• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect, thank the maker that Cam Newton did not start

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Pantherzack179812 said:

If Cam was 100% healthy, I could reasonably say 55% of the time we answer the 49ers 1st score. They throw that interception Cam takes it in again we’re up 14-7 instead of down 7-3. 49ers have to change their play calling being down 7 already. Ultimately, I’ve been arguing for Allen to start until Cam is 100%, that stays the same. Kyle starts vs TN and doctors evaluate for GB. If saints lose next week I might push pretty hard for Cam vs GB. My question. What was bothering him in September? The shoulder or foot? If it was the foot and those passes in camp were legit, then we got a shot to go in the dome and win... why does nobody remember this is the same OC that Julio went off for 300 on us with. We sucked that year but we were not 2-14... Ron Rivera owns Belichick, just some matchups are not great. 

And don’t y’all think for a damn minute Dan Quinn was not sending that damn blueprint he’s been using to own our ass to them. We are 2-6 vs Dan Quinn. The whole league seems to have a losing record vs Sean Payton atm so I’m not mad. As long as we go 10-6, Ron can keep his job after saving the season with a hurt QB. Expecting 13-3 12-4 is crazy with a hurt qb. Win vs TN and GB and let’s get to the dome 6-3. For bad news for y’all, you can’t rule every HARD game a L. Gonna have to beat good teams on the road whether in the wild card or in the regular season to get HFA to win a super bowl. Perfect scenario: Sweep the saints win NFCS Saints destroy NFC east and win in SF in divisional round, Panthers play the Vikings or Packers in Charlotte and get to NFCCG against a saints team we swept at home. Sweeping the saints doesn’t seem impossible to me tbh. They struggled vs Rons defense last year. Pittsburgh I had a sick feeling we sucked. This game I just thought the whole time OMFG they pulled out the 2016 Atlanta BS.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I don't think so. It would have been one of the many Rivera melt downs we have seen over the past 9 years. Healthy Cam didn't matter then, would not have mattered yesterday. Possibly it would only have gotten him hurt again from trying to do too much in a losing team/coach effort. 

How do you know? I'm sure our QB1 would've done a better job because of experience.  Let's not jump off the hype train yet for our game manager though. Stick to those guns. Plus we went back to the predictable "give it to McCaffery and see what happens" gameplan. That formula only works for so long.

Just now, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

How do you know? I'm sure our QB1 would've done a better job because of experience.  Let's not jump off the hype train yet for our game manager though. Stick to those guns. Plus we went back to the predictable "give it to McCaffery and see what happens" gameplan. That formula only works for so long.

Cam doesn't make up for a 40 point differential. 

It ain't over....the perfect storm of fugatude is yet to arrive(albeit a different kind).  Henry is looking at tape and can barely contain his excitement, he is going beast mode against our D and the Titans can't wait to spit on the O-line.  The storm has already developed into a tropical storm and will be a Cat 5 by the time it arrives.  The confidence got beat out of the Panthers Sunday.

The OT rotation non-sense would have gotten Cam creamed again.  I'll pass on that.  Much better for Allen to get humbled, and hopefully rebound for Tennessee.  I am eagerly awaiting Greg Little's return to action.  We need to set that LT position. Because we kept trying to cover for that one spot, everyone else suffered.

Also, Cam couldn't stop the run.  We just got embarrassed from the top down.  Best to learn and move on.  We aren't ready to really play with the big boys yet.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You’re not taking into account the change in offensive play calling if it’s 14-7 after that interception instead of 7-3. In the end that’s correct. 2015 Cam Newton we likely win, 2017 it’s questionable what would’ve happened. 2018 shoot me, we would’ve lost by 60. Is it fair to say Kyle is getting blamed for 3 ints when 2 of them were after the defense had already allowed 34 and the 2nd pick was just after the offense had driven to make it a two score game and defense lied down to kittle and Coleman?

1 minute ago, Pantherzack179812 said:

You’re not taking into account the change in offensive play calling if it’s 14-7 after that interception instead of 7-3. In the end that’s correct. 2015 Cam Newton we likely win, 2017 it’s questionable what would’ve happened. 2018 shoot me, we would’ve lost by 60. Is it fair to say Kyle is getting blamed for 3 ints when 2 of them were after the defense had already allowed 34 and the 2nd pick was just after the offense had driven to make it a two score game and defense lied down to kittle and Coleman?

If you’re down 7 points in the 1st qtr, you don’t get to do the Coleman bullcrap  all day if Cam is supercam and playing ball possession and scoring every drive. But 2015 Cam is not walking out the door until at best week 15 2019 if Ron let’s him rest. The team will never do it, but I wish we would bench Cam and let Kyle finish our 2019 and let him get healthy. If were 10-6 and a wild card team, let’s be 2010 Green Bay and get a 100% Cam out there. Especially if were the 5 seed playing the NFC East, the only thing better then that is a first round bye. 

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

a healthy cam would've kept us competitive i believe

Coaching was a huge issue in this game and I will never understand the bone headed move of to start the game with the change at tackles, but I agree because the offense added nothing today and failed to move the ball.  They failed to gain 20 yards on 10/14 possessions.

The 49ers had 23 pts off turnovers.  INT to our 27 (TD), INT to our 10 (TD), INT to our 9 (FG), Down at our 41 (TD).

And our defense for as badly as they were outschemed still set up all 13 pts today.  INT to opp 41 (FG), Safety, Return after free kick following safety to mid field (TD).

our D sucked today.   no way around that.  our 0 sucked today.  no way around that.  our special teams sucked today.  no way around that.   we were unprepared and looked stale and flat.   ron and norv's play calling looked like two syphilitic old men trying to play backgammon on a chess board.  not the first time a shannahan O made us look like idiots.    its probably not gonna be the last

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It would not have mattered if Tom Brady started for the Carolina Panthers yesterday. It was destined to be a butt whooping before the Panthers ever stepped foot off the plane. 

Thank goodness Cam did not play or the national narrative right now surrounding this team would be brutal. Better to have Kyle take a beating and have a bad game. This kind of loss as Cam's first game back would be a perfect storm of fugatude. 

Agreed.  That 49ers teams would beat the ever-living sh*t out of the Patriots.

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This is really elementary analysis.

games change based on situations. You can’t just say “oh he couldn’t have put up 40 more points”

what happens if Cam connects with Samuel back of end zone. Or if we score 7 after Luke’s pick. Changes the entire dynamics of the game.

yall really downplay how much of an impact elite qb play has on a game. 

We could argue for days about what another QB could have done in that scenario, but let's just get down to brass tacks. We've made it a point to base our coaching philosophy around defense, and we've poured our fair share of resources into that side of the ball. No I'm not saying we haven't put resources into the offense, but this is a defensive team, that's been the Panthers identity for years now. It isn't really debatable. So when I see this staff and roster surrendering another 40 or 50 point loss on the road where the opposing team can literally run just about anything they want with success, my question is, when will it be our turn to finally switch gears? Seems to have paid off for the 49ers.

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

We could argue for days about what another QB could have done in that scenario, but let's just get down to brass tacks. We've made it a point to base our coaching philosophy around defense, and we've poured our fair share of resources into that side of the ball. No I'm not saying we haven't put resources into the offense, but this is a defensive team, that's been the Panthers identity for years now. It isn't really debatable. So when I see this staff and roster surrendering another 40 or 50 point loss on the road where the opposing team can literally run just about anything they want with success, my question is, when will it be our turn to finally switch gears? Seems to have paid off for the 49ers.

that ironsaint dude was saying in another thread the saints weren't getting anywhere until payton finally got rid of all his sycophant assistants. he outlined it pretty well. i think we're looking at the same issue truthfully.    and on another note you're handling allen's extremely inaccurate and poor performance with 100% class and i want to say i noticed.

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This is really elementary analysis.

games change based on situations. You can’t just say “oh he couldn’t have put up 40 more points”

what happens if Cam connects with Samuel back of end zone. Or if we score 7 after Luke’s pick. Changes the entire dynamics of the game.

yall really downplay how much of an impact elite qb play has on a game. 

What happens if Cam looks bad like Cam has always looked when the team implodes around him? 

Archived