• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Two really quick questions that you need to be honest about.

Jeremy Igo

23 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

We really don't know what Tepper is thinking, at this point. Cam hasn't really been Cam since Tepper arrived on the scene, so I can't say whether Tepper wants to keep Cam or not.

However, from a business perspective, this is the classic buy low/sell high opportunity. No doubt the cost of signing Cam to a deal is less now than it would have been after the Panthers 6-2 start last year. As someone else said, $19M for a QB1 is a bargain these days. The key is Cam's health and that has to be determined - honestly - before the contract is negotiated.

I'd try to limit the contract to three years, but doubt Cam would sign it. Players want *some* security. How many contracts are long-term only to find out they are realistically shorter-term deals? So, five years on the face of it, but three years with options. It helps kick the can down the road in trying to find the next QB1 for the Panthers.

If it doesn't work out? Okay, go to plan B. But the Panthers are not setup to draft a franchise QB in the next few years without either making some VERY painful trades or mortgaging future drafts. 

Rodrigue was asked about this yesterday. She said that if it were just up to Marty and Ron it might happen but that David Tepper won't go for it.

I dont think this is nearly as black and white as people make it seem. If the deal is cap friendly and you think Cam is healthy because he hasnt played in nearly 2 seasons then maybe. 

if you are Cam you may feel like you have something to prove and are willing to bet on yourself. its a LOT of money to be made if he can play well. 

On top of all these things its completely possible Cam doesnt even want to be in Carolina and none of this matters

1) Not yet. Depends on the result of 2.

2) Absolutely yes. This is his chance to show that he can still play and be worth a big deal here or elsewhere. Nobody will be signing him to the kind of deal he wants without evidence that he can be effective over an entire NFL season.

IMO if he balls out for half the season and looks healthy and effective we start contract talks at that point.

I think the fairest/smartest thing to do is:

No extension right now. Keep Cam and, if healthy, let him return to the starting position to begin 2020.

See how the first several weeks go. If he lights it up and returns to form, extend him or trade him. If he stinks it up, let Allen get back into the mix, but keep Cam until his contract expires.

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I think the fairest/smartest thing to do is:

No extension right now. Keep Cam and, if healthy, let him return to the starting position to begin 2020.

See how the first several weeks go. If he lights it up and returns to form, extend him or trade him. If he stinks it up, let Allen get back into the mix, but keep Cam until his contract expires.

What if he doesn't want to play on a one year deal, though?

(that's a legitimate possibility)

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

1. No.

2. I may have no choice for no other reason but to put my physical condition on display (foot and shoulder).

if the org doesn't give him the ability to get a multi year deal with another team and attempts to make him honor his deal we're in for a shiteshow like we've never seen in carolina.   why he would wanna stay in charlotte is beyond me, but who knows.

11 minutes ago, raz said:

if the org doesn't give him the ability to get a multi year deal with another team and attempts to make him honor his deal we're in for a shiteshow like we've never seen in carolina.   why he would wanna stay in charlotte is beyond me, but who knows.

I mean they could, but I agree they won't.

In that scenario I do think they try to trade him first, though that's a pretty difficult scenario when everybody knows you're selling.

So in the end, if he ultimately asks for his release so he can go shopping for a new team, I also think they'll grant it.

I mean, it's conceivable they grant it without trying for the trade, but I think that'd be a crappy choice.

25 minutes ago, raz said:

Yeah, and I'm not necessarily saying that 1-year deal will be with the Panthers.

I think he'll be gone next year and I think a team will offer him an incentive-laden deal for 2-3 years which will be very team-friendly that first year just to see if he has anything left. 

And I don't think it'll come back to bite the Panthers anytime down the road. We've seen the best of Cam and I don't believe he'll ever be as good as 2015, so the possibility of facing him on the schedule at some point doesn't bother me in the least. Play hard run D and make him throw the ball to beat you will get the job done. Cam isn't going to run the football anymore; he's basically what Randall Cunningham, Duante Culpepper, Donovan McNabb and Steve Young all became- former dual threat QBs turned pocket passers. Cam's problem is that he never was and will never be the passer any of the other guys I listed were. 

4 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Yeah, and I'm not necessarily saying that 1-year deal will be with the Panthers.

I think he'll be gone next year and I think a team will offer him an incentive-laden deal for 2-3 years which will be very team-friendly that first year just to see if he has anything left. 

I've seen more than one analyst suggest that scenario.

9 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

If I’m Tepper I’m saying no to an extension. Cam has showed nobody that’s he capable of playing at a high level.

If I’m Cam I might not have a choice. If he wants the kind of contract I’m sure he wants he has to show he’s worth it.

Cam has shown everyone that he can play at a high level.  Cam hasn't shown that he can stay healthy.

Archived