• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers, Cam Newton, Empty Seats, Social Media, and Branding

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well if you want to go that route, the  seventh best selling jersey in the country right now belongs to Daniel Jones.

He's a quarterback, that's typically who people, especially those who don't delve deeply into the sport, associate with teams.

Just now, Krovvy said:

He's a quarterback, that's typically who people, especially those who don't delve deeply into the sport, associate with teams.

I took a quick check of the best selling jerseys right now. Ezekiel Elliott, Khalil Mack, Saquon Barkley and JuJu Smith Schuster are all in the top 10.

The majority of the top 10 are quarterbacks, but they're definitely not the only ones selling.

Market size makes a difference too. For example, I kinda doubt Daniel Jones would be a top seller if he played in Jacksonville.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I took a quick check of the best selling jerseys right now. Ezekiel Elliott, Khalil Mack, Saquon Barkley and JuJu Smith Schuster are all in the top 10.

The majority of the top 10 are quarterbacks, but they're definitely not the only ones selling.

Market size makes a difference too. For example, I kinda doubt Daniel Jones would be a top seller if he played in Jacksonville.

Are casual/uninvested fans buying the majority of the jerseys?

58 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

who is the top selling Panthers jersey? edit: found it, CMC is 27th, Cam is 39th, will be to interesting to see where Cam is when Q3 figures come out

We're discussing two separate questions here.

Cam leaving would be a massive blow to the team's social currency, media presence, and overall following, but not necessarily to live attendance. Cam has been by far the most interesting and visible Panther ever; he defined the franchise and its identity for years, and he makes us relevant in the larger culture. When he's gone, we're right back to being bland nobodies. Everybody likes watching McCaffrey play - and nobody thinks twice about him when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. I've never heard him say a single notable thing. Like, imagine that guy hosting SNL. It would be the worst-ever episode of SNL.

Live attendance, on the other hand, has little to do with Cam. Given the cost of attending, almost everyone who goes to games is a locked-in fan, either of our team or the one we're playing against. No one is plunking down hundreds of dollars to see Le Charismatic Quarterback Man on a whim.

The reason for the live attendance decline is simple and has been stated repeatedly in this thread: It costs more than middle-class families (or young singletons) can easily afford, and the gameday experience has never been worse. Meanwhile, the at-home experience has never been better. Hell, just look at the "Game Day Menu" threads on this board. Would you rather be eating that stuff, with your family, at low cost, watching in hi def, sitting on the Barcalounger? Or spending hundreds to stand in line buying stale nachos, hoping to get back to your seat in time to crane your neck from the nosebleeds and try to make out jersey numbers?

What's amazing is that anyone goes to games at all.

Oh yeah, and it's almost always too hold or too hot. If you ran a computational economics simulation to try to predict how many people would go to the game instead of staying home, the computer would tell you thirty-two people went to the game and the rest stayed home. It's a miracle of cultural inertia that people still attend live football at all.

Just now, rodeo said:

who is the top selling Panthers jersey?

Did a quick search for "best selling Panthers jerseys". The latest info it pulled up was as of July 19th from 247 Sports. It listed McCaffrey as the top seller, Kuechly as number two.

That may have changed since then, but I'd guess Newton's recent injuries aren't likely to have boosted his sales.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do you know where I can get cheap, high quality jerseys?

I know a giants fan that gets them from a Chinese website and you can’t tell the difference. Pays like $40 for what someone would typically drop $250 for. 

9 hours ago, dave-o said:

I will get poo'd but....    I deal with the public at my job all day...  The Panthers are a huge topic....  When Cam comes up in discussion a wide majority of folks say they are tired of him and his antics...  Showboating, the clothes, the general circus he brings to the table...  I admit I am one of those people...  I want him to be the best Panther ever but be more business like on the field...  Watch some of the top QB's warming up....  Its all business....  Cam runs around acting like an airplane....  Maybe I just expect more out of the face of a franchise....

Actually.  It’s the Auburn War Eagle, not a plane.....

Archived