• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What incentive does a "win now, or else" coach have to think long term?

Jeremy Igo

Short answer: He doesn't.

To be honest though, I don't really know that putting him on IR would have made a difference in how he was handled.

Only real change I can think of is we would have had an open roster spot oh, and I kinda doubt that would have gone to a quarterback.

This is a reason why Gruden wanted such a long term deal with the Raiders.  While I absolutely hated Gruden on MNF and I didn't think he was worth that investment..I can definitely see though how he saw the Raiders as a long term gig.

The Raiders had to be blown up to a degree, and rebuilt.  That means putting up with a year or two of sucking.  Ensuring he had a long term deal meant he didn't have to coach in a "win now" mode

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If Rivera was coming off a recent Superbowl, Cam would have been IR'd long ago.

But since his only prayer of sticking around is to win this season, he has no incentive to do the right thing for the long term.

Yes? No?

Rehab can go several different ways. Not fair to assume the responsibility on medical professionals let alone coaches who have no idea how an injury may or may not progress.

3 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

This is a reason why Gruden wanted such a long term deal with the Raiders.  While I absolutely hated Gruden on MNF and I didn't think he was worth that investment..I can definitely see though how he saw the Raiders as a long term gig.

The Raiders had to be blown up to a degree, and rebuilt.  That means putting up with a year or two of sucking.  Ensuring he had a long term deal meant he didn't have to coach in a "win now" mode

Aikman mentioned last night that the 49ers offered both John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan six-year deals as a way of letting them know they would have time to build their vision.

Ron and his built in excuse for this season.  Thus should have been the first step not the last for a 100 million dollar qb.

“I spent a long time speaking with Cam this week and he’s done everything he possibly can in his rehab process to get his foot to 100 percent,” general manager Marty Hurney said. “Unfortunately, we haven’t reached that point. The next step is for him to go see Dr. Anderson and gather more information.”

This new news doesn't change the issue at the heart of it.  Newton limping in the lead up to week 1, protective playcalling all make you question the coach's decision.  Newton hiding the extent of his injury and the team doing the right thing with Short gives you pause.  Draw your conclusions as you will because we'll likely never fully hear what went on.

21 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Blaming Coach Rivera now for Cam being injury prone, after getting injured again in a pre-season game when we were told he was 100% healthy?  That doesn't pass muster.

And I agree, Coach Rivera should have been given an extension already

Why should Ron Rivera be given an extension?  

Archived