• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grill Bill: Bill says enjoy the ride

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Kyle has begun his career much better than Andrew.

Yeah, people are discounting his performance to date off of a few stats.  It’s apparent the team is playing harder and better for him at this point. Whether that continues or not remains to be seen, but right now the eye test says it’s good.   

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So I won't rule anything out but the only 1 in that category is Manning in Indy.  The Colts could have thought Manning will never be the same again and he did have a huge cap hit which have both been brought up as reasons to move on from Newton, but no one should confuse Kyle Allen for Andrew Luck who made what could have been a hard decision a hell of a lot easier.  I like Kyle Allen a lot and didn't want the team to draft a QB because of him but I just don't see this emerging player type argument (at least not yet).

Here's the thing;

Opinions on Kyle Allen aren't actually relevant to what's going to happen with Cam Newton. Allen could turn into the worst player on the planet or the best quarterback in NFL history and neither would make a difference to Cam Newton's health.

If the Panthers aren't confident enough to gamble on Newton's future, they'll replace him. It might be with Kyle Allen, it might be with Will Grier, it might be with somebody else; difficult to say right now because a lot is up in the air.

That's why I think the continual effort to try to downgrade Allen or act like the team is winning in spite of him (which is a ridiculously stupid idea) is such a waste of time.

If the team moves on from Newton, then it will happen regardless of whether his successor is Kyle Allen or someone else.

That's just reality.

a healthy and ready Cam plays over Allen.  Simple as that.  Doesn't matter if Allen is 5-0, 9-0, 7-2, whatever. 

Carolina has been pretty dishonest IMO about Cam.  Something just seems off about all this from the beginning.  We have no clue what is up w/ Cam big  picture and why the odd 100% only bar was set publicly.   To me that gives them a lot of wiggle room in the event we see him with the team and looking fine.  And that odd bar was set before Allen hit this win streak. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

a healthy and ready Cam plays over Allen.  Simple as that.  Doesn't matter if Allen is 5-0, 9-0, 7-2, whatever. 

Carolina has been pretty dishonest IMO about Cam.  Something just seems off about all this from the beginning.  We have no clue what is up w/ Cam big  picture and why the odd 100% only bar was set publicly.   To me that gives them a lot of wiggle room in the event we see him with the team and looking fine.  And that odd bar was set before Allen hit this win streak. 

Something is off for sure.  Not sure what it is, but this entire thing has been weird. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'd point out that some NFL analysts - Steve Smith included - disagree with you on that first point.

Regardless of opinions on that though, I do find myself wondering if the shock of Andrew Luck's sudden, unexpected retirement weighs on the mind of Panthers brass at all.

I have to admit if I were in their shoes, it'd probably be renting a small space in the back of my mind.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mind you, that's not to say Cam is done, but you can't really go by teammates. They're never gonna be objective.

When team mates talk about Cam..you can't go by team mates.  They're never going to be objective.

Yet when we talk about Kyle Allen..you specifically list how his team mates are talking about him.  And imply that I should listen.

You keep trying to act like you are being a moderate, you are riding the fence.  But you clearly have a proAllen AntiNewton agenda.

1 minute ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

When team mates talk about Cam..you can't go by team mates.  They're never going to be objective.

Yet when we talk about Kyle Allen..you specifically list how his team mates are talking about him.  And imply that I should listen.

Are they talking about performance, or are they saying they want him back?

More to the point, if you ask them their opinion of a performance, I can accept that as valid.

Asking them a health question? Not so much.

Believe it or not though, teammates can actually both say that Kyle Allen is good and that they want Cam Newton back.

I realize this is a mind-blowing concept, but it's actually true.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the thing;

Opinions on Kyle Allen aren't actually relevant to what's going to happen with Cam Newton. Allen could turn into the worst player on the planet or the best quarterback in NFL history and neither would make a difference to Cam Newton's health.

If the Panthers aren't confident enough to gamble on Newton's future, they'll replace him. It might be with Kyle Allen, it might be with Will Grier, it might be with somebody else; difficult to say right now because a lot is up in the air.

That's why I think the continual effort to try to downgrade Allen or act like the team is winning in spite of him (which is a ridiculously stupid idea) is such a waste of time.

If the team moves on from Newton, then it will happen regardless of whether his successor is Kyle Allen or someone else.

That's just reality.

I agree, the top topic should always have been the organization's comfort with Newton's health going forward but that isn't as easy to make catchy graphics or proclamations out of.  Especially with how close to the chest the team is playing it.  I don't know that the true effort is to downgrade Allen as most should be pleased with what they are seeing from a 23 yo UDFA.  Allen's play does becomes the focal point unfortunately because the loudest opinions make it out to be Allen vs Newton.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Are they talking about performance, or are they saying they want him back?

More to the point, if you ask them their opinion of a performance, I can accept that as valid.

Asking them a health question? Not so much.

Believe it or not though, teammates can actually both say that Kyle Allen is good and that they want Cam Newton back.

I realize this is a mind-blowing concept, but it's actually true

You don't think a team mate is going to talk up his fellow team mates performance, regardless?

Come on man.

No team mate is going to say to a reporter that they don't have faith in their QB.  

I feel like your entire argument is based on assuming every single person you encounter is an idiot and won't see through your silly statements.

Team mates will always give biased reviews that support fellow team mates to the press.  INB4 you find the 1 time it didnt happen, and pretend like that 1 time out of 50 trillion destroys my argument.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I agree, the top topic should always have been the organization's comfort with Newton's health going forward but that isn't as easy to make catchy graphics or proclamations out of.  Especially with how close to the chest the team is playing it.  I don't know that the true effort is to downgrade Allen as most should be pleased with what they are seeing from a 23 yo UDFA.  Allen's play does becomes the focal point unfortunately because the loudest opinions make it out to be Allen vs Newton.

There are definitely people making that effort, but most of them for emotional reasons.

The ultimate answer is that Newton will either be back or he won't. Even if he is, you've still got age, salary and injury history considerations to think about. And yes, he could decide to retire.

if he does, then it's in everyone's best interest that Kyle Allen be really really good. Otherwise, we're searching for a quarterback again.

Archived