• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out several more weeks. IR possible.

Jeremy Igo

9 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

If a surgeon says surgery isn't required, he either A.) doesn't know what it is or B.) doesn't think the client will pay.

You don't know any surgeons. A good friend of mine is a surgeon. He regularly empathizes that surgery should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell yeah! Let's lock them up! That way we can be up against the cap with no QB and we should be able to win 6-7 games ensuring we're not in a good spot to land a legit QB prospect in the draft!

Wanting Cam to be able to play doesn't mean Cam will be able to play. 

Hell yeah! Let's lock them up! That way we can be up against the cap with no QB and we should be able to win 6-7 games ensuring we're not in a good spot to land a legit QB prospect in the draft!

lol that made me think of the 'addition by subtraction' crap marty sold us before, right after we retained the core of a terrible team

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

this. if we let Cam walk then it's time to let Bradberry, Shaq, and anyone else with a contract coming up within a few years walk too. letting Cam walk means we're in full rebuilding mode.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

This discussion is about him getting cut after this season. You do not cut Cam to save 19 million next season unless you are 100% sure he is done from injuries. You evaluate his play next season to see if he’s back healthy to give him a long term contract.

That’s what people said. See how he is this season, well he lasted all of a drive, in actuality, see how is is next season. RR’s contract is up in 2021. I don’t really see Tepper getting rid of him until then if Tepper does, unless the bottom falls out this season. If Cam doesn’t rock out next season, you can well expect a new crew to bring in a new QB. 

That’s if Cam plays for us again, I have the feeling Cam is done.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, I've watched football long enough to say that I don't know it.

I've said it before. All that I definitively know about Allen right now is that he's good enough to play in the NFL. How good he can potentially be in the future is still very much unknown, even if nobody wants to admit that.

I've seen plenty of people make half-assed predictions based on a small sample. Hell, more than half the people on this board think they know whether a player is a stud or a bust one quarter into their first preseason game. those predictions tend to be just as reliable as you'd expect them to be.

I get that everybody wants to Nostradumbass, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Right, we don't KNOW. But there are a ton of historical indicators sure shining a strong light. It would be foolish to ignore them.

I think it's highly likely that Allen ends up being a bottom third starting QB when the season is done. That's not a knock on Allen. Good backup/subpar starter is a still a damn good career path for a UDFA.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Neither does thinking you have conclusive proof that Kyle Allen sucks.

Lots of people are framing this as an Allen vs Newton thing when it really isn't.

Kyle Allen could be the worst quarterback in the world or the greatest quarterback in history. Neither of those things would have any effect whatsoever on whether Cam Newton is going to heal up and be able to play for the Panthers again in the future.

Kyle Allen's ability and Cam Newton's health are completely separate issues.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Neither does thinking you have conclusive proof that Kyle Allen sucks.

Lots of people are framing this as an Allen vs Newton thing when it really isn't.

Kyle Allen could be the worst quarterback in the world or the greatest quarterback in history. Neither of those things would have any effect whatsoever on whether Cam Newton is going to heal up and be able to play for the Panthers again in the future.

Kyle Allen's ability and Cam Newton's health are completely separate issues.

I heard today from someone in the org that Cam was never even close to returning so far this year. Makes me think we won't see him this year at all. 

So if Cam is retained, how many long will it have been since we have seen him play good football? Approaching 2 years?

Right, we don't KNOW. But there are a ton of historical indicators sure shining a strong light. It would be foolish to ignore them.

I think it's highly likely that Allen ends up being a bottom third starting QB when the season is done. That's not a knock on Allen. Good backup/subpar starter is a still a damn good career path for a UDFA.

History would have told you that it was a bad idea to draft a runningback in the top ten.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It's worth $21M to find out. That's middle of the road QB pay these days. Guys like Kirk Cousins, Jacoby Brissett, Derek Carr, and Alex Smith make more than that.

Could you imagine the shitshow if we cut Cam and he ended up signing with say the Bears and taking them to the SB while we floundered around with Kyle Allen doing a Case Keenum impersonation... oh wee mayne.

Archived