• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I am now leaning 60/40 to the Panthers not retaining Cam in 2020.

You know Jirmsy, I interested to see the stock move of a particular QB who beat out both Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen in Kellen Mond.  He seems to be eyeing the draft.  Played well against Bama this season and has looked better than last. 

He appears to be a likely target after Tua, Herbert, & Burrow.  I'd consider him over Fromm. 

I hope we hang onto Cam for next year. $21M is nothing for a QB. It'd be the 14th highest QB cap hit next season.

I think some of y'all are underestimating the likely dark period that we're in for if Cam is indeed done. Probably a replay of the Moore/Clausen years as we flail around to try to find who's next.

Maybe we'd be in a position to go 1-15 again leading up to the '22 draft and land Sam Howell.

2 hours ago, SBiii said:

I find it interesting that all of a sudden they are talking about it openly.

Confirmed he went to the Doc.  Confirmed who the Doc was.  Elaborated on the reasons for the visit.   Revealed the Doc's diagnosis and recommendation.   Even teased a little bit on timeframe....

....why the sudden and 180* about face on talking abt it?

With that presdure valve now blown off will be interesting to see 'Boats body language in the pressers next week.

You are such a fuging idiot. ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY DUMBASS HOW fuging STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO THINK ITS ONE 

Cam will have to have a good offseason and will have a contract year next year whether he’s here or traded. 

unless of course he comes back in the December ala Nick Foles and takes us to the Super Bowl ha.

of course the defense and a lot of other things have to come together too.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope we hang onto Cam for next year. $21M is nothing for a QB. It'd be the 14th highest QB cap hit next season.

I think some of y'all are underestimating the likely dark period that we're in for if Cam is indeed done. Probably a replay of the Moore/Clausen years as we flail around to try to find who's next.

Maybe we'd be in a position to go 1-15 again leading up to the '22 draft and land Sam Howell.

That assumes a lot.

And regarding the cap figure, Igo is right.

Newton has one more year. This is perfect timing if there is such a thing. Let him heal and see how he looks next year. Yea we might not be able to trade him but it’s worth it if he can still play if he can’t, move on. Either way draft a QB with the first pick to either sit and learn ala Rodgers or take over.

I don’t see how there is any other real discussion about it right now, am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It's a lot for a QB that can't play.

I would worry far less about that and moreso the potential compensation if he exits.

It would be far more disappointing to see him walk for nothing considering what we are in store for with as many free agents as we have upcoming in 2020.

am i the only one that thinks it would be pretty rude to send cam out there on a lame duck contract?  how do you do that to your franchise qb that's been hurt?   if cam bets on himself and wins by playing well all season there is no way in hell we're getting anything but the highest paid qb in history (until the next guy signs).  if he's insulted by it, which he should be, and demands a trade how could anyone blame him?   this is a messed up situation.  its not gonna look good to FA's if we go this route with cam.   what can they count on?     i think the only thing to do is leave the ball in cam's court.   if he doesn't want to play on a lame duck contract you help him get to the team he wants to go to - of the ones that want him.  but, walking him out there with a lame duck deal is shitty with the situation the coaching staff has put him in by not sidelining him when they should have.

7 minutes ago, raz said:

am i the only one that thinks it would be pretty rude to send cam out there on a lame duck contract?  how do you do that to your franchise qb that's been hurt?   if cam bets on himself and wins by playing well all season there is no way in hell we're getting anything but the highest paid qb in history (until the next guy signs).  if he's insulted by it, which he should be, and demands a trade how could anyone blame him?   this is a messed up situation.  its not gonna look good to FA's if we go this route with cam.   what can they count on?     i think the only thing to do is leave the ball in cam's court.   if he doesn't want to play on a lame duck contract you help him get to the team he wants to go to - of the ones that want him. 

What other options are there? Trade him now for probably nothing? Miss out if he’s back to 100%?

I don’t it’s rude to want to wait to see cam play well and healthy for a full season before paying him, and I can’t see any logical person think otherwise including cam. He’s already been paid for two seasons of rehab.

If he’s healthy and plays a full season next year and plays well, why would anyone be upset paying him?

Archived