• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: GB’s RUN DEFENSE

ellis

Tonight, it’s all about that Green Bay run defense. Carolina’s commitment to the running game is impressive. This week, it should serve as a useful tool in a cold, windy, hostile environment. 

Here’s a look at the Packers against the run, and what Carolina should do to attack it.

This part of the game should be absolutely dominated by Carolina. There are no excuses.

Bottom line: Carolina’s defense is built for teams that pass the ball over 40 times in a game. They built it that way, in part, to counter the NFC South’s offensive firepower. Well, that didn’t exactly pan out in the division this year, but this is the type a game where Ron’s defensive structure and schematics could prove highly valuable. 

That’s why I’m putting so much emphasis on the running game. It will loosen up the entire offense, and will force these guys down into the box. When you are averaging 5.1 yards per carry, and your opponent is giving up almost that much per rush, you don’t screw around and get cute. Pound it, get an early lead, and play your brand of defense. The less I have to hear Kyle Allen’s name called on Sunday, probably the better. The conditions don’t seem conducive for a 35 pass type of game. 

You'd think Green Bay is thoroughly aware their run defense is bad and they will do everything in their power to shut down McCaffrey and make Kyle Allen beat them. I hope Norv has drawn up some misdirection plays to fool the defense. I'm hoping for a big game from Olsen.

Archived