• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect, thank the maker that Cam Newton did not start

Jeremy Igo

Related: Per Joe Person, the starting offensive line configuration lasted all of one series.

One...

Pulling Darryl Williams I get, but I'd still rather have kept Taylor Moton on the left and plugged somebody else and on the right.

The replacement configuration was an absolute sh-tshow but we stuck with it for the rest of the game anyway.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My agenda is winning. I don't care who the QB could have been yesterday. It was a L before it started thanks to Rivera.

Plain enough for you?

I'll accept that.

So where do we go from here if we can't turn the season around? Is there really any argument for keeping Rivera around if 2019 ends up yet another losing season? We've been jamming a square peg in a round hole for years now with the defensive guru thing, and it's netted us two Super Bowl losses. Yes 2015 was a fun ride, but we looked as inept against the Broncos as we did against the Falcons in our lone loss of the regular season that year. And actually since that loss to ATL they have had our number more often than not.

People will say there will be hiccups and difficulties along the way with a new coach and staff, but really how worse could it get than 2 franchise record losses on the road in back to back seasons? Yeah Ron finally took the blame for a loss almost 10 years later. Cam has been doing that walk of shame the entire time. I'm not impressed with finally waving the white flag now.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

So where do we go from here if we can't turn the season around? 

Clean house.

Take the Jerry Richardson appointees out of the building and rebuild the whole damn thing.

It might mean a few years of misery, but with the current braintrust in charge, we're gonna have that anyway.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It would not have mattered if Tom Brady started for the Carolina Panthers yesterday. It was destined to be a butt whooping before the Panthers ever stepped foot off the plane. 

Thank goodness Cam did not play or the national narrative right now surrounding this team would be brutal. Better to have Kyle take a beating and have a bad game. This kind of loss as Cam's first game back would be a perfect storm of fugatude. 

Yeah because now the fanbase can use KA as a scapegoat am I right?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Related: Per Joe Person, the starting offensive line configuration lasted all of one series.

One...

Pulling Darryl Williams I get, but I'd still rather have kept Taylor Moton on the left and plugged somebody else and on the right.

The replacement configuration was an absolute sh-tshow but we stuck with it for the rest of the game anyway.

That entire experiment felt bizarre and stupid during pregame. It created confusion among reporters and fans, but it didn’t create any confusion for Shanahan. If this was some sort of coy play, it was incredibly ignorant. Of all games, this was the last one to be dicking around with the continuity up front. 

16 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I'll accept that.

So where do we go from here if we can't turn the season around? Is there really any argument for keeping Rivera around if 2019 ends up yet another losing season? We've been jamming a square peg in a round hole for years now with the defensive guru thing, and it's netted us two Super Bowl losses. Yes 2015 was a fun ride, but we looked as inept against the Broncos as we did against the Falcons in our lone loss of the regular season that year. And actually since that loss to ATL they have had our number more often than not.

People will say there will be hiccups and difficulties along the way with a new coach and staff, but really how worse could it get than 2 franchise record losses on the road in back to back seasons? Yeah Ron finally took the blame for a loss almost 10 years later. Cam has been doing that walk of shame the entire time. I'm not impressed with finally waving the white flag now.

I was wanting Rivera fired in January. I will be happy when he goes.  Hopefully Cam balls out soon and will justify his salary next season. That would be the best case scenerio. if he can't get healthy or plays poorly the Panthers have tough decisions to make. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You are the one that wants to cherry pick the bad QB plays and pretend Cam would do better on all of them to win the game. Sounds like something kids do during recess. 

I said there was a possibility he could do better after you said the result would have been the same and then lied saying cam always loses when the team implodes. Stop lying please.

14 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I said there was a possibility he could do better after you said the result would have been the same and then lied saying cam always loses when the team implodes. Stop lying please.

Go look at the past team implosions (offense, defense, special teams, coaching) and let me know one where Cam played really well. 

All I can find are things like this.. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Or maybe you feel if Cam Newton played instead of Cam Newton they could have won?

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I was wanting Rivera fired in January. I will be happy when he goes.  Hopefully Cam balls out soon and will justify his salary next season. That would be the best case scenerio. if he can't get healthy or plays poorly the Panthers have tough decisions to make. 

The hardest part about the whole situation is helping fans understand how to manage the expectations. There’s a business side of this, and a football side to it, and there’s a lot of unknown ahead of us in terms of Cam. 

People live in a fantasy land, and they think he’s going to put on a magic cape, fly in and save the day. I think he makes the team better instantly, because he’s an elite quarterback. But he has some rust now, he hasn’t been able to practice for a minute, and how much value do you get if he can’t or won’t sprinkle in those 5 to 7 runs a game? 

This needs to be a part of his arsenal, because as much as he’s improved in terms of completion percentage and efficiency, this is the part of the game that makes him so dangerous. Literally moves the chains.

Without it, you’re getting a solid 68-ish% completion QB, thanks in large part to check downs, tunnel screens and shallow crossers. Sorry if that pisses anybody off, but it’s a big part of the formula that worked last year before he went down.

Archived