• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When healthy...

Overall, I'd agree. But both were considered franchise quarterbacks, and both were considered flawed, though for different reasons.

I've always most closely compared Newton to Brett Favre. Favre essentially was the Packers, yet the time came when they moved on from him.

If you think that can't happen here, you're in denial.

Well in comparison they drafted a First round talent to take over and knew retirement was coming. Favre just had 5 more seasons than anticipated.

i mean they draft Aaron, 3 more playoffs, including NFC Championship and Favre “retires”. They moved on.

so he was traded. 2 more good seasons.

notice he had a hurt shoulder which derailed the playoff certainty of the Jets. He should have been taken out a few games and maybe his shoulder would have been good for a playoff run.

he was great in Minni— people put that last interception on him but I put it on the refs and Colonel Klink. That was the worst roughing passer non call I can ever remember. Klink should have taken at least a time out.

and the defense just folded in overtime.

at any rate it wasn’t the same situation. We have no speakable next quarterback—

I mean if we had drafted Desean Watson and had him back there ala Aaron Rodgers that would be simple.

we don’t— we have a “little engine that could”

I think I can I think I can I think I can— that’s us.

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Nobody of Cams caliber has been cut by a new GM/coach. Andrew Luck is the most recent example of new coach/GM coming in and his injuries were far more career threatening. 

mr scot turns any argument against his as “fan speak” when his only example is jay cutler. Who is so vastly different of a player/leader than Cam it is laughable. Nobody thinks this is completely out of the realm of possibility if Newton simply doesn’t overcome his injuries. But if we had a new GM/HC get rid of a franchise qb of Cams caliber on the last year of his contract returning from injury it would be the first time in NFL history I can ever remember that ever happening. It simply does not happen and mr scot is acting like that is just some common thing.  And he’s even speculated that if Cam is healthy it could still happen.

Pretty much everything you're arguing about Newton relates to how he was.

Nobody's going to make the decision based on what he used to be. It's going to be based on what he is now and what they project him being in the future.

Joe Person had already indicated even before this latest news that Newton's future with the Panthers was in doubt. He's not the only one saying that either.

Today's story doesn't exactly make that outlook brighter.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nobody's going to make the decision based on what he used to be. It's going to be based on what he is now and what they project him being in the future.

Joe Person had already indicated even before this latest news that Newton's future with the Panthers was in doubt. Today's story doesn't exactly make that outlook brighter.

This discussion is about him getting cut after this season. You do not cut Cam to save 19 million next season unless you are 100% sure he is done from injuries. You evaluate his play next season to see if he’s back healthy to give him a long term contract. You’ve speculated that Cam would be cut simply because he isn’t “their guy” healthy or not. I asked for an example. You gave me Jay cutler. Lol.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Joe Person had already indicated even before this latest news that Newton's future with the Panthers was in doubt. He's not the only one saying that either.

Today's story doesn't exactly make that outlook brighter.

People have some major 2015 blinders on when it comes to Newton. Blunders I admittedly had when Jake was done. 

3 hours ago, musicman said:

Even if he doesn't play this year and heals up for next year, I think the Panthers let him play out his next year. If he's back to form they pay up, if not, he was only $21 mil for 2020. It's worth the gamble. They will not give him a long term deal just yet. I hope he comes back and has a great year, Good for him and everyone that way. 

I agree...I have a feeling they rest Cam..he starts next year and see how he plays up until the trade deadline.  Obviously this can all change depending on our current QB play!  Who knows, maybe the Owner/Staff feels out the locker room to see how the chemistry is going and just decide to move on from Cam and trade him in the off season.  What a mystery this all is...

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This discussion is about him getting cut after this season. You do not cut Cam to save 19 million next season unless you are 100% sure he is done from injuries. You evaluate his play next season to see if he’s back healthy to give him a long term contract. You’ve speculated that Cam would be cut simply because he isn’t “their guy” healthy or not. I asked for an example. You gave me Jay cutler. Lol.

People who actually have access to the team had already been speculating that Newton might not be retained regardless of whether there are staff changes or not.

And now this...

Cutler isn't the only example of a team moving on from an established quarterback, but he's a good example here because he was still in his prime, healthy and performing well. Yet even with all those things being true, they still moved on from him.

Newton is older now than Cutler was at that time, and hasn't shown himself to be healthy in about a year. If this story plays out, it will have been a season and a half since Newton has been healthy enough to play and win a game.

Take a look at what Denver got in trade for Cutler. Do you realistically see anybody giving that up for a guy who hasn't been healthy for a season and a half?

A fan might be willing to gamble that he'll return to form after all that. A businessman or a decision maker with millions on the line is less likely to do so. Those sort of guys have no problem looking at a guy and saying "You're really great and thank you for everything you did, but we're moving in a different direction."

You can stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la la la" as much as you want to, but it won't change that this is a real possibility.

We all (well most of us) love Cam, but I just hope he doesn’t break himself down physically too much. He’s already taken a beating that most QBs never take. He’s had serious injuries.

Real life goes on for a lot longer than football life. Make sure you are healthy enough to enjoy your 50’s, 60’s etc. I didn’t blame Luck and I certainly wouldn’t blame Cam if he decides the abuse just isn’t worth it anymore. 

As much as I’ve enjoyed seeing him play, his infectious smile after scoring TDs, handing balls to kids in the stands after flipping over defenders on his way to rushing TD records, I want him to enjoy his life and his kids after this.

If he comes back I’ll celebrate it, but I could fully support him hanging it up. I just don’t want him to be one of those guys who can hardly walk when he’s 50 because he’s taken so many hits.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Cutler was one of the biggest pussies to ever play the game.

I don't know why anyone even quotes Scot anymore.

Yet here you are talking about me :)

I'll ask you the same question I just asked. Take a look back at what Denver got in trade for Cutler. Did Chicago overpay? I sure as hell thought so at the time but that doesn't really matter. They paid according to what they judged his value to be.

Do you really see anybody taking a look at the Cam Newton of right now (not the one of four years ago) and giving up a similar compensation package?

We aren't gonna be in a position to draft a QB high next year, we'll be looking at a late 1st or a 2nd round rookie. We aren't replacing Cam with a FA QB either. There is no incentive to ditch Cam next season because he is either going to be the starter as usual or is going to be mixed in with his successor. There's no point in saying ditch Cam to sign FAs, we have a plan in place to sign our expiring guys that we want to keep, that plan has likely included Cam's salary anyway. That money isn't going to buy us a Super Bowl without Cam. Nothing will happen until next season.

Archived