• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect, thank the maker that Cam Newton did not start

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

What happens if Cam looks bad like Cam has always looked when the team implodes around him? 

This is unequivocally false. How many games has the defense looked like Swiss cheese and Cam put the team on his back to win. A lot. I’m not sure what you’re doing here. Has cam looked bad when the team has looked bad? Yes. Has Cam willed the team to a win when the rest of the team has looked bad? Yes. 

Just now, TheRumGone said:

This is unequivocally false. How many games has the defense looked like Swiss cheese and Cam put the team on his back to win. A lot. I’m not sure what you’re doing here. Has cam looked bad when the team has looked bad? Yes. Has Cam willed the team to a win when the rest of the team has looked bad? Yes. 

Not just the defense. The offense, special teams, and coaching too. It was a poo show top to bottom and Cam is not immune to those. This game was a non starter. 

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Not just the defense. The offense, special teams, and coaching too. It was a poo show top to bottom and Cam is not immune to those. This game was a non starter. 

Yes he’s won games like that too. You blanketed a statement as “always” which is once again false.

and you also didn’t respond to my initial post about the dynamics changing based on certain factors in games. Because that is actually a real thing.

As to yesterday, I don't really give a damn about the image or how it would have "looked" to the media or anybody else.

My concern yesterday would have been whether Newton might have wound up injured again.

And unless the line improves drastically, that'll still be my concern whenever he gets back.

I don't think it matters who starts the rest of the season. This team is not good. They beat some bad teams. They are going to get beat by the good ones. Anyone think this team can beat Green Bay, New Orleans 2x, Seattle, or hell even Indianapolis? That's 5 more games that are likely losses that will put the Panthers at 8-8, and that includes beating the Falcons in Atlanta which the Panthers haven't done since 2014. 

21 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

and you also didn’t respond to my initial post about the dynamics changing based on certain factors in games. Because that is actually a real thing.

You mean because it is a silly thing to do. Want to go through the game play by play and discuss what if Cam did this better or worse than what Kyle did at the time?

Cam is a good QB. He hasn't been an elite QB in quite a few seasons. I am not certain 2015 Cam could have won yesterday either, because it felt a lot like the at Atlanta game in 2015 (against Kyle Shanahan interestingly enough).

Sometimes the team is just a poo show and destined for an L.

The biggest issue that gives me pause beyond this circular beating a dead horse back and forth QB vs QB discussion is almost everyone expected us to lose entering this game. We had ample time to prepare, and we basically never even really showed up. There is no spinning that into a positive for a staff helmed by a head coach that has been in place for a decade. I hate to say it because I like him and I never wanted him to fail here but I think Ron Rivera's ceiling is a slightly better Mike Smith. We're even 2-6 against Dan Quinn whose team currently has one of the worst records in football. The bell is ringing, it can't be ignored.

You mean because it is a silly thing to do. Want to go through the game play by play and discuss what if Cam did this better or worse than what Kyle did at the time?

Cam is a good QB. He hasn't been an elite QB in quite a few seasons. I am not certain 2015 Cam could have won yesterday either, because it felt a lot like the at Atlanta game in 2015.

Sometimes the team is just a poo show and destined for an L.

Cam is a better qb so it is logical that he had a chance to play better. It is also logical that the game plan would’ve been different had Cam been in the game. It is also logical to think that because of that the game might have gone differently. I’m not saying with 100% certainty that this would be the case. But it is logical to think that this is a possibility. Instead of blanket statements to downplay what having a great qb means to the overall game and how situations play out during the course of a game.

anything to downplay kyles horrid play as if Cam=Kyle. 

the next step in this is to ask why this coaching staff put so much on Kyle Allen’s plate? 9ers have a suspect run defense but a great pass defense. Why were we not pounding the rock with cmc early and often? Control the clock, keep the 9ers O off the field as much as possible. 

Will be a hell of a DC for Jacksonville soon.

I know the general belief is "he'll be a head coach again in five minutes", and maybe he will.

I just wish more people understood that's not actually a good argument in favor of keeping him.

Archived