• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Rather have Cam with a new coach.  I said after the second game that Cam has earned the chance to get healthy and I still believe that.  Starting over with a new coach and a ? at QB could be disastrous.

I could buy into that as well. I was just simply saying that if this is the end of Cam in Carolina, starting with a clean slate would be my preferred scenario. Maybe get a GM and coach who prioritizes protecting a franchise QB.

Imagine a franchise that never had a back to back winning season (that’s f’n terrible btw) just give up on a franchise QB cause they wanna save 20 million for one season . We don’t have that luxury we are not the patriots nor Steelers to make moves like that . But proceed and watch cam light the league up on his new team while we look dumb with who? Kyle Allen ? Will Grier? Lol he from Charlotte guys so he perfect for us . We a joke franchise . 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If anything, the mishandling of yet another injury to a franchise QB is a reason for them to go.

A new GM might come in and take a look at Cam's age, contract situation, and the draft and decide to let Cam go.  The $30-40m Cam will demand could fill a lot of holes in free agency (S, C, T, WR).  We could then focus on a first round QB, knowing Allen and Grier are developing. 

That has not been Marty's pattern.  He will sign Cam to an extension (remember Jake after Tommy John surgery) and decide between Bradberry and Thompson.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Anderson said surgery wasn't needed.

I hate to say it but I think Cam is just tired of football, not the sport but the constant rehab and surgeries. I could foresee him taking a year or so, signing up and getting a ring somewhere else. Very sad times. Hopefully though he finds the fire to come back this season or next. 

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

my hope is he comes back healthy in 2020 with a brand new coaching staff/gm. 

Brand new coaching staff / GM might want their own guy to build around.

A guy who always wants players to end their careers "on their own terms" might be more likely to keep him around.

53 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

when a surgeon says they don't want to do surgery, that's a bad sign. 

Care to elaborate on that?

Oy...

This is one of those things that I knew was "back of my mind' possible but didn't really believe would happen. Heck, I thought he'd have been playing weeks ago. When the timetable kept getting pushed back, the doubt started getting larger.

And yeah, as someone pointed out, if that Tampa Bay game and that dumbass play that had him sneaking out to the right is the last image we have of him in a Panthers uniform, that's not exactly a blaze of glory. I'm used to the notion that players rarely end their careers on a high note, but it still sucks to see.

As to Kyle Allen, the words "extended audition" come to mind.

I still remember the one poster here who said that watching him in college, he actually got worse as he went along. I couldn't really say we've seen evidence of that here. We were seeing actual signs of improvement to be honest, but the 49er game was a big road block.

What we have to see now is how he responds from that beating. And unfortunately, he'll have to do it behind an offensive line that makes Swiss cheese look like armor plate.

He's got one of the better quarterback coaches in the league to work with though, so there's hope.

But again... Oy.

This has definitely not been the kind of season anybody saw coming.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Oy...

This is one of those things that I knew was "back of my mind' possible but didn't really believe would happen. Heck, I thought he'd have been playing weeks ago. When the timetable kept getting pushed back, the doubt started getting larger.

And yeah, as someone pointed out, if that Tampa Bay game and that dumbass play that had him sneaking out to the right is the last image we have of him in a Panthers uniform, that's not exactly a blaze of glory. I'm used to the notion that players rarely end their careers on a high note, but it still sucks to see.

As to Kyle Allen, the words "extended audition" come to mind.

I still remember the one poster here who said that watching him in college, he actually got worse as he went along. I couldn't really say we've seen evidence of that here. We were seeing actual signs of improvement to be honest, but the 49er game was a big road block.

What we have to see now is how he responds from that beating. And unfortunately, he'll have to do it behind an offensive line that makes Swiss cheese look like armor plate.

He's got one of the better quarterback coaches in the league to work with though, so there's hope.

But again... Oy.

This has definitely not been the kind of season anybody saw coming.

I’ve got 10-1 odds that if Cam goes on IR that Will Grier will start a game this year for sure 

32 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

A new GM might come in and take a look at Cam's age, contract situation, and the draft and decide to let Cam go.  The $30-40m Cam will demand could fill a lot of holes in free agency (S, C, T, WR).  We could then focus on a first round QB, knowing Allen and Grier are developing. 

That has not been Marty's pattern.  He will sign Cam to an extension (remember Jake after Tommy John surgery) and decide between Bradberry and Thompson.

Exactly. All these poster saying don’t worry we won’t touch his contract yet. Clearly our Cam based new fans have little experience with Mr. Hurney.

The guy giving out contracts is the same one that gave Jake a 5 year contract in 2009 after two 1k backs lead him to the playoffs where he proceeded to throw 6 interceptions (should have been 8)  and had a wet noodle of an arm and was clearly done.

Hurney is the LAST person I want deciding on Newton’s contract when the best thing to do is clearly leave it alone.

Just wait and let him play next year. 

Can we suck enough for Justin Herbert is the question. Tua is #1. Fromm or Burrow are the others with solid potential. 

Bengals/Dolphins/Skins/Falcons have the top 4 on lock at the moment but you never know.

All for winning with Allen or Grier though but there’s some interesting talent in this coming class.

Archived