• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

Sucks for Cam. Despite his volatility he made this franchise relevant and a national story, even when the team wasn't great. The injuries are frustrating but that's the risk we take with using him as a RB for so long. The hate he gets from a certain segment of the fanbase is...expected. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Imagine if Ron and Hurney did the right thing and sat him at the start of the season which is clearly what they should have done. 

Cam may be fine right now. 

and we honestly probably win one if not both of those games. Very very frustrating 

I get 14 pages and on my count and certainly someone has responded like I am going to, to:

Being placed on Injured Reserve is on the table for Newton, sources say.

The reason is simply the timing. If he's out more than a month and heals perfectly during that time, is a December return to the field realistic? Maybe not.

If I am paying someone to do a job and they are physically able, they need to be doing it. I mean, there are scenarios where that is all the impetus I need to put him on the field. I want to see what he looks like and I don't want to wait ANOTHER entire offseason, making my moves on the assumption that he can make through a game without sustaining injury to find that I am not going to get anything for my money, again.

I know I am not paying, just saying. And I am not sure, because of some of the reasons given, that I want him starting a big game. If that is the position we are in (hypothetically, it is certainly not a given), Allen will have been driving the bus and the team is functioning at a high level, I would be inclined to leave things alone.

But there is no way I take the option out of my hands and just pay an able bodied quarterback not to practice, not to dress, not to be there if there is an injury and darned sure not to demonstrate that he is a viable option moving forward.

Part of me does wonder if at some point, Rivera isn't just going to come out and say that Allen is the starter indefinitely. If he did, that'd pretty much signal that Newton is out for the year.

With that said, even if it is determined behind the scenes that Newton is out for the year, my expectation would be that the starter would continue to be announced on a week to week basis unless the time comes that they actually do put him on IR.

14 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

They might as well IR him and let him get to 100% before next year .  He still has a year left on his contract in 2020. Let him play the final year of his contract and make a big QB decision after that season.

Hmm...not sure we can put off looking for a QB in the next draft so we can wait and see on Newton.

Archived