• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this the biggest game of the past couple of seasons?

Jeremy Igo

No and here is why. The year was 2013, a scrappy, underdog Panthers team went into San Fran and beat a very good Harbaugh 49ers team.

Playoff time comes and it’s a rematch,  San Fran beats us and makes it to the NFCCG that year.

My point- I’m not reading much into this game at all because we could easily be the 2013 49ers in this situation. Besides, it’s very hard to beat a team twice in a row, so it could end up being a silver lining if we lose this one and have a rematch in the playoffs

its honestly hard to believe we have a game as important as this one.  part of me is waiting for the house of cards to crumble, and another part sees we have a really good team with a young kid with seemingly a lot of potential learning how to play qb in actual games.   if we can pull out a W i think our confidence is gonna go thru the roof.   i hate i have to wait until 4pm.  just makes the sunday nerves last an extra 3 hours.  maybe it won't rain and i can split some wood or catch up on some chainsawing i need to deal with.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

It does have a lot of echoes of last year at Pittsburgh too. So, while I want a W, above all I just desperately hope for a respectable close game and no serious injuries.

This was in my mind, too. Get a win, and get out unhurt.. This game feels like one of those hinge points upon which a season turns. 

1 hour ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think it’s getting extra hype from us because we’ve had two weeks to stew and we are just on the other side of the playoff window.  

that said I still think it’s big. 

Well said. You're probably right on both counts.

If we win, it's big in it being a confidence booster. If we lose, it's just another loss.

Last year's Steelers game was big in the demoralizing effect it had on the team and fans. It was also big in the way it affected Cam. That moment, that hit... I think it changed the dynamic of this team in a really bad way, probably worse than the back to back losses to the broncos and refs.

We actually have an elite defense this year, not one held together by tape and chewing gum where Captain Munnerlyn was sometimes a starter. I don’t think a drubbing like the one the Steelers gave us will happen again during Rivera’s tenure. I think if we lose, it’ll be close. 

Archived