• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's assuming a lot less than thinking the answer is on the roster.

The Delhomme/Warner UDFA gems are rare for a reason. Hell, so are the 3rd round franchise QBs.

We don't actually know what we have in Kyle Allen.

For that matter, we don't know what we have in Will Grier.

Hell, we don't even know how high we'll be drafting next season.

Despite some of our resident scoutmasters thinking they can tell everything about a quarterback's entire future and potential from six games, Allen is still largely an unknown. Greg Cosell currently puts him in the area of high-end backup, average starter, but that's an analysis of where he is right now. From here forward, he could completely tank, or he could improve into something even better. There's no way to predict that. You just have to watch and see.

And based on today's news, it sounds like we'll have plenty of time to do just that.

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

What other options are there? Trade him now for probably nothing? Miss out if he’s back to 100%?

I don’t it’s rude to want to wait to see cam play well and healthy for a full season before paying him, and I can’t see any logical person think otherwise including cam. He’s already been paid for two seasons of rehab.

If he’s healthy and plays a full season next year and plays well, why would anyone be upset paying him?

i think the option is what does cam want to do.   when healthy he has shown what he's capable of.  i don't think offering him is an option either before next season, or even halfway thru next season, but not offering him will be a very big deal.  if you aren't seeing it now, you will when it gets craploads and craploads of play from the media down to the message boards.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Despite some of our resident scoutmasters thinking they can tell everything about a quarterback's entire future and potential from six games, Allen is still largely an unknown. Greg Cosell currently puts him in the area of high-end backup, average starter, but that's an analysis of where he is right now. From here forward, he could completely tank, or he could improve into something even better. There's no way to predict that. You just have to watch and see.

And based on today's news, it sounds like we'll have plenty of time to do just that.

Isn't that every QB in their first year? I mean how many 1st round busts have there been. I hate when people lable a player after just a few games. Kyle Allen has been unusually good and back to earth one game. That's all I know. 

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

What other options are there? Trade him now for probably nothing? Miss out if he’s back to 100%?

I don’t it’s rude to want to wait to see cam play well and healthy for a full season before paying him, and I can’t see any logical person think otherwise including cam. He’s already been paid for two seasons of rehab.

If he’s healthy and plays a full season next year and plays well, why would anyone be upset paying him?

Most veterans expect their teams to be at least somewhat willing to talk extension prior to the last year of their contract.

For a player who's playing well, teams usually try to avoid letting them get to the final year of their deal without having at least the initial stages of a negotiation.

All that said, Newton isn't healthy, hasn't played in a long time and isn't likely to play again anytime soon.

That means everybody has to adjust their expectations.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again I'm talking historically.

I get it, it would be awesome if Kyle Allen rides in on his grand white steed and saves the franchise. It's highly unlikely and you've watched football long enough to know it.

This line of rhetoric is similar to those at the beginning of the great recession trying to argue "well, we aren't technically in a recession right now" when everyone with two brain cells to rub together could see what was coming.

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

If a surgeon says surgery isn't required, he either A.) doesn't know what it is or B.) doesn't think the client will pay.

so you're saying human mechanics are the same as auto mechanics.   

the owner said he doesn’t mind sitting cam a year

so I’m inclined to believe he meant that, the smart move is still the same, let him heal and let him play, than evaluate from there.

In the meantime you get to see what Allen has and evaluate him more. There isn’t a magical 1 or 2 player/players we can scoop up for 20 mil that will fill the void a franchise qb does

relax 

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

In the meantime you get to see what Allen has and evaluate him more. There isn’t a magical 1 or 2 player/players we can scoop up for 20 mil that will fill the void a franchise qb does

Would go a long way in locking up the players we do want to keep. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Would go a long way in locking up the players we do want to keep. 

Hell yeah! Let's lock them up! That way we can be up against the cap with no QB and we should be able to win 6-7 games ensuring we're not in a good spot to land a legit QB prospect in the draft!

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Again I'm talking historically.

I get it, it would be awesome if Kyle Allen rides in on his grand white steed and saves the franchise. It's highly unlikely and you've watched football long enough to know it.

Actually, I've watched football long enough to say that I don't know it.

I've said it before. All that I definitively know about Allen right now is that he's good enough to play in the NFL. How good he can potentially be in the future is still very much unknown, even if nobody wants to admit that.

I've seen plenty of people make half-assed predictions based on a small sample. Hell, more than half the people on this board think they know whether a player is a stud or a bust one quarter into their first preseason game. those predictions tend to be just as reliable as you'd expect them to be.

I get that everybody wants to Nostradumbass, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Archived