• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect, thank the maker that Cam Newton did not start

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know the general belief is "he'll be a head coach again in five minutes", and maybe he will.

I just wish more people understood that's not actually a good argument in favor of keeping him.

Lots of teams have worse head coaches right now.  We need a top 10 HC at least.  Is Ron a top 10 coach?  It’s who you ask.  

8 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Yes he’s won games like that too. You blanketed a statement as “always” which is once again false.

Yup. Thats what makes him such an incredible QB. The dude had multiple seasons with crayon sniffer Mike Shula, trash at the tackle spots, WR's who couldnt separate or catch, a head coach who would provide players such as the incredible Amini, or would do things like bench him for a tie issue or back him up from illegal head shots he would take by saying he would "take a shot too" and a defense that lets be real would completely melt down and he would take over games and pull the win out. Did it happen each time? No, but the fact that it would happen showed just how much of a safety net he was for Ron. The phrase "Save me Cam!!!" became so valid because of that crap happening so often. Maybe Cam wouldnt have been enough this time but the fact that he has actually done it in situations like this shows how much of an MVP he was for us and I hope we get him back healthy asap. Ron isnt known for making adjustments to handle this and we need a shot in the arm before this thing falls apart like last year.

I get what Rum is saying, he's making valid points.

Personally maybe it's selfish of me but I am admittedly a bit relieved not to have had to witness the possibility of Cam getting injured behind an offensive line where guys were getting thrown to the ground like ragdolls on some Little Giants poo. We need Newton healthy or we are toast.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The biggest issue that gives me pause beyond this circular beating a dead horse back and forth QB vs QB discussion is almost everyone expected us to lose entering this game. We had ample time to prepare, and we basically never even really showed up. There is no spinning that into a positive for a staff helmed by a head coach that has been in place for a decade. I hate to say it because I like him and I never wanted him to fail here but I think Ron Rivera's ceiling is a slightly better Mike Smith. We're even 2-6 against Dan Quinn whose team currently has one of the worst records in football. The bell is ringing, it can't be ignored.

This is a really good point. And this situation has happened repeatedly with Rivera at the helm, which is really troubling given the amount of time he has had over the years he has been here to digest the issues and fix them.

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I get what Rum is saying, he's making valid points.

Personally maybe it's selfish of me but I am admittedly a bit relieved not to have had to witness the possibility of Cam getting injured behind an offensive line where guys were getting thrown to the ground like ragdolls on some Little Giants poo. We need Newton healthy or we are toast.

I wouldn't have wanted to see a quarterback who was just recovering from injury and getting his first game action walking into that buzzsaw yesterday.

That has nothing to do with QB preference. It just would have been a bad situation.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not just the defense. The offense, special teams, and coaching too. It was a poo show top to bottom and Cam is not immune to those. This game was a non starter. 

Reminded me of that Chicago game a few years back. Got toasted. Ron is a terrible HC. Two weeks to prepare and we poo the bed so hard. Bruce Irvin, Vernon Butler, and CMC were the only ones that I saw that came to play, maybe McCoy.

the only difference a healthy cam would have made is in the post game narrative. Now it will be that much easier to make the switch back to Cam. The schedule is brutal and honestly, if we lose a few more before he is ready, we might as well send him to IR. Need to win 2 out of Ten, GB, And Indy to have a shot.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

No he wouldn't. History has told us that. It's a team sport. 

Now we're entering into revisionist history shenanigans, and no good will come from that.

Igo should really stop tap dancing around his agenda and just speak plainly. I could at least begin to respect that. Until then trolls will continue to follow his lead.

Anything that could go wrong went wrong. I don’t think Jimmy G threw a single pass past 20 yards down the field. Screen after screen after screen. Too much over pursuit, not enough pressure on 3rd down, sacks and turnovers led to it getting out of hand. At 4-2 we were on the outside looking in at the playoffs especially losing to the Rams and the Bucs, now it will be nearly impossible. I think an 11-5 team will NOT make it in the NFC 

Archived