• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers, Cam Newton, Empty Seats, Social Media, and Branding

Jeremy Igo

i mean forget just fandom, i've been a member of this website since Cam was like 14 or 15 years old, so the idea of a player-only fan doesn't fit. however the Panthers are not my home team, and i have no attachment to them beyond simply liking them and choosing them as the team i hitched my wagon to 20 years ago.

so whether my wagon stays there after Cam is entirely up to how the franchise treats Cam before, during, and after his departure (whether to free agency or retirement).

if he's brushed aside and dumped in a way that comes across as paying him less respect than he deserves for nearly single handedly carrying the team for 8 years, then i'll follow him to his next team without hesitation.

if he retires with honors or leaves in generally a respectful way i'll retain fondness for the team.

This is the fan base (the highlighted piece):

image.thumb.png.2c3a7aecc092f645e4cb77e594b0659c.png

------------------------

As they say, winning cures everything. Cam Newton has been largely absent for the past couple seasons since the Super Bowl and there is always that period of time from the point you had to put your best friend dog down until you had the courage to get another. 

The same thing occurred when Jake got the team to the top of the mountain and a few seasons later his arm was gone and it was time to come to grips then as well.

Dave-o is right, but until a lot of fans realize that holding out for hope is far more emotionally draining the simply deciding to move on, they'll just decide to click on the sh!t icon. 

3 hours ago, SBiii said:

Good feedback, thanks.

My neighbor isn't a season ticket holder and he took his wife and 2 kids a few weeks ago and it was in excess of $800 by the time they were finished.

I believe the key issues are:

Price -- tickets & concessions.  People are feeling like they are getting ripped off at the concession stand. 

Security -- major hassle to get in.

Lack of Scalping -- sounds like buying a $20 ticket at game time is no longer an option.

Ownership -- Tepper's politics don't sit well with a lot of people. 

Some people have no problem with any of those issues, some are affected by all of them....overall on a combined basis they have to be having a meaningful impact.

Falcons have actually been lowering concession prices.....Tepper oughta give that a shot.

image.thumb.png.4de6933deb3626ec35fe5d0cd52fa40b.png

PS....in the long-run I believe the electronic ticketing program will negatively affect season ticket renewals.

Good on Atlanta for lowering concession prices. 

We were playing an average team coming off of a absolute butt whooping 7 days prior. Either we won yesterday which I was expecting because of the talent gap or we lost and the season was over. 

It was 1 game against an unremarkable opponent. Let’s wait and see what the Atlanta and New Orleans games are like to judge. 

Christian isn't really going to be able to carry the Panthers media presence. Outside of Carolina he's not as well regarded, other than in fantasy. You can read say Reddit, and when Christian's name is brought up he's still beyond the top 3, top 5, sometimes further in runningback rankings. He's seen as a stats guy, but not really carrying the team or even offense. I've seen a lot of Christian MVP threads downvoted on reddit, and a lot of pushback from fans of even this team.

I just don't see Christian being the face of the franchise, especially for long. Runningbacks don't last, they explode out of college, cool off, then they're washed. Don't get angry at me for this, it's just how it goes. You can look at a lot of hot names from recent years for affirmation if you need.

Just now, SmartyHurney said:

Christian isn't really going to be able to carry the Panthers media presence. Outside of Carolina he's not as well regarded, other than in fantasy. You can read say Reddit, and when Christian's name is brought up he's still beyond the top 3, top 5, sometimes further in runningback rankings. He's seen as a stats guy, but not really carrying the team or even offense. I've seen a lot of Christian MVP threads downvoted on reddit, and a lot of pushback from fans of even this team.

I just don't see Christian being the face of the franchise, especially for long. Runningbacks don't last, they explode out of college, cool off, then they're washed. Don't get angry at me for this, it's just how it goes. You can look at a lot of hot names from recent years for affirmation if you need.

This is factual

11 minutes ago, SmartyHurney said:

There is truth to this also in terms of resource allocation and an evolving league when looking at the position.

Yes you have your Saquon Barkley's and your Christian McCaffrey's going in the top 10, but a number of successful teams across the league are showing you not only don't need to invest the farm for one running back, you can even have two who run the ball very well for a modest investment.

In terms of the unfortunate unflinching reality behind running back shelf life in the NFL and how quickly things change, two words, Peyton Hillis.

1 hour ago, mjligon said:

This is factual

No it isn't.

McCaffrey is being featured pretty heavily in NFL ads right now. Heck, he was the only Panther in the NFL 100 party commercial.

He's actually becoming one of the faces of the league, not just the Panthers.

Archived