• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

This is literally the only fanbase in sports that has people who simply cannot accept the fact that a team may (and honestly should) move on from a player who hasn't played in over a year and a half due to lingering injuries.

Cam is footballs Derrick Rose, and no Bulls fan was in shock when they got rid of their former MVP due to lingering problems.

1 minute ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

We all (well most of us) love Cam, but I just hope he doesn’t break himself down physically too much. He’s already taken a beating that most QBs never take. He’s had serious injuries.

Real life goes on for a lot longer than football life. Make sure you are healthy enough to enjoy your 50’s, 60’s etc. I didn’t blame Luck and I certainly wouldn’t blame Cam if he decides the abuse just isn’t worth it anymore. 

As much as I’ve enjoyed seeing him play, his infectious smile after scoring TDs, handing balls to kids in the stands after flipping over defenders on his way to rushing TD records, I want to enjoy his life and his kids after this.

If he comes back I’ll celebrate it, but I could fully support him hanging it up. I just don’t want him to be one of those guys who can hardly walk when he’s 50 because he’s taken so many hits.

I'd agree.

A lot of people are assuming that Newton wants to come back for another season. That's not guaranteed either.

And no, I wouldn't blame him for walking away at all. He's still relatively young, probably set for life and (in my opinion anyway) doesn't have anything left to prove, so why not?

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yet here you are talking about me :)

I'll ask you the same question I just asked. Take a look back at what Denver got in trade for Cutler. Did Chicago overpay? I sure as hell thought so at the time but that doesn't really matter. They paid according to what they judged his value to be.

Do you really see anybody taking a look at the Cam Newton of right now (not the one of four years ago) and giving up a similar compensation package?

What are you babbling about? I'm not under any impression there are teams lining up to trade away early picks for an injured QB.

Whatever value Newton will have won't be known until next year most likely.

You frankly should consider taking another hiatus because you are way too vested in this tomfoolery.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

What are you babbling about? I'm not under any impression there are teams lining up to trade away early picks for an injured QB.

Whatever value Newton will have won't be known until next year most likely.

You frankly should consider taking another hiatus because you are way too vested in this tomfoolery.

Weren't you just questioning why people would quote me? :)

When "next year" gets here we're likely talking about a player who won't have been healthy for a year and a half.

I'm suggesting people should be a little more realistic about what's likely to happen in that scenario than they're showing themselves to be right now.

I don't see him on another team regardless of the scenario. 

I also don't expect to see him this season.  The question is if he hangs the cleats this offseason or rejuvenates and comes back for next season.  No one knows yet but I want him back if he's gonna be full on Cam Newton again. 

It sounds to be entirely in his court at this stage and hell, it could be with a new coaching staff next season.  I'm more intrigued than anything and hope for the best.  If I'm Cam and Tepper gets a new offensive coach with a more dynamic approach to playcalling, I'd want to come back.  Here's to a good day today and continual wishing for the best with Cam.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When healthy...

Overall, I'd agree. But both were considered franchise quarterbacks, and both were considered flawed, though for different reasons.

I've always most closely compared Newton to Brett Favre. Favre essentially was the Packers, yet the time came when they moved on from him.

If you think that can't happen here, you're in denial.

Oh for sure it can happen. Like everyone says, it’s a business and big time decisions are apart of that. I was just saying Cam>Cutler and it shouldn’t be close. Cam will get healthy again, but will the team be patient enough to find out...

9 minutes ago, Ship said:

We aren't gonna be in a position to draft a QB high next year, we'll be looking at a late 1st or a 2nd round rookie. We aren't replacing Cam with a FA QB either. There is no incentive to ditch Cam next season because he is either going to be the starter as usual or is going to be mixed in with his successor. There's no point in saying ditch Cam to sign FAs, we have a plan in place to sign our expiring guys that we want to keep, that plan has likely included Cam's salary anyway. That money isn't going to buy us a Super Bowl without Cam. Nothing will happen until next season.

He already has and has a better record. Stop with this absurdity. Allen is a redshirt rookie and is playing good football. Just as good as Cam sans the running ability. 

8 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Oh for sure it can happen. Like everyone says, it’s a business and big time decisions are apart of that. I was just saying Cam>Cutler and it shouldn’t be close. Cam will get healthy again, but will the team be patient enough to find out...

If you want to compare them both at their best, take away all the real life factors and look at it purely in a vacuum, I'd agree.

Unfortunately, you don't get to do that in the real world. And even if you could, nobody's making true life business decisions based on those kind of comparisons.

You have to deal with what is.

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

He already has and has a better record. Stop with this absurdity. Allen is a redshirt rookie and is playing good football. Just as good as Cam sans the running ability. 

I'm cheering Kyle on. I don't believe he stays the starter past this season regardless of what happens.

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

On top of this, we still don't know if Cam's shoulders can take a seasons worth of abuse. It lasted 6 or 7 games last year. I wanted to see if it could hold up this year, but the foot injury kept that from happening. 

This is something you have to factor in.

A lot of people are talking about Newton getting healthy. Getting healthy is only half the issue.

You also have to stay healthy, and you have to do it through a marathon of 16 games where people are constantly slamming into you, stepping on you and generally trying to inflict as much damage on you as they can.

Even healthy athletes in their mid-20s get worn down over the course of a full season. You can expect that not to happen to Newton.

1 minute ago, Ship said:

I'm cheering Kyle on. I don't believe he stays the starter past this season regardless of what happens.

Fact is you don't know that after 6 games. Just like you don't know what 2020 Cam brings you. Either way I hope next year we actually pay for some protection. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is something you have to factor in.

A lot of people are talking about Newton getting healthy. Getting healthy is only half the issue.

You also have to stay healthy, and you have to do it through a marathon of 16 games where people are constantly slamming into you, stepping on you and generally trying to inflict as much damage on you as they can.

Even healthy athletes in their mid-20s get worn down over the course of a full season. You can expect that not to happen to Newton.

Im not sure you pay a premium to find that out. Especially with cheaper options. 

Archived