• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers, Cam Newton, Empty Seats, Social Media, and Branding

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

The older I get, the less inclined I am to go to games and spend money. It just feels like a racket these days. Everything is way overpriced and being around thousands of drunk idiots is not as appealing when you don’t drink that much anymore 

Same. Call me a fair-weather fan but sitting on my comfortable couch, watching on my HD big screen is a lot more appealing than paying $30+ to park, + tickets +++$$$ for beer and food for terrible seats in the stratosphere (the only kind I can afford) where people are constantly walking in front of you going to and from the concession stands and the bathroom.

I'm a Carolina Panther "TEAM" fan before any player. Whatever makes the team win, im happy. I have been a fan through the rough years (Jimmy Clausen) and good years (Jake Delhomme at his peak). I have no bias against anyone and root for whoever gets us our first superbowl.

While I agree that Cam is a huge draw.... the cost is as big a factor as anything.  I took my wife and 2 boys yesterday and despite buying tix at well below face value we still spent about $400 on the afternoon.  Thats a huge chunk of change for a family to dish out.   

Honestly, driving 7 hours to watch a game without Cam is really not that exciting on Sundays. I can sit at home enjoying the game and not be charged ridiculous amounts for food and beverages and save tons of valuble time. Add on I dont trust our coaches to be prepaired or the team to put up a good fight against great teams, it's not surprising. CMC is all the wow factor we have right now and that doesn't translate the same way it did for Cam as a QB. This has been going on more than a year and winning against teams like the Titans doing everything they can to lose a game doesn't change the overall funk this team has right now. It feels the same when Jake had been here a couple of years. Just meh, more medicoracy. Panther football is still fun, just not exciting enough to pay a premium in time and money.

50 minutes ago, Silent Majority said:

I was a fan of this franchise long before Cam. I will continue after he's gone, but not nearly as enthusiastically. Cam has brought out the reality of just how bigoted and disgusting more than a few are in this fan base, the (sh) city news paper even the franchise itself. 

Eh, the Bigoted guys are fewer than you would believe.  I don't deny they exist, I've seen posts here that make me think someone just hates having a black QB who enjoys dancing and fashion.  That said, this thread points to the opposite being true.  Attendance and interest is down without cam and we now have a White QB and a white face of the franchise at the moment (CMC) and a bonus White former defensive MVP.   For me, I am a Ragin Cajun alum so I followed Jake Delhomme here and set up shop when the panthers gave him a shot.  When he couldn't do it anymore and we moved on, I was still a panthers fan Whether it was pickles or Newton at QB, and when we move on from Newton, I'll still be here as a panthers fan whether his successor is Allen or anyone else.

1 minute ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Eh, the Bigoted guys are fewer than you would believe.  I don't deny they exist, I've seen posts here that make me think someone just hates having a black QB who enjoys dancing and fashion.  That said, this thread points to the opposite being true.  Attendance and interest is down without cam and we now have a White QB and a white face of the franchise at the moment (CMC) and a bonus White former defensive MVP.   For me, I am a Ragin Cajun alum so I followed Jake Delhomme here and set up shop when the panthers gave him a shot.  When he couldn't do it anymore and we moved on, I was still a panthers fan Whether it was pickles or Newton at QB, and when we move on from Newton, I'll still be here as a panthers fan whether his successor is Allen or anyone else.

I disagree with the narrative of Cam fans/Panther fans. I think that is foolish. Good overall post though. 

I think people just don't think the amount of money it takes to go sit in a crowd of annoying people is worth it as much as they may have at one point. Most people in Charlotte who will drink themselves stupid every Sunday forever are from Pennsylvania and are busy watching their origianl teams. The first rounds of original Panthers fans are aging and kids are getting smarter and would rather do something productive. There are lots of things at play but I don't see the Newton angle being a significant one.

Great analysis. They built two separate brands that were mutually beneficial. The problem is the front office has mismanaged Cam and now the brands are competing. Cam has been nothing but supportive, however the perception is he has been wronged in the lack of roster building over the years and how they’ve handled his injuries. Add on top of that the negative PR for the organization: all of the terrible vet exits underneath Gettleman and an ownership Sexual harassment scandal. Now more than ever it’s easier for fans to choose (IMO justifiably so) to be a fan of Cam rather than the Panthers. I’m loyal to the team and I believe Tepper is smart enough to get past all of this, however it’s been hard for me to see this for Cam. I can’t think of anyone else who has laid their body on the line the way he has for this organization. 

56 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Cam or no Cam, attending an NFL game is fugging expensive and time consuming and not something people get too thrilled about coming off one of the worst performances in franchise history.

If the team keeps winning the stands will start to fill again. I don't blame folks for not showing up for a product as inconsistent as what this franchise has put out recently though.

I pretty much echo this. Of course there are diehards who are there every game no matter what, and others that WOULD BE, if they could afford it.

But the team's HUGE swings in momentum take a toll. Fans feel good at 6-2 last season. Boom. Brutal 7 game losing streak.

Lots of off-season excitement. Healthy Cam. Curtis making ridiculous catches in camp. Ugly 0-2 start at home. Cam hurt.

But then a great effort to reel off 4 wins under Kyle... Starting to get some national buzz and YIKES, an absolute shitshow in San Fran.

Basically the team is now on a prove it basis to many fans. SHOW ME / US you can be consistent and not embarrass us every time we start to feel hopeful.

Not justifying that attitude. And I don't really share it. But I think fans are tired if the emotional rollercoaster.

I talked about this last week: there is a segment of the fan base that clings to the quarterback. This is not uncommon around the league. Newton is a generational athlete and has impacted so many people’s perspectives on the game of football. He transcends the game, in many ways. So naturally, you’ll find some folks losing interest. It’s the Titans, as well. I think if it was a divisional game, you might’ve seen a little more intensity in the stands. But, who knows. It’s not a bad discussion to have. 

We are definitely seeing the absence of the "Cam fans" this year.  That should not be unexpected as we aren't seeing Cam this year.  However, what it points out is that what we are now seeing is the true TEAM interest from fans.  Interest is sort of "luke warm" because we have not, to this point, become a team that wins consistently.

With or without Cam, if the team was a consistent winner, we'd see full stands.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, but Aaron Rodgers has about ten percent of the charisma as Cam Newton. The effect here will be felt much greater than in Green Bay.

Green Bay fans are loyalists to the team, they will always fill the stadium.

Frankly however, I don’t put nearly as much stock in Cam filling up the stadium by himself.  It’s just not realistic. Until I see an actual analytic, I’m sure Tepper has a dozen people and an AI figuring out what the actual issue is.

Archived