• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's worth $21M to find out. That's middle of the road QB pay these days. Guys like Kirk Cousins, Jacoby Brissett, Derek Carr, and Alex Smith make more than that.

Could you imagine the shitshow if we cut Cam and he ended up signing with say the Bears and taking them to the SB while we floundered around with Kyle Allen doing a Case Keenum impersonation... oh wee mayne.

If it's not my money we're spending, sure it is.

In reality though, that's an awful lot of cap space to devote to an uncertainty.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're going pretty shallow into history if you think that.

Well if you want to go back further, history would have told you that a guy who only stands 5'9 is a lousy choice to play middle linebacker.

Point being, and I'm a really odd person to be the one to say this, history doesn't tell you everything.

It's wise to know it and consult it, but not to be a slave to it.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Would go a long way in locking up the players we do want to keep. 

Yeah but unless we plan on pulling a Chicago, and trading up for a qb or the staff believes Grier is the future, we’d be delaying the Inevitable otherwise 

bradberry is the only player who needs to be locked up long term asap , Shaq secondly but I doubt he gets much of a pay raise than what he’s receiving now. Cmc is next afterwards 

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If it a complete unknown, sure. 

We have his CarFax though. 

If the doctors think the foot is a major long-term liability then it makes sense to let him go.

The Dolphins also thought Brees' shoulder was shot and look at them ever since.

$21M is a small gamble in today's QB market.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I heard today from someone in the org that Cam was never even close to returning so far this year. Makes me think we won't see him this year at all. 

So if Cam is retained, how many long will it have been since we have seen him play good football? Approaching 2 years?

Even the last time he did play, he wasn't at full health. if you want to go back to the last time he was completely healthy, that's a while.

What I also find concerning is just how little time it took him to get injured again. He was in Preseason Three for what, two or three series?

That doesn't really inspire confidence.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well if you want to go back further, history would have told you that a guy who only stands 5'9 is a lousy choice to play middle linebacker.

Point being, and I'm a really odd person to be the one to say this, history doesn't tell you everything.

It's wise to know it and consult it, but not to be a slave to it.

When we signed Mills he was already well established as one of the best LBs in the NFL, he was just considered to be past his prime and his contract reflected that. 2 years, $2.8M. It was a very low risk move.

58 minutes ago, Snake said:

Fact is you don't know that after 6 games. Just like you don't know what 2020 Cam brings you. Either way I hope next year we actually pay for some protection. 

No, I don't know, but I'm not even basing it on performance. I think we've seen guys like Case Keenum, Trevor Siemian, Nick Foles, and others play the same kind of role as Kyle and none of them stayed with their teams long term after good seasons. I think it speaks to GMs, coaches, and owners wanting a pedigree and "higher ceilings" over anything else. Any new coach or GM will move on from Kyle, I'd bet at some point if Hurney stays he'd pull Kyle to try Grier too. That's why I don't think he lasts here.

3 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Yeah but unless we plan on pulling a Chicago, and trading up for a qb or the staff believes Grier is the future, we’d be delaying the Inevitable otherwise 

bradberry is the only player who needs to be locked up long term asap , Shaq secondly but I doubt he gets much of a pay raise than what he’s receiving now. Cmc is next afterwards 

Yep. And look at Chicago and Trubisky. I'm not nearly as down on Trubisky as many are, but it's very safe to say at this point that they made a terrible trade to go up and get him. It stings even worse because they took him over two much better QBs.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If the doctors think the foot is a major long-term liability then it makes sense to let him go.

The Dolphins also thought Brees' shoulder was shot and look at them ever since.

I suppose you meant San Diego Chargers or are you referring to the almost trade?

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

When we signed Mills he was already well established as one of the best LBs in the NFL, he was just considered to be past his prime and his contract reflected that. 2 years, $2.8M. It was a very low risk move.

I'm not necessarily talking about us in that case.

We got him after he's already proven himself, but somebody else had to give him that opportunity to prove himself.

Archived