB's in this draft, and we're not using another mid-round draft pick since we just got Grier.  And unless Allen really falters down the stretch, he's earned the right to compete.

It's taken me a little while to go through the stages of grief b/c I have loved Cam as our QB, but I've realized that the Allen vs. Newton discussions at this point have no bearing on next year since they will almost certainly be playing for different teams.

Allen succeeding or failing isn't going to have any impact on Cam at this point.  It will only factor into whether he is potentially the starter or a backup here. 

Honestly, I think what happens to Grier next year is a bigger question.  I think Allen is definitely in the mix to be the starter, but I don't think the team would just have an Allen vs. Grier competition, which means the veteran they bring in will be the starter or backup, which would make Grier the #3 QB again.  My question is if we have a starter and established backup, would we even keep 3 QB's on the active roster.  Would we attempt to trade Grier for a pick?

Although I think we probably already know what's going to happen with Newton, what happens with Allen and Grier is still very much up in the air.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When this forum desperately needs to get away from the constant Cam this, Kyle that bullshit Igo just throws fuel on the fire mining for clicks.

At this point, someone with website knowledge launch an alternative. Please.

Absolutely, this place is a joke now.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He actually put in a pretty good performance today overall, even with the mistakes.

I know everybody wants to come in after every game and declare one extreme or the other, but it's stupid. 

He was DRIVING the ball downfield on his throws, and our young WR's are starting to find ways to separate and get open. I've noticed with every game the coaching staff has opened the passing playbook a little more, taking baby steps. If people can't see what I'm seeing then they aren't looking or just blind. Allen made a couple of mistakes today, yes, but the Panthers still had a chance. A large part of that was also because of Allen and his developing connection with Moore and Samuel... I still think that if our OL can give Allen time we will see this offense start to really become explosive. I feel like Allen is REALLY close to finding a touch with Moore and Samuel, last two games have shown it. If our defense can play at a playoff team level, then I think this offense will find a SERIOUS lethal clique.

34 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I mean its pretty obvious IMO.  Needs to increase his pocket awareness and take care of the ball better but he is accurate and has a good arm.  He is 23, needs time here.

ehhh, I like Allen and think he shows a good deal of promise, but he has another significant shortcoming he needs to work on. He consistently underthrows long downfield throws.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

ehhh, I like Allen and think he shows a good deal of promise, but he has another significant shortcoming he needs to work on. He consistently underthrows long downfield throws.

That's the kind of thing you get practice reps for.

Now with that said, we used to have a play in our playbook where Steve Smith wood look like he was running a straight go route, then stop and come back for a ball that Delhomme deliberately threw behind him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Turner had something like that in his playbook too.

We're still learning what Kyle Allen is capable of. Today there were a couple of fairly encouraging things. One, there was the affirmation that the kid is not phased by adversity (at times to a fault i.e. forcing a few throws into impossible windows). Two, he demonstrated an ability to extend plays that we haven really seen from him prior. This carries the caveat that he had a few wide open running lanes had he not been indecisive. 

31 minutes ago, Jacabee said:

We're still learning what Kyle Allen is capable of. Today there were a couple of fairly encouraging things. One, there was the affirmation that the kid is not phased by adversity (at times to a fault i.e. forcing a few throws into impossible windows). Two, he demonstrated an ability to extend plays that we haven really seen from him prior. This carries the caveat that he had a few wide open running lanes had he not been indecisive. 

he struggled pretty bad with pocket awareness in his first handful of games. he wasn't feeling the pass rush and that was the culprit on a lot of the fumbles. if you don't feel it coming, you can't protect the ball and you end up getting banana'd. his internal timer for when the pass rush would arrive was set to never. he wasn't processing what he was seeing quick enough to make a decisive throw down field. 

he managed to find new ways in this one to be underwhelming though. the botched snap, the interception in the end zone, and his general inability to finish drives. he does have passion and his does have strong self-belief, but there are a lot of things to fix. his tapdancing in the backfield to not pass the line of scrimmage in order to pass to a guy he could have run past was pure panic. it's possible he gets in the endzone on that play. he's locking up in the redzone when he has less field and the routes become more complex developing and he's not hitting guys in full stride to get into the endzone that way. he's the nickel and dime guy who completes 13/20 passes for 145 yards by taking what the defense gives him and letting CMC do the rest. we can maybe get away with that this season because CMC is playing in god mode, but does anybody look at this quarterback and see a difference maker? the arm talent is an issue. he's accurate with what he has, but when the windows get tighter as the defense gets more compressed in the red zone, he doesn't have the heat on his fastball to make it work. 

3 hours ago, SmartyHurney said:

Are you serious? Cam had a prolific rookie season breaking tons of records, including many passing and rushing records (rookie & all-time). He even had the rookie passing record. His first two games he threw like 850 yards, and ran all over those teams.

But, even Cam had games where he turned it over and looked like poo and he needed time to develop.

Allen is 6-2 as a starter actually, just not putting up the same numbers yards wise Cam did. But that just goes to show you numbers don't always tell the whole story.

greg may very well be in his last eight games as an active player and the quarterback for the remainder of those games will be kyle allen. why would he say anything other than he had a great game when he was targeted 10 times with 8 catches? it's a major uptick in frequency from his last 3 years with cam. 

Archived