• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What incentive does a "win now, or else" coach have to think long term?

Jeremy Igo

I don't think there's anything Rivera can do at this current juncture to keep his job. The team is not good enough to make the playoffs in a stacked NFC with Kyle Allen at QB. They are one Christian McCaffrey injury away from being completely inept on offense. Things are about to get really bad.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Spoiler Alert!

Miami Dolphins

I will give them credit for understanding where they were before the season started and focusing on acquiring future assets. Other teams (CIN, WAS) waited until it was too late and couldn't get the kind of ROI that MIA got in September. 

ORIGINAL QUESTION:  "What incentive does a "win now, or else" coach have to think long term?"

ANSWER:  None.

2nd Issue -- Decision to IR a Player:

The problem with your thesis there is the decision to IR a player, Cam in this case, is a GM decision....'Boat coaches the players, Marty drafts/trades/manages the players.

In New England it's different because Belichick has control over both function but here that's not the case. 

Can't hang this one on Ol' Rowboat....

31 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If Rivera was coming off a recent Superbowl, Cam would have been IR'd long ago.

But since his only prayer of sticking around is to win this season, he has no incentive to do the right thing for the long term.

Yes? No?

No, because if he felt like he needed to win now, he would’ve never started Daryl over Daley last sunday

There’s “win now” and there’s “win now”

The funny thing is the only team that never seems to need a “rebuilding” is the Patriots.  Yes same quarterback for 18 1/2 years but even the year it was Matt Cassel they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

every other team has to go in cycles, out with the old, draft right and bring in the right retreads,.. get an attitude, gel and peak at the right times— catch fire and go on a run.

if you make it,.. Broncos, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indy, New Orleans,   Going through a bad cycle next— cap too maxed out, old players, stale coaches,.. bla bla bla

If you don’t... Panthers, Atlanta, San Diego, Jets(2 AFC Championships back to back with a butt fumble), San Francisco(Harbaugh vs Harbaugh), Arizona, go through the same crap— just with the heads down.

The win now with recent upswings makes them safer and can think a little longer term.  The ones that really stink or haven’t had an upswing in 4 seasons or more can’t think past the next few games.

I’m just wondering when the rest of the league figures out how to plug and play anyone and adjust when they have to instead of doing this stupid dance.

I’m always careful to draw those conclusions. But I understand the thinking. The team lost seven straight games last year. The franchise quarterback worked back from shoulder surgery. He was having a really good camp. The turf monster eats the foot in New England. And then all hell breaks loose. I give Ron some credit for holding the team together through the aftermath of that. It’s not his fault the Cam was injured in New England.

But, it certainly didn’t feel or look like he was ready to play his brand of football against Los Angeles. If I were a head coach, I would certainly like to think I would own that.

Archived