• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers, Cam Newton, Empty Seats, Social Media, and Branding

Jeremy Igo

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did a quick search for "best selling Panthers jerseys". The latest info it pulled up was as of July 19th from 247 Sports. It listed McCaffrey as the top seller, Kuechly as number two.

That may have changed since then, but I'd guess Newton's recent injuries aren't likely to have boosted his sales.

https://www.nflpa.com/players/top-50-player-sales-list-fy20-q2

the NFLPA site lists CMC as the top Panther and Cam as the second Panther, they were the only 2 Panthers in the top 50 selling jerseys for Q2 of this year

3 hours ago, SmartyHurney said:

What I mean to say is, the quarterback is the face of the franchise. If we don't have a quarterback it's probably the coach, if we don't have a coach we're the Dolphins.

... at one point we had not one, but two "franchise faces", I'll never forget the Smitty era ....."ice up, son, ice up"

Bottom line for me. Panthers have not built a consistent winning product in 25 years. There is no history of success, no team identity, no long term vision. Cam has been great for business, but the overall product is more than just Cam. An NFL game is about the experience and the experience the Panthers have brought more often than not is questionable effort, lackluster coaching, and being consistently inconsistent. If you want 1k bucks a week from me for a family of 4 to experience, it better be something special. Unfortunately, most of the time, it's not. 

Oh but it's post bye: Other teams benefit from the rest and extra time to prepare. Why can't the Panthers?

Odds season Panthers: So the team is only allowed success once every two years? 

We're not a team that's built to come from behind: other teams defences have adjusted and completely shut down opposing offences after half time. This team with a supposed top rated defence can't?

Vice versa with offence. Superbowl Broncos already gave us the answer.

The defence gassed: The Ravens offence gave away two easy drives to the Patriots yesterday. Why didn't the defence gas? LOB Seahawks had many games where the offence did squat. Why isn't the defence constantly gassed?

We need pressure up front:Top of the league yet the back field is still giving up huge plays. How come?

Oline: there are just too many issues from the last few years to even bother going into detail.

images.jpeg

12 hours ago, TheRed said:

Aaron Rodgers has a hell of a marketing team for himself as well. When you are a QB of that caliber it comes with the territory both good and inevitably bad. Instead of blathering on about player only fans try actually being thankful your favorite franchise backed their way into a talent like him. When he's gone he's gone, and that'll be that. Until then enjoy what's left of it, and just support the team. These circular "Cam fan" discussions only end with ignorance and bitterness that is an ugly reflection on the entire fanbase.

Aaron Rodgers is boring compared to Cam Newton though.

Brett Favre was more like a great Cam Newton comparison— very polarizing, open, personable,.. a brand to himself.

Aaron is a great talent, maybe one of the best talented thats ever played quarterback.

a brand he is not though.

3 hours ago, Ernesto McGillicuddy said:

Cam has been by far the most interesting and visible Panther ever; he defined the franchise and its identity for years, and he makes us relevant in the larger culture.

LOL.

#NutHugger  (to use a term made popular by another poster)

12 hours ago, dave-o said:

I will get poo'd but....    I deal with the public at my job all day...  The Panthers are a huge topic....  When Cam comes up in discussion a wide majority of folks say they are tired of him and his antics...  Showboating, the clothes, the general circus he brings to the table...  I admit I am one of those people...  I want him to be the best Panther ever but be more business like on the field...  Watch some of the top QB's warming up....  Its all business....  Cam runs around acting like an airplane....  Maybe I just expect more out of the face of a franchise....

What is the length of the average work-day there at stickupyourass.com?

7 hours ago, MechaZain said:

It's not Cam so much as the playoff hopes he gives the fanbase when he's out there. SF knocked that wind out of the sails. If Christian can keep carrying the team to a formidable record everyone will be back by the playoff run.

Yeah but in reality. Real FOOTBALL fans know Panthers have no chance to win sb with just mccaffrey and this above avg defense.

This league is elite qb driven. Only thing can top that is an elite defense and they only come around everyone once in a while.

Even in 2015 it was because of Cam consistent play that led to sb. That defense was the same above avg defense that falls apart when they face an elite qb/offensive cord. Which is why Cam had to win multiple shoot outs with no real stars on offense.(other than Olsen)

Will Panthers even make playoffs in the NFC this year? There are like 6 good teams in the hunt for just two wildcard spots. 

Archived